Author Topic: C.W. Woodson Vertical Single Steam Engine  (Read 10042 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: C.W. Woodson Vertical Single Steam Engine
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 02:16:04 PM »
Chuck,
Since you had mentioned it as to the thread becoming more of a build log, I have taken the liberty of moving it to the Engines-From Kits/Casting board. If you feel there is a better place for it just let me know but that seemed appropriate. Nice build BTW and I have been quietly following your progress.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 07:15:48 PM »
Chuck I am just catching up on your thread and will be following alone as you progress. Your casting these parts yourself and has me interested.

:popcorn:
Don

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 01:03:31 AM »
Glad to have you Don.
My first engine from my own castings! As I am not real good at pattern making my castings are not perfect. I didn't allow enough for shrink, and it has taken me a year to figure out how to make the standard a split pattern.
I've been concentrating lately on the smaller bits and bobs. I did get the standard pattern split, and when I succeed in making a core for it, I'll have a go at pouring it.
As I have mentioned before, my version of this engine is not perzactly to plan, I have to adapt it to the materials and castings I have at hand.
I will try to remember to post a family shot of parts so far tomorrow.

Chuck

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 01:39:50 PM »
I've got the slide valve finished. Next is the steam chest. As my pattern for the cylinder isn't exactly to plan, the steam chest won't be either.
The steam chest will be made from a chunk of cast iron cut from an old tractor weight. I had to align my 4x6 band saw to cut straight, and after doing that, managed to cut a thin piece of cast for the steam chest cover. After cleaning up the cover is now 1/8" thick.
I want to drill the screw holes in the cover and the body of the steam chest at the same time to insure alignment and save a setup. Will super glue be enough to secure the cover to the body for drilling?

Chuck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal