Author Topic: A new friend  (Read 159765 times)

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Re: A new friend
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2015, 09:46:30 AM »
The price they quoted 20 years ago for the installation made it clear they did not want to do it.

It might be worth asking again - the electricity supply market has changed a lot since then. Perhaps it was just a phase they were going through...

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »
I am still not intending on having a new electricity cable run to the house from the transformer half way down the village for a slightly smoother starting of my machines :ShakeHead:

:thinking: DRO fitting might not be as easy as I thought the scale on the cross slide has been known to interfere with the travelling steady. And I am hearing rumours that the top slide one also gets in the way but no one can tell me how  :noidea:

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 10:19:01 AM »
Is there a need for a DRO, I had assumed these lathes were so good that you would not have to worry about backlash and could just use the handwheel dials for perfect results :stir:

Magnetic one may well fit in that space rather than a glass one.

And how often are you likely to use a traveling steady? I've had lathes for and been making models for over 30years and never used a traveling steady, may just be easier to whip off the DRO on the rare occasion that you need the steady.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:25:10 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 10:39:21 AM »
Is there a need for a DRO, I had assumed these lathes were so good that you would not have to worry about backlash and could just use the handwheel dials for perfect results :stir:

:old: Its me eyesight I prefer 14mm high digits staring me in the face rather than the 4mm ones on the handles.

If you use the back lash adjusters (pic attached) then it will be minimal, a DRO is just belt and braces in case you have been bad and not shown your lathe the care and attention it deserves: You do remember to maintain the backlash adjusters on each of your lathe axis don't you Jason  ;)

I use the travelling steady for machining my 10 and 12BA fixings ;)

Jo

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 10:40:12 AM »
...or just ignore the Hardinge travelling steady (which is likely to cost an arm, all 12 toes and most of yopur lower right leg even if you can find one) and make a more conventional one that doesn't conflict with a DRO as and when you need it.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 10:43:55 AM »
...or just ignore the Hardinge travelling steady (which is likely to cost an arm, all 12 toes and most of your lower right leg even if you can find one) and make a more conventional one that doesn't conflict with a DRO as and when you need it.

That is the current plan  ;)

Actually the gadgets for my new friend are not very expensive, my supplier brought the steady in the picture yesterday from a dealer for £75  :drinking-41:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 12:40:04 PM »
Maybe a pair of specs would be the cheaper option ;)

Funny enough on the mill I prefer to use the handwheel scale as I find it easier and quicker to stop turning at zero and whatever the opposite reading is (allowing for backlash) than trying to tease the handwheel round to the last 0.0002" on the screen. I always do this when machining say a pocket like those exhaust ports I showed you yesterday, use the DRO to set one extream and zero the handwheel, use DRO to set the opposite extream and note the handwheel reading and then simply go back and forth with the handwheel between zero and that reading.

Plus I like to measure the part or test fit against its matching component rather than machine to where the DRO says the carrage is that may or may not relate to where the tool tip is depending on how much the tool is being pushed away from the work or work away from the tool.

Seems to produce models with good compression, valves that seal, straight crankshafts and engines that turn over smoothly and easily, what more could I want ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:43:35 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2015, 12:48:58 PM »
Jason
The problem is usually arms to short when the lamps go , for WS use I have a pair of bifocals top bit reading spec bottom bit 150mm focus

Funny though I do not have dials on the mill since I upgraded the thrust bearing and use a Newall dro
But on the lathe I use dial tho they are diameter reading IE 1mm on the dial 1mm off dia.

Jo
Is your friend,s dials metric or infernal ,as I think you. Prefer the metric system , I know I do

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
Stuart, We don't know yet but I am betting on the inferior system but I am not sure as he has been busy trying to tempt me by showing his bits off to me :mischief:

As you will have guessed that is the "rare as rocking horse do-das" metric gear set so he will be able to do 0.1 to 3.0mm Pitch as well as 10 to 250 TPI  :whoohoo:

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
Jo

10tpi I thought they bottomed out at 11 tpi

I hope he measures up to your expectations

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »
10tpi I thought they bottomed out at 11 tpi

With the gearbox yes, but as standard you get five gears that you can mount on the outside English bracket and that lets you go down to 10 tpi. But if I want to go silly the Colchester will cut 4TPI  :naughty:

The larger quadrant is the metric quadrant, same gears as the extended English gear set just needs the go larger cover and that 127 tooth gear  8)

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »
.... what more could I want ;)

Jason if you have never tried it you don't know what you are missing. I promise never to let you find out  ;)

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2015, 04:56:48 PM »
I go away on a Business trip and a very nice man hands me a box and tells me this is a little something for the man in your life.  :whoohoo:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2015, 05:23:23 PM »
Backplate or drive plate :)

Online Twizseven

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2015, 05:31:48 PM »
Jo,
I put three phase in to my property a number of years ago.  The 3 phase supply runs past the property and each house takes a phase in turn. I negotiated with the electricity board to do all the digging, I exposed the main 3 phase cable at the end of front garden. Ended up with a 6ft x 6ft x 6 ft hole and then dug back to garage. Laid an electricity supplied duct in the trench, put up my own 3  phase junction box and fed their cable through the duct. All they had to do was fit meter and connect to my tails and join the ducted cable to their meter and the newly exposed cable in the front garden.  This kept the cost down significantly.  Done this twice in last 40 years.

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal