Author Topic: A new friend  (Read 159776 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: A new friend
« Reply #540 on: October 19, 2015, 10:35:17 AM »
Well at least the motor will be heating the workshop a bit :LittleDevil:

Now what was that I said back at the start of this thread

"Best bung a few more solar panels on the roof too if you are going to have two motors running just to run one lathe., sounds a right PITA." Maybe that should be pain in teh wallet ;)

Just as well that you love him and don't mine splashing out on treats for him and financing his expensive habbits :Lol:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #541 on: October 19, 2015, 05:45:57 PM »
I would think it is much like driving a Bentley,  at that level of elegance,  one doesn't worry about the fuel mileage  :shrug:.

Big E

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #542 on: October 19, 2015, 06:56:03 PM »
I would think it is much like driving a Bentley,  at that level of elegance,  one doesn't worry about the fuel mileage  :shrug:.

Big E
That Bentley could of done with a couple of VFD'S. Only pulls current when turned on.............. :stickpoke:

Don.  :wine1:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #543 on: October 19, 2015, 07:36:10 PM »
I was very pleased with how little power it uses  ;D. To put the power usage into perspective: I normally run with 400 watts of lighting on in the workshop and in the winter a 2KW fan heater. No the solar array doesn't give much free power in the winter  :(

That single rotary converter powers 5 three phase machines with a total of 10 different three phase electric motors, of which two are dual speed motors and it has a spare outlet available ready to plug and play my next addition  8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #544 on: October 19, 2015, 07:46:45 PM »
So not only does your converter use a lot of lecky, your whole workshop does :-[

I can happily work with 140w of general lighting with an extra 60w local light if using a machine. And 1kw of heating seems to work quite well clicking on and off on a thermostat. Only on when I'm in the shop, no need to keep the arthritis off old machines :Lol:

Anyway if you are concerned about what the converter is using candle light and a tredle lathe is good for the figure :mischief:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #545 on: October 19, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »
Dang Cletus, at times you can be down right eloquent  :lolb:

Bill

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #546 on: October 19, 2015, 08:43:35 PM »
Iv,e said it before

The Quality remains after the cost is forgotten

Just enjoy the machines and you cannot work in the dark

Jo

OT
do you store the solar generated juice or is it when the sun shines we have power, whats the conversion efficiency from the dc to ac

Now I do know the answer to the second ? and I know how you could store the power but it would be expensive outlay.  But i bet a lot of the forum members would like to be enlightened into the free energy syndrome , maybe a new thread from you on the subject would be a good read , as you have first hand knowledge of your installation.

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #547 on: October 19, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »
So not only does your converter use a lot of lecky, your whole workshop does :-[

I can happily work with 140w of general lighting with an extra 60w local light if using a machine. And 1kw of heating seems to work quite well clicking on and off on a thermostat. Only on when I'm in the shop, no need to keep the arthritis off old machines :Lol:

Not sure what the point of these continued pops at Jo are, but I doubt I could do ANY serious work in a workshop with only 150w of lighting. I have 4 fixed 100w halogens over the lathe alone, and another 3 of them over the mill. Both machines also have assorted directable lights as well, varying from 60w conventional to 25w LED (because these lights are all "re-purposed" ones I've collected over the years as things have changed around the house).

My benches have an assortment of anglepoise, gooseneck and desk lights (again, re-purposed from kids homework desks and reading lights) all of which have the lumens equivalent of 100w filament bulbs, used by the bandsaw, grinders, jigsaw, pillar drill etc. My electronics bench has a couple of illuminated magnifiers plus some 20w under-shelf strip lights, and then the whole garage/workshop was four 8' fluorescent tubes as background lighting. If I turned them all on I suspect I'd have over a kW of lighting, although I generally just turn on the ones I need. But I always believe in having plenty of light because doing any form of metalwork/woodwork or indeed anything involving sharp/hot tools by braile is frankly just a stupid thing to do.

Saying your reliant robin uses less power than Jo's collection of ferraris is just envy talking, as far as I can see and these continual pokes at her are getting rather wearing for the bystanders, as well as not really showing this place in a good light [sic]. I don't suppose you could consider turning the poke knob down a bit and giving it a rest?

Please...

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #548 on: October 19, 2015, 09:02:57 PM »
Stuart, After what I paid for Mr Silky do you think I am going to worry about an extra 10p an hour to run him  :lolb:

OT
do you store the solar generated juice or is it when the sun shines we have power, whats the conversion efficiency from the dc to ac

Now I do know the answer to the second ? and I know how you could store the power but it would be expensive outlay.  But i bet a lot of the forum members would like to be enlightened into the free energy syndrome , maybe a new thread from you on the subject would be a good read , as you have first hand knowledge of your installation.

Stuart

I store the solar juice in my hot water tank using the Emersion heater hooked up through a cheap 24 hour timer ;) When the sun shines in the height of summer I have seen 3996 Watts of electric power being delivered from the 4Kw array  8)

They keep trying to sell me lots of batteries to store the power in but  :ShakeHead: in the summer I wouldn't use the up to 30Kw it generates by the following day and in the winter very little is generated it has been as bad as 300w total generated power :-[

If you look at my annual electricity bill vs the return on my feed in tariff I am in pocket to the tune of £1600 a year (Tax free) :drinking-41:

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #549 on: October 19, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »
Thanks Jo

I am sure that that info will enlighten our members

Allen I am with you about unwarranted comments made by some, as to the lighting my workshop is very small with thee dual four foot Flory packs and led task lights on all three machines ,plus two more on the bench .

I have put it down to my A G E problem or should I say " my eye are dim I have not brought my specs with me "

But remember lamps go in lamp holders and bulbs go in the garden 😀

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #550 on: October 19, 2015, 10:04:27 PM »
Au contraire, mon Ami. Or have you never enjoyed the light from an infant daffodil wth 20amps running through it?

Organic lighting - keeps the green lobby pacified..

:naughty:

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #551 on: October 28, 2015, 05:03:50 PM »
Someone has been handling Mr Silky's workshop owner's manual when setting up to cut metric gears and getting grease all over the pages  :-[

So today I took the opportunity to day to go and flutter my eye lashes  :naughty: at a very nice gentleman to plastic coat a set of change wheel charts for him

Jo
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:19:09 PM by Jo »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #552 on: October 28, 2015, 05:50:44 PM »
Those "eye lash flutters " won't work as well when you're retired.  Milk all out of them you can for now. Face it,  it's all about "help me, help you,help me  :lolb:. Just saying  8)

Big E

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: A new friend -12 months on
« Reply #553 on: May 27, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
As Mr Silky has been living with me now for 12 months I thought I should provide an up date:

1, He is wonderful to handle  :Love:
2, He is always very accurate and all machining is repeatable to 0.001mm  8)
3, He does metric and imperilous thread cutting easy peasy  ;D

His negative points: :headscratch:

1, It takes a while to clean up his coolant (baby) oil when we use it  ::)
2, He attracts the attention of any men who visit  :ShakeHead: and then they feel the need to stroke him :facepalm:

I would recommend a Hardinge HLV-H to anyone: just not my Mr Silky, he is all mine :Director:

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #554 on: May 27, 2016, 07:35:02 PM »
Wishing you and Mr. Silky many happy anniversaries Jo :)

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal