Author Topic: OXY PROPANE  (Read 7326 times)

Offline Noitoen

• Setúbal - Portugal
Re: OXY PROPANE
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 09:31:25 PM »
Some geologists still use these little lanterns.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqXnBXmPQ3U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqXnBXmPQ3U</a>

There used to have bigger units for industrial oxy/acetylene torches. For hobby purposes a small unit is easy to build.

Offline John S

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »
I use a firm in the Midlands called Gas Direct for my bottles.
I have the full sized Argon and Argon mix for MiG but I don't suppose anyone wants or uses these full size bottles.

I also have a small Oxygen bottle, don't know what size as some are in liters and some have numbers but it's 5" diameter and 3' high.

Rental on this is £4.50 a month, less VAT and a refill is £7.00, again less VAT but I'm sure this company do the one off's that Rich has spoken about.
John Stevenson, Nottingham , England

Offline John S

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 03:08:45 PM »
Wonder if that small one will work with compressed air and propane ?

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 06:01:59 PM »
If you can buy some calcium carbide, you can still make a small reactor to produce usable acetylene like in the old days.
:-) I was going to suggest that but had second thoughts. :-)  A house a friend bought back in PA years ago, built in the early days of the 1900s, had a generating plant and the house  piped for gas lights. It had been wired for electricity back in the days of knob and tube wiring.
I don't know if a "ready made" generating plant is still available but it would make a great project for some of you folks that use Acetylene. :-)
 I've used carbide for "miners" lamps back when I did Caving for years in PA. so am a bit familiar with it. 
 ...lew...

Offline old-and-broken

• Near Houston, TX
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 06:06:11 PM »
A journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step.

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 05:58:36 PM »
Come on John please explain the setup to use compressed air rather than oxygen before I go out tomorrow to get a bottle.

Julian

Offline John S

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 08:28:49 PM »
Come on John please explain the setup to use compressed air rather than oxygen before I go out tomorrow to get a bottle.

Julian

No I was asking if it would be possible, I don't have a torch or propane bottle to try it.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 09:00:22 PM »
The tiny torches are very good, I have had mine for 30 odd years.  Use it connected to BOC Portapack Oxy/Acet kit. I used to use it when soldering up car radiators to use on a Formula Ford racing car.  The jets look a bit tidier now.  Mine fit into a nylon bush which gets compressed by lock nut.  The jets are supposedly sapphire with appropriate size holes.

Colin

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 10:24:15 PM »
Hi

The 2 Y connectors fitted. Really good.

Cheers

Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal