Author Topic: A new friend  (Read 161621 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: A new friend
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »
I've seen the pics from the machinery dating site, just hope he is as good in the flesh as the ones posted, you never can tell these days.

Looks like you better get a shift on and move that workshop wall, maybe even further than you thought if all this extra baggage that he comes with starts to mount up.

Will he get the nice sunny spot infront of the window?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2015, 02:47:09 PM »
He was going to get the window seat but he is as big as the Colchester, then he wants another 13" on the left to allow the collet closer to be removed and I am trying to avoid moving that wall  :paranoia:

The current housing plan involves cutting down the work bench, moving Cowells 2 into the house and finding someone to give Cowells 1 a new home. But I won't really know what is needed until he gets here, it does feel like a take over bid :-\

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2015, 03:25:13 PM »
I'm wondering if Jo is being internet-groomed by a 100-year-old Boxford posing with borrowed photographs...

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline John Hill

• Playing in my shed at Ashburton, New Zealand.
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2015, 10:37:42 PM »
He was going to get the window seat but he is as big as the Colchester, then he wants another 13" on the left to allow the collet closer to be removed and I am trying to avoid moving that wall  :paranoia:

I am sure that would be the ideal place to put in a new window!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2015, 07:25:38 AM »
I had another measure: to the end of the Prazimat from the wall is 58", his base is 68" and the removal of the collet closer needs another 13", so he wants 81" :( , I could drop the end of the bench 1/2" under the over lap but that only gains an extra 4". Or I cut the distance I need off the end of the bench and I find myself standing opposite a pillar rather than the window when I am turning   :-[

If I move the wall I can gain 24": its the obvious way to go, its going to take forever  :paranoia:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2015, 07:50:35 AM »
Take out the whole bench along that wall and put him on the right hand side where you used to have the hobbymat, should put you opposite the right hand window and his head where the column is. Add a small bench to fill in the space between door and the lathe where the PZ is which the closer can oversail.

He probably stands out further from the wall so this would also stop him blocking the doorway.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2015, 07:53:34 AM »
Jo

By EK he's a demanding fella , I just knew he would take over the WS , but he will be worth it in the long run , give him a nice place and you will both be happy

Do it know not later or you wil not do it

4 inches surly you ment 100 mm , but you had me going for a moment  :mischief:

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2015, 08:23:56 AM »
Jason that would loose my assembly bench  :o He is no wider than the Prazimat, but he is a bit taller 

4 inches surly you ment 100 mm , but you had me going for a moment  :mischief:

Stuart: He's an American  :shrug: This is just one of his bad habits that I will slowly have to discourage but don't let on just yet   ;)

The advantage of moving the wall is I will then have the space for the bigger mill  ;D and if I move the vice bench to the middle I could fit even more desirable machine tools in  :pinkelephant: But then I think about the amount of work moving that wall, all that engine making time lost :toilet_claw:

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2015, 08:31:05 AM »
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2015, 09:21:11 AM »
The other disadvantage of moving the wall at the window side of the workshop is you will end up with teh side door opening straight into the workshop and loose that airlock space you have now to keep the heat in.  Are are you only thinking of moving it the width of the third window pane?

I think I would do as above and then when the bigamist Bridgeport turns up put a dogleg in the partition where you have the pillar drill and just move the partition beyond that.

Your assembly bench would be where you currently have the PZ and lets face it these little aero engines don't need a lot of room to assemble :)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »
Are are you only thinking of moving it the width of the third window pane?

Yes that is why it is only 24" of movement.

I think I would do as above and then when the bigamist Bridgeport turns up put a dogleg in the partition where you have the pillar drill and just move the partition beyond that.

I was going to move the entire wall, keeping it flat and gain the 24" the full width, which would give me space for a bigger mill like a Beaver that has a nice 30 Int nose and is rigid enough to make swarf at a good pace >:D

Your assembly bench would be where you currently have the PZ and lets face it these little aero engines don't need a lot of room to assemble :)

:headscratch: The Aeronca, Anzani's, Cirrus and Gypsy are not pocket sized engines :stickpoke:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
Ok so 610mm is not going to interfear with the external door.

How often are you likely to need to remove the collet closer? if not often think about a hinged panel in the partition.

I still think that putting him here

Would be the best place as you will have a window to day machine-dream out of, the green cutting mat assembly bench can then move to here

Which will place his headstock by the column where you have the wooden draws, you will then have room to remove the collet closer above the assembly bench and also have easy access to the banjo when you want him to play a different tune, also allows long metal to stick out the spindle if needed.

You could do this without having to move the partition which could be left until the mill is sorted, it will have to be taken down to get the mill in anyway, only slight downside is the assembly bench will want extending 610mm.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »
No the door is about 1200mm from the wall. I might have to remove the storage heater from behind where he is going. That is a speed frame bench and I don't have any more of it  :disappointed:.

The manual recommends that you remove the Collet closer when it is not being used. As it is just a single pin and it slides out that is not a problem if there is the required space.

Those wooden drawers now belong to Sexy, I don't want the two of them to find out about each other :hellno:

When the partition wall was built it was designed to be moved again, I am not sure if I would use the word "easily"  :paranoia:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2015, 07:56:16 AM »
The date is on: I should be meeting him for lunch today  :whoohoo:

I must try to be good  :embarassed:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2015, 07:58:18 AM »
Will you be bringing him home at the end of the first date?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal