Author Topic: A new friend  (Read 159768 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
A new friend
« on: April 15, 2015, 11:01:11 AM »
Edit^2 This thread is all about Mr Silky my Hardinge HLV-H coming to live with me ;D it starts from my problems with thinking about the electrics. Please stay with us he is really worth it  :whoohoo:

Edit: Following a request from Simon I have split this from my Kiwi thread as it relates to a possible new friend  :embarassed: and my trials and tribulations initially preparing for his arrival  ;D

but I think they do need a proper three phase supply to keep them happy or so I have read

Yep, Which is why I have acquired a monster 2HP three phase motor to convert my static converter into a rotary converter  ;) once set up I will have to decide if I want to rewire the workshop with a 3 phase distribution board and sockets :naughty:

Jo
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:39:43 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: A new friend
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 11:41:13 AM »
Sorry Jo but I just knew  you would be up to speed on the electricity requirements.

But please make sure that all the TP is equipotential bonded at least if you can span two machines with your arms  :zap:

I would fit the red plugs and sockets to your machines then you can be sure that when unplugged you are safe get your digits inside the nippy bits in the drive and sparky cabinets

Good luck with the impending Aririval  :happyreader:

Kitty is coming along very nicely .

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 01:50:22 PM »
But please make sure that all the TP is equipotential bonded at least if you can span two machines with your arms  :zap:

:headscratch: You are getting bit techie for me there Stuart, remember that last time I did any of this I was knee high to a grasshopper.

I only every run one machine at a time, there are three wires plus the earth that come out of the Transwave, they are then going to be connected across the monster motor then on to my existing  connection box which stars out to three of the machines. I am being :slap: encouraged to make a proper distribution box and put lots of sockets round the workshop.

I wish kitti was coming on nicely  :-\

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 02:15:24 PM »
Jo

the earthing thing is like your house the taps on your hand basin should be bonded with a earth wire so if on tap became live and you touched that and the other you would get 240 vac across your heart  :zap: dead

back to the WS  your machines should have a earth wire connecting them so that one machine cannot become live in respect of the others hence the name equal potential all the same  a bit of 10 mm sq would do.

if all the TP machines are near to each other then one socket and a trailing lead on each machine would be OK as it would limit the Rotary converter use to only at a time

rereading your post I would bond all the TP machine and your RC and transwave with a separate earth as well as the one in the trailing lead  belt and braces ( nearly said suspenders but thats for the US readers ) :embarrassed:

remember 

you cannot see it
you cannot smell it
but by ek you can feel it
 :zap:

worst jolt i have had apart from spark plugs is being up a ladder and getting across 550 vac TP no its not a typo that was a common supply when i did my time and i still have the scars

take care  maybe a bowl of milk will make Kitty behave

Stuart

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 02:25:37 PM »
3 wire plus earth on all machines/blocks etc  ;)

Will have to think about an extra extra earth lead  :headscratch:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 05:51:23 PM »
A duff motor  :disappointed:: it claims to be 2HP but the transwave can't start it

And trips the earth leakage trip out  :ShakeHead:

Jo

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »
Has it been stored outside? Do you have anywhere you can keep it warm 50-60C for a few days? Do you have/know someone with a Megger (Insulation resistance tester)?
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 06:14:21 PM »
Hi Roger, probably the same person who supplied it to me has a megger, he has everything else ;)

It has been inside for a good week and we are having a warm spell 8) So I don't think it dampness. I think it just another thing that is ganging up on me  :paranoia:

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 06:18:37 PM »
Jo
To add to Roger,s comments

I would get it somwere warm and pop of the idle end end bell , and give it a sniff you will then know if the magic smoke is still inside ,  maybe a little warmth from a low powered fan heater , but do not get it above nice hand heat. It needs the end cover off to allow air to circulate

If you can get a mega I would not test above twice the operating voltage no need to stress the insulation any more that you need to.

Good luck with it

At the risk of getting bit try it without the earth wire disconnected but do not touch it that will negate the leakage trip
Stuart
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:22:13 PM by Stuart »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 07:29:09 PM »
If it is tripping the earth leakage circuit breaker the windings are either damp or damaged.

If the Transwave can't start it there are a couple of things to check/try. Some motors can be wired in delta for 230V (inverter connected to normal single phase mains) or in star for use on normal 400V 3 phase. There will be 6 terminals under the cover, three should be connected together and the supply should go to the other three for star (400V). If I remember correctly the motor in your Colchester is around this size so the Transwave should cope. A final check is to wrap some string around the motor shaft and get it spinning before you turn it on (note you will need to try both directions).
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »
There is no funny smells. It has been 25 degrees for two days so that should have warmed it up.

I am not going to try it without an earth wire  :hellno: until I have checked the insultation with a megger

Roger, it only has three terminals under the cover so there is no choice of connection, the plate says 400/440V :( The motor was chosen as a 2HP as it is the same size as the Colchester. 

Another day, another night and no swarf to show for it :toilet_claw:

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 08:59:20 PM »
Jo

without a earth is ok for a test just do not touch it

if you have a AVO/ or WHY  do a inter winding resistance reading it should be pretty close , I cannot say what it will be though , that should give you a clue to its health

The problem with us hands on sparks we test things in an unorthodox manner , take short cuts and forget that our/my methods may  be at odds to the modern thinking , but when the chips were down with a downtime of £40 million every 5 mins you had to come up with the answers , ek when I started they did not even issue marigolds for live working ,so sorry if my methods seem strange

Stuart

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 11:10:52 PM »
Maybe I should go back to embroidery

That could mean the end of this forum for more than one member.  :Doh:

Such thoughts should not be uttered much less thought. Thinked? Thunk?  :insane:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 11:46:52 PM »
Jo if you have a regular volt ohm meter you can check the insulation to see how much of a ground you have. If you get 100K ohm it is certainly moisture. Once you verify it,s moisture remove the ground to run it only and no touching. Please use a amp meter when you run it to make sure your pulling equal current on all mains and no overload?

Don

Online sco

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 07:55:13 AM »
but I think they do need a proper three phase supply to keep them happy or so I have read

Yep, Which is why I have acquired a monster 2HP three phase motor to convert my static converter into a rotary converter  ;) once set up I will have to decide if I want to rewire the workshop with a 3 phase distribution board and sockets :naughty:

Jo

For those of us not so knowledgeable on this three phase lark why would you want to have a motor to convert a static converter into a rotary converter anyway?

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal