Author Topic: Dickie a Crew works Shunting Loco  (Read 19798 times)

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
Dickie a Crew works Shunting Loco
« on: April 19, 2015, 03:53:02 AM »
A few years ago I began building a model of the Crew Works Shunting Locomotive call Dickie. This engine was designed by F W Webb in 1876 the year an article in the journal "Engineering" on the 1st September described Dickie and the earlier engine called Billy
the engines were described here http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Engineering_22%2C_July-Dec_1876_-_Part_2.djvu/page48-1280px-Engineering_22%2C_July-Dec_1876_-_Part_2.djvu.jpg

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/2/25/Im1876ev22-p178.jpg

First I made a plastic model

Then sorted out the splined shaft for the shifting of the valves for forward and reverse I took some steel pinion that i had in the scrap box and cut off every second tooth and then while it was clamped in the 3 jaw chuck on the Myford and also held in the drill chuck in the tailstock, I then used a propane torch to heat up the centre section when it was red hot I rotated the chuck by hand to create the spiral. 

Not a valid vimeo URL
I posted some of the progress about this engine a few years ago on a different website, I have now decided to get back to working on this model again  as well as the tiny IC engine.

I will show the development to the current state of this model in the coming posts, I will need to scratch my head a bit to remember some of the work I have uploaded a lot of pictures now to my Photobucket site so it will be easy to build the log.

Mike

If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Dickie a Crew works Shunting Loco
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:44:31 AM »
That looks to be an interesting project and a good solution to the first challenge  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I will be following along  :popcorn:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »
Roger thanks for having a look.
Making the Gears was a challenge because I did not want to set up the big rotary table which would mean also setting up a chuck on it so after machining the aluminum to the correct diameter I mounted a 30 tooth Myford change wheel to the end as a guide. mounted the lot between a new set of "V" blocks, I had the right cutter fortunately so this was used to cut the gear.

I am using the gear that is clamped to the end of the Aluminum rod. I indexed it by hand, un-clamping the shaft then using the gear cutter by moving the table and slowly slotting the cutter into the gear tipping it up and down until there is no movement rotating the gear then re clamping the gear and aluminum then making the next cuts, which are approx .090. tricky but it seems to be working.

This was the simplest way I could cut the gear blank, the thing is it works.......

While studying the Webb drawings in the Crew book I realized that the sliding gear only had to rotate the spline through 90 degrees, because the wheels are quartered.

Mike

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:57:12 AM »
Interesting project Mike. I am curious as to how you cut the internal helical spline teeth in the brass bushing that fits through the gear.

Bill

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 01:14:19 AM »
Bill the answer is that I didn't in these pictures

the ends if the brass screws are the shape of the gear tooth and since the torque on the gear is quite low I am confident that it will work well.

Next the cylinders were fabricated from bar stock.

In the next installment I will show how I did the wheel bearings.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:21:13 AM by mike mott »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 01:25:48 AM »
Hi Mike

Another interesting project; I had the same question as Bill, and earlier today I had seen the picture with the bolts in the bushing and never really gave any thought that they were driving the bushing along the splines.

I'm not a steam guy but I am looking forward to seeing more of this project.

Very nice work so far.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:38:54 AM »
It makes sense now Mike. Like Dave, I saw the bolts in the picture earlier but didn't make the connection. Thanks for clarifying.

Bill

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 04:10:49 AM »
Mike

Like the looks of this already!  I'll be following along  :popcorn:

Joe

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 06:26:45 AM »
Hi Dave,  Joe,   Bill thanks for following along, and the kind remarks.

At the moment this is moving along fairly quickly because I have already done a lot of this work.

The wheel bearing changed from straight circular bushings to something more complex.

First a simple quartering jig I used a couple of quick squares, and set the wheels with loctite.

I wanted to be able to take the wheels out of the bearing for future maintenance and it is better practice to be more prototypical in my view.

The slotted bearings worked better.

Next up was to machine up the connecting rods, a good friend who drives a 7.5 inch steam loco suggested using aluminum for the rods so I followed his advice. and set up a simple jig to do the milling.

Mike

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 07:34:01 AM »
Hi Mike

Being born and bred in Crewe I know of these trams engines they were used to transport goods around the Crewe Loco works the engine you are modelling was one of Webs later engines the earlier engines were designed by Ramsbottom, I have a book on these engines I'll post you the detail of the book later. One of Ramsbottoms engine is preserved at the York railway Museum, I took some pictures of it a few years ago, sorry there isn't a full picture but I was after pictures of detail as I was contemplating modelling it.

I'll get back to you later with book details

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 02:27:54 PM »
Good morning Stew, thanks for posting the picture and drawing of Pet. I also have the book that you speak of, if it is the one I am thinking of. I have a lot of pictures of Pet because it is my other favourite engine, and I have been developing my own drawings for it as well as the ones for the Webb engine. my main drawings are in Autocad Lt the one I have posted is in Corel Draw 11

Marine IC engines are new to me and the tiny buffalo one I am working on is for a boat model.  I am a steam guy from way back. I have a few different locos part built, but that is another story.

here are a couple of pictures of my tiny pet in brass.

I have all sorts of pictures of the undercarriage and linkage and cylinders as well.

Back to Dickie and the rods, I used the rotary table to finish off the ends.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:42:28 PM by mike mott »

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 06:19:28 AM »
Today I had a one of those moments that makes the pit of your stomach knot up tight. while filing some 1/4 inch thick aluminum that is going to be used for the outside shell the boiler rolled off the loco and  hit the floor.

It all began after spending two hours cutting out the plates with a jewelers saw, no I did not break any blades.

these plates are meant to fit over this boiler like this first one

the second plat was just a little tight so I set it up in the vice and filed the inside a little at a time and kept testing it to be a nice slide fit over the boiler, then it happened!

both ends were damaged

I felt gutted.  the firebox end was the worst because both the outer and inner tubes were deformed. After taking it apart I turned up some Thornton bearing stock that I just happened to have into a shallow cone in order to tap it into the small tube to see if I could reform it without too much trouble.

After a few goes the tapered plug managed to reshape the bore the flange flattened out pretty easily the squashed holes on the perimeter were a different challenge.

I ground down a scriber to work the alignment little by little and managed to get the bolts back through the holes.

That is about it for today.

Mike 

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 07:21:03 AM »
That's a good save  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Still following along  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 11:03:29 AM »
Hi Mike,
 Real nice save!! :ThumbsUp:

Sitting back,  :popcorn: :DrinkPint: in hand waiting for the next update!!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »
Good Job on repairing the damage.

This is a very interesting engine and build. Love the reversing mechanism.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal