Author Topic: A new friend  (Read 159769 times)

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: A new friend
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 08:08:26 AM »
Simon

You don't
Let me explain a static converter (SC) is ok for 90% of uses
A rotary converter (RC ) will provide a more stable supply and offer some inertia into the system, also it enables the SC to be run without a minimum load so it is able to be changed to another machine without shuting down

Now back to my comment the Hardinge lathe demands a proper TP supply with the three legs in very good balance , this is not supplied with a SC as the manufacture the third leg, the Hardinge motor is very special unit and is electrically balanced as well as mechanically , so you have two choices best proper three phase from supply company or alternator set up , next best is a RC .

Hope that helps

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online sco

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 08:49:38 AM »
Bottom line then is not only is the hardware expensive it's got special requirements on the electrical supply front and no doubt leveling and tooling fronts as well.

Jo - I think we need a separate thread to record it's arrival and installation ;-)

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 09:06:17 AM »
Simon, I still haven't met my intended  :Love:

We will be going up to see him a week on friday. If it is love at first sight and I decide I can't live without him, and I feel a mad overwelming desire to let him come and live with me then I will start a thread all about him  ;)

But I don't want any of you getting jealous, I have been young free and single for all these years without any offers so sorry  I had to take things into my own hands  :embarassed:

Jo
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:12:27 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 10:05:04 AM »
Is he totally free and single or like the others before still in a loving relationship?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 10:12:18 AM »
I have been told he is awaiting my pleasure  :mischief:

Jo

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 10:41:55 AM »
Be sure to treat him nicely - you don't want him turning rough.

AS
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:55:44 AM by Allen Smithee »
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »
I don't think he will complain though - you're the first woman I've met who wants to keep the chatter to a minimum

PDR

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 02:47:24 PM »
The very nice gentalman at Transwave was very helpful, I cannot recomend them highly enough  8)

He tells me that my new friend has a dual speed 1.5HP motor and the lower speed at 720 rpm is not fast enough to invent the third phase.  I need a larger motor than the dual speed motor to act as a pilot motor to invent the third phase. I will have to adjust the switch on the front of the Transwave (= the "boost" which increases the output voltage  ;)) to alter the voltage once both motors are running changes the voltage: the higher the switch setting the more volts once the motor is started the volts need to settle at about 420V ;D

So I can run either the Colchester (3HP) or my Harrison (2HP) on no load to get what I need or add a pilot motor :whoohoo:

Jo

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 02:53:04 PM »
SO to help the new friend get started you need the colchester to lend a hand as a fluffer?

PDR

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 04:20:48 PM »
Best bung a few more solar panels on the roof too if you are going to have two motors running just to run one lathe., sounds a right PITA.

Its times like this that I'm glad to have one single phase lathe and one single phase mill :LittleDevil:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
Its times like this that I'm glad to have one single phase lathe and one single phase mill :LittleDevil:

It could be worse some people would give your right arm to have either  :LittleDevil:.

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 05:10:55 PM »
Jo

Stop mucking about get your supply company in and get a TP & N supply in chuck out all the single phase stuff and get nice smooooth power to feed your desirables  :stir: :stir:

Stuart  :stir:
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 05:16:58 PM »
It could be worse some people would give your right arm to have either  :LittleDevil:.

I wouldn't go that far, but I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

PDR

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 05:23:18 PM »
Might just be a bit more than Jo wants to spend ;)

As this is going to be your electric supply to the main machines is it not a bit risky using an iffy motor, the last thing you want is for it to die at the beginning of a holiday period and leave you without the main workhorses. A new 2HP 3-phase motor can be bought for £100 and that spread over the next 20-30 years of model making is not a lot to pay for peace of mind. Or better still sell the static and get a nice new rotary converter from that man.

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 06:14:43 PM »
Stop mucking about get your supply company in and get a TP & N supply in chuck out all the single phase stuff and get nice smooooth power to feed your desirables  :stir: :stir:

The price they quoted 20 years ago for the installation made it clear they did not want to do it. I could buy a couple of my friends much cheaper than they wanted back then  :ShakeHead:

Jason: A 3HP motor, which is what I would need, not this piddle little 2hp, is £200, I am thinking about buying one. The difference between a static converter and a rotary converter is a motor the size of the converter and not a lot else. If I fit one then if the contactor goes again like last time it will blow the pilot motor not the ones in the equipment  :whoohoo:

It would also mean I could use that finger tip reverse on the Colchester for screw cutting but not that I can see myself using the Colchester that much for screw cutting anymore :embarassed:

Jo
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:47:02 PM by Jo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal