Author Topic: A new friend  (Read 161610 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: A new friend
« Reply #510 on: July 30, 2015, 08:20:59 AM »
OK, let's go metric then .. these are 5.48mm x 7.09mm x 24mm-ish.

Should be 5.56mm x 7.14mm eh ??????????????

Doubtful if brushes are made to nanotad accuracy ??

I don't think you would have much success milling brushes, we took them down by rubbing on 'Open-Coat' garnet paper. Very quick and very mucky.

Have look at the commutator where the brushes don't track, this will indicate whether the comm. should be undercut or flush. Some are flush.

The binding cord varnish does look a bit hot and bothered, could just be the brushes running hot but Don's advice to look at the solder is sound.   

Anyway, bacon sarnie time, brushes .... want 'em ??

Dave
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:28:50 PM by Bluechip »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #511 on: July 30, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »
.... want 'em ??

Dave

Yes please  :whoohoo:

PM with my address on its way :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #512 on: July 30, 2015, 05:41:25 PM »
Jo from the look at your armature commutator, it looks like the solder has started to melt and come out of the bars. The armature must be running hot. One thing you need to do is to use a hacksaw blade and grind it to the thickness of the mica in between the commutator bars and use it to undercut the mica. The mica is harder then the copper and will make the brushes arc. Use the blade to clean between the bars and cut the mica below the copper. Inspect the bars carefully to see if and connections have come unsoldered.
If the armature is shorted when your done cleaning and reassembled it, it will pull heavy current and the brushes will arc. Amp check the motor in operation to be sure it is working properly.

Regards Don

Thanks Don I will pull it apart again and check the mica. It had been having a little sparkle I assume it was a little more of that carbon having become dry/loose after the break cleaner went :zap:

Jo.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #513 on: July 31, 2015, 08:21:15 AM »
I did a bit of undercutting and reassembled the motor. The only sparkles are now under the brushes as it rotates  8).

I had it confirmed that those brushes would have started out much, much longer.

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #514 on: July 31, 2015, 09:12:07 AM »
Jo

can you get at the brushes with the motor assembled ?

if you can then you can bed them in with a little bit of fine "Sandpaper "  the stuff the wood chucks use not under any circumstances use emery it will embed into the copper

or shop around for a product call "com stick"  its a stick of a chalk like mild abrasive you touch on the com when under power ( they are a insulator so its ok ) that will bed the brushes in PDQ

small sparks under the brushes are OK when they go round with the com its not good

Note I did two years during my apprenticeship in the stator and armature winding dept

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #515 on: July 31, 2015, 09:41:01 AM »
.... want 'em ??

Dave

Yes please  :whoohoo:

PM with my address on its way :naughty:

Jo

Brushes on way 1st Class post @ 09:01    :ThumbsUp:

Pole position in Post Office ....   :whoohoo:  Not stuck behind all the  Giro-clutching  :censored: .

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #516 on: July 31, 2015, 10:27:42 AM »

No but there is an inspection hole that you can see the commutator as it rotates  :insane:

small sparks under the brushes are OK when they go round with the com its not good

That was what it was doing yesterday   :facepalm2: before I disassembled it and cleaned it a second time.

Pole position in Post Office ....   :whoohoo:  Not stuck behind all the  Giro-clutching  :censored: .

Dave

;D Thanks Dave. 

:headscratch: I can never understand why they want to go every week to the Post office why don't they get it paid into the bank, or maybe they are worried their other halves might see the money as their tool/casting allowance  :LittleDevil:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #517 on: July 31, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »

No but there is an inspection hole that you can see the commutator as it rotates  :insane:

That was what it was doing yesterday   :facepalm2: before I disassembled it and cleaned it a second time.

Dave

;D Thanks Dave. 

:headscratch: I can never understand why they want to go every week to the Post office why don't they get it paid into the bank, or maybe they are worried their other halves might see the money as their tool/casting allowance  :LittleDevil:

Jo

A bank account needs an address IIRC. I doubt if a tatty collection of bin-liners and Tesco bags cuts the mustard re: the 'Fixed Abode' bit.  Tools/Castings implies 'WORK'. Familiar to them only as the likely cause of  PTSD, therefore to be avoided like the plague...

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #518 on: July 31, 2015, 11:45:10 AM »
 ;)

Following a discussion with Muddled Engineer, we have agreed that the oil probably sneaked into Mr Silky's carriage motor when someone over filled the carriage with oil  :ShakeHead:

I am very impressed with Mr Silky's lubrication system. His little plunger at the back of the carriage is doing its job nicely, I thought it would only lubricate the saddle and the cross slide but his top slide is always nicely oily as well. His first stroke of each evening is a gentle pull of his plunger  :mischief:

Jo

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #519 on: July 31, 2015, 12:00:41 PM »
when someone over filled the carriage with oil

It's easily done . As you know, the oil level window sits just below the filler hole , you can't be sure how much ATF you have to put in the things until it's too much.

P.S. they usually drip oil from the handle dial area if they have ever been over filled (it sets up a syphon action).

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #520 on: August 01, 2015, 10:59:46 AM »
The brushes arrived this morning and are already fitted   :cartwheel:

Mr Silky says a big Thank you Dave   ;D

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #521 on: August 01, 2015, 12:58:09 PM »
Strewth! That was quick ... privatisation seems to have geed up the Post office no end. Whatever next? ...  :praise2:

I'm pleased that you're pleased that Mr. Silky is pleased so when you've quite finished gloating you wouldn't care to find a use for the rest of the heap would you ???  :lolb:

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #522 on: August 01, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »
so when you've quite finished gloating

We are still on our pre honeymoon Dave but it is less than three weeks now until our partnership becomes official :embarassed:

You know what women are like when they fall in love, it normally takes about 18 months before the reality of their foolishness finally hits them and they realise what mess the hormones have put them in this time  :facepalm:.

Jo
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:03:57 PM by Jo »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #523 on: August 09, 2015, 03:18:21 PM »
Since my friend took a liking to funny shaped collets we found that his two collet racks were over flowing so I had to make a new one to keep them all together  :).

Jo

P.S. I don't want to see another Q-max cutter for a long time  :Doh:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #524 on: August 09, 2015, 04:11:11 PM »
Looks like you still have quite a few gaps to fill, don't suppose that will take you long ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal