Author Topic: It Followed Me Home From Cabin Fever  (Read 6039 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
It Followed Me Home From Cabin Fever
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:17:23 PM »
Let's see what you got at Cabin Fever.

I'll start.

A very nice set of Grobet needle files, Starrett Brass Pin Punches, A Starrett protractor , another Starrett 6” scale (that way I can lose 2 on the bench) and a Starrett 6” Imperial and Metric scale.

And this

PM Research #4 - ¼ horse vertical.

Total Height 19”
Bore 1-1/2
Stroke 2-1/2
Double Acting

Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Re: It Followed Me Home From Cabin Fever
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:20:37 PM »
One more thing.

Sitting next to George Britnell for two days...priceless. I got a wonderfully detailed explanation of how to correctly and precisely make valve seats. Back to the Farm Boy now that I really understand what to do.
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:23:32 PM »
Stan,

Those castings don't look to be too bad at all, maybe they do better with the larger ones :) Hmmmm... I am thinking you missed one item though if memory serves...the same plan set that followed me home...Little Loco's 1/3 scale Parsell & Weed engine. That was my only major purchase, other than that just a couple of pieces of aluminum I needed and a little steam putt-putt boat for the grandson.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »
PMR seemed to be doing good business while I was there.
They got some of my change too.
I bought the #7 Twin. They were out of stock but are shipping it for free.
I also picked up the 1890 Engine Lathe Kit. That one has to go into a diorama. Which means I need to do the diorama first. Otherwise I'd probably get distracted (again) after the model.

Let's hope my time opens up now. Kids are finally out of the house (along with their pets). Project at work is ending.
But...T still has dibs on my time and with summer upon us...there will be sitting on the porch, sipping wine, and watching the sun go down.
And since I'm still working...another project is starting.
4 more years. Just 4 more years. At most  ;D
I can't (won't) do anything about T...but work is a good two-thirds of day and that's a lot of quality time.
I may give her a bit of it...but not most of it.  :Lol:

My one disappointment...I was hoping to find someone with a paddle engine for a side-wheeler. A boat would be yet another dream of mine.

Say...anyone have thoughts on the paddle engine from Reeves Model Engineer (Westbury design)? They have plans and castings...not sure if castings would actually be needed.

Overall though...I think MEM's contribution was a highlight of the show. Good machines plus good people = good draw.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 10:44:28 PM »
Thanks for reminding me. With all of the plan sets for that engine that the MEM gang bought, we should be seeing a lot of the engine.

My schedule is:
Elmer's Educational Model (very overly blinged)

PMR #4 ¼ horse

Parsell and Weed

That should keep me off the streets.
Best,
Stan

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 10:51:06 PM »
I also picked up the 1890 Engine Lathe Kit. That one has to go into a diorama. Which means I need to do the diorama first. Otherwise I'd probably get distracted (again) after the model.

Before finalizing your diorama, buy some of PMR's overhead lineshaft hangers so you can design them into the roof rafters of your miniature workshop.

I spent a very long time building that model so I may be able to help if you run into problems.  It's a really neat model, albeit with some finicky small parts.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline kvom

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 02:42:58 AM »
I picked up the 4th axis for my cnc mill.  Bought oilers for the Joy engine.  Found a faceplate for my lathe at the consignment sale, and won two lots at the auction.  First was a box lot with a good number of Dumont broaches and some adjustable  reamers. The other is a box of brass tube fittings.

Offline kvom

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 02:49:08 AM »
Zee, I  have the plans for the Westbury paddle engine.  I had it half done some years back and didn't like how it was turning out.  I'm going to remake some parts and start it back up as the next project.  I don't plan to make the articulating vanes on the paddles which might be needed if it were to be mounted on a boat.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 12:58:16 PM »
Here is a picture of Little Loco's plan set for the Parsell & Weed. They are nicely done and spiral bound, good heavyweight paper stock too. The castings looked very nice too but I plan on building it from bar stock which should be quite do-able.  The plans show all the components for both the horizontal and vertical versions of this interesting engine.

Bill

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 07:15:45 PM »
I too, scratched the itch at Cabin Fever and bought some modest little trinkets to take home.
First is a set of 12 NOS Usines Vallorbe jewelers needle files, cut "O", about 4" long. $8.00

Then, A Dumore sensitive drill machine with tiny LED work light. I won't tell the price cause you'll be angry.

Mosey

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 07:23:08 PM »
That drill is really cute  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

Our Vallorbe files seem to make their way around the world  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Mosey

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 07:49:11 PM »

"That drill is really cute  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:"

Yes, it is quite cute at 17,000 rpm in a 0-1/8" chuck (variable speed down to 1000 rpm accessory is available)

Mosey

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 12:01:42 AM »

"That drill is really cute  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:"

Yes, it is quite cute at 17,000 rpm in a 0-1/8" chuck (variable speed down to 1000 rpm accessory is available)

Mosey
Mosey that K&B drive you have would work on the drill. As long as it has brushes on it, It will run on either AC or DC.

Don

Offline Mosey

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 01:17:27 AM »
Don,

Wow, that would be neat if the variable speed control can be used with my drill.

Thanks for your help, as usual.

Mosey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal