Author Topic: Dickie a Crew works Shunting Loco  (Read 19796 times)

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
Re: Dickie a Crew works Shunting Loco
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 02:50:34 PM »
Roger, Kerrin, Tom, thanks it was a bit tense to say the least, now back to the progression to get to the present state.

After the cylinders were mostly fabricated the cross slide guide is a wide flat plate that is bolted to the frames the original is a casting from the look of it on the drawings in the crew book but I fabricated it from some flat stock. the cross slide is a piece of brass bar.

The footplate is cut from a sheet of 1/4 inch thick flat aluminum sheet. The edge was milled to give the illusion that the top part of the plate is only 1/16th thick. 

and the support plates for the boiler were done so that the inner support plates would create a simple cradle with a top part that slipped over the boiler tube like a u clamp with four bolts up through the bottom. it was while making these clamps that the boiler rolled off yesterday.

because the boiler will have cross tubes I wanted to be able to clean and do maintenance on the boiler so chose to fabricate it in a similar way to the original by bolting it all together in a bit of a hybrid way, but it seems to be working out.

I made the fire bars from some old BBQ grill I found at the dump after leaving them in the bonfire to clean off any organic material I broke them up and machined the parts into some nice flat cast iron bars.

So this is where things are now A partially finished boiler, frames and cylinders. but I am glad that I have taken it down from the shelf to get back working on it. So I can now alternate between a big and small engines, one steam and one I.C.

Mike

If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline AOG

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 04:24:57 PM »
I have a question. If you bolt it together like that how will you make it steam tight?

Tony

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
Hi Tony, when i have all the surfaces mated properly I will use a high temp silicone as a gasget, this will be a low pressure boiler not a high pressure one.

Mike

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 05:54:15 PM »
Nice fix with the damage Mike.  :ThumbsUp:

You're doing some great work.

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

And I really like your Pet Model what gauge is it?.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline AOG

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 05:56:59 PM »
Will that work for sealing the fire tube? I thought that stuff was only good up to about 200C.

Thanks

Tony

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 06:05:47 PM »
Stew, thanks for your  kind remarks the gauge on the little pet is 16.5mm

Tony, the way that the boiler is set up I plan to ensure that there is no contact with flame on the gasket materials at the smokebox end. this will still need a bit of work to sort out completely, but I am working on it.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 05:28:20 AM »
The fall of the boiler actually did a fair bit of damage that was not fully apparent at first, I spent most of the day working at getting the surfaces flat again, a lot of elbow grease with files and sanding sticks and plates. The first picture shows just how much the plate has been bumped out of flatness, fortunately copper is soft after the silver soldering so it is not too difficult to get it flat it just takes time.

getting there

The big tube was not as difficult at one end more work at the other end.

The most difficult part to get flat and smooth was the inside of the plate that is silver soldered to the firebox tube at the firebox end it was this end of the boiler that sustained the most deformation.

The smokebox end had the least deformation but is the end that has to mate with both the inner and outer tubes

I have begun finishing the bolts to hold the tubes and plates together these are 2x56 allen head cap screws with brass nuts that I am making from hex stock, all the screw are 11/32" which means cutting down longer ones, tedious work for sure. the plates mate very well so I am confident that the high temp silicone will work. The boiler pressure will be 50 psi max for this model, it is not an express but a small works engine.

It is easier to cut down the 1/2 inch long screws than the 3/8th ones so that is the progress to date.

Mike

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 09:17:26 AM »
I'm glad your repair worked. very impressive indeed.
with all those bolts , it really does look like a scale replica rather than a model facsimile.
How are you cutting the bolts down to size? like making studs, it's one of those jobs I find a chore so am always looking for easy ways of doing it.

yours

peter

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »
Hi Peter thanks , the way I am shortening the bolts is simple but slow. the hex is cut to the length I need and the bolt is slipped in with about a 1/16 inch of thread at the cutting end so I don't have to thread it all the way once it is cut off the a quick lick of a very fine fine.

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 05:34:29 PM »
thanks for the reply and photos. I like the idea and shall file away for later use

cheers

peter

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 09:01:14 PM »
Finished the bolts at the firebox end, after they were all installed I gave then a final leveling on the flat sheet using the traditional figure eight motion. Now to finish making the next sets at the smokebox end. when I take it all apart again I will put a slight rounding on the outer face of the nuts to dress them up a bit.

Mike

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 01:07:09 AM »
Wow that's a lot of nuts and bolts; it sure looks nice Mike!

I'm glad you were able to salvage the boiler; I'll bet your heart just sank when it dove for the floor. :wallbang:

Dave

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2015, 02:32:29 AM »
Mike, I love  :Love:  seeing the WIP, I am wondering where you acquired the drawings for such a charming project. Being a 'plans collector' of sorts, I would be very interested in obtaining a set of the drawings…..

BC1
Jim

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2015, 04:08:32 AM »
Dave, yes the sound of copper colliding with concrete was definitely sickening my first words were  :censored:

Jim I am using the works drawing that is published in the "Crew Works Narrow Gauge System" by Edward Talbot and Clive Taylor. second edition 2005 ISBN 0-9546951-1-1-9 to create my own plans for the model after supper I will upload a PDF of what I have draw so far.

Mike

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 04:45:32 AM »
Hi Jim this is a PDF of the work in progress of the drawings I am developing for the 18 inch gauge loco of Dickie, The completed drawings will end up as a suit of drawings of all the parts and a general arrangement when I have finished them

These are by no means final, the actual drawings are in Autocad LT 2000, as I am building parts i am going back and adjusting the drawings to reflect the as built condition. The scale is a little odd because I am using 2 1/2 inches to represent 18 inches it comes out to 1:7.2, but of course the beauty of Cad is that once the data base is drawn the scale can be manipulated to be whatever one wants.

anyway here is the PDF

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal