Author Topic: Another Red One. AKA 1/2 Scale Gade Build  (Read 24412 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Another Red One. AKA 1/2 Scale Gade Build
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2015, 11:19:44 PM »
Hi Jason,
 That's a great "how too" the finished article look amazing!
Only question I have is does any of the sand surface still show?  I tried zooming in but it wasn't clear, not that not having any detracts from the finished article.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2015, 08:06:47 AM »
................... does any of the sand surface still show? 

There are two factors that need to be considered here, what was the surface like on the original and scale.

On a lot of full size engines you won't see that much evidence of "sand" texture to the surface, these are a couple of photos of a full size Gade for example

Now that we know what the surface was like it needs to be scaled down, OK this is a 1/2 scale model so it won't be as smooth as some of the other engines on the forum should be which may be 1/4, 1/6 or even 1/12 scale. As an example using abrasive paper as a sand surface we could say the original was cast in 120grit sand which you would be able to see the grains of, my model would be 240g starting to get harder to see and by the time you get down to the smaller scales you definately won't see sand at 600-1200g particularly under a coat of paint.

Well paint dried overnight ;)

First thing was to put the engine back together and make sure it still ran OK Ignor the 1/3rd scale tile it is 1/2 scale :-[

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZHIXkAQkTo[/youtube1]

Then it could be mounted on the cart and a few photos taken

The test wires were changed for more traditional looking cotton braided wire with a nice plug clip from S/S

I think the cylinder fins turned out reasonably OK in the end given how bad they were to start with

And finally the obligatory Coke can shot to get an idea of size, tape measure should help too

And a couple out in the field where these engines belong

And finally a quick test run on the cart to check it works OK with the proper fuel tank and new wires.

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3InhC_WiaI[/youtube1]

Well thats about it for this one, Jason
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:29:53 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2015, 09:33:16 AM »
Hi Jason,
 Many thanks for the explanation on the "sand size" in scale, I figured you would of had it sorted, nice to have it confirmed. The photos of the full size are hard to tell apart from yours! Love the videos!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2015, 12:07:02 PM »
 :headscratch: Did I miss you explaining how to make the label on the side of your ignition box ?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2015, 01:24:01 PM »
:headscratch: Did I miss you explaining how to make the label on the side of your ignition box ?

Jo

Open the zip top plastic bag that it came in, position on side of box with a bit of araldite, drill for two rivits and also araldite them in place. Final job is peel off the protective coating :LittleDevil:

These decent casting kits are quite comprehensive unlike the secondhand ones that have been started and bits lost ;)

Online sco

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »
Nice job Jason.

I guess this is another example of where you can't scale nature - I'm thinking the full size engine would run far longer between 'hits' when running without load due to the proportionally greater flywheel inertia.  A case for some hidden Tungsten maybe?

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »
Beautiful work Jason!

I fully agree with your comments on the scale factors of sand; thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2015, 04:04:34 PM »
Beautifully done Jason and documented. Thanks for the continued educational lessons. Can I ask about the galvanized gas tank and crank guard. Did you fabricate them or use material at hand? Is the gas tank rolled and soft soldered?

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2015, 04:14:34 PM »
These decent casting kits are quite comprehensive unlike the secondhand ones that have been started and bits lost ;)

At least I get to keep mine  ;D

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2015, 04:18:53 PM »
That's a magnificent engine Jason.  It runs great and looks beautiful!
Thanks for sharing your build and the videos.
Kim

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2015, 04:37:01 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments

Don, The gas tank is actually tin plate and was supplied complete with the casting kit, the soldering was a bit rough in a couple of places so I tidied it up as best I could, also added the two mounting lugs and changed the fuel outlet from NPT to ME threads.

Same with the Galv crank guard that was supplied with the kit, just needed a bend at the bottom where it hooks into the main bed casting and two holes for screws at the other end.

Springs, gears, piston rings and most of the fixings were also supplied but I did not use the fixings as I don't have much in the way of UNC taps & dies. There are pics of the hardware etc at the beginning of the thread

J

Online Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2015, 07:11:54 PM »
Once again my mouth just drops open in admiration of a beautiful end product.
In truth I don't think that your build logs show a lot of the work that you put in to your models but I learn from all of them just the same. 
Comment may be sparse but please keep posting, I for one really appreciate the time and effort you put in.
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline fidlstyks

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2015, 01:32:27 AM »
Here is Robert Campbells half scale of , I think he said a high base 2 hp Gade. I did not write it down. He has been at it some time. He has became fascinated with making scale train parts. He has several friends now that they have discovered he makes patterns as well as castings at a local foundry. I am sure he will be back at the Gade patterns some day, but for now it is good at drawing dust as well as attention. :happyreader:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal