Author Topic: Vickie Stirling Engine  (Read 75674 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Vickie Stirling Engine
« Reply #375 on: July 16, 2016, 05:11:56 PM »
Many thanks guys. I took it to the beach this past week and got another 3-4 hours run time on it. I am still happy with how it is running but do have one observation. Because of its size and the sheer mass or aluminum in the displacer and power cylinders as well as the piece they both connect to, it takes more time for it to heat up to running temperature, especially if indoors with the AC running. Those familiar with this design will note that I did not add the fan between the two cylinders. This can still be added later but with sustained runs of 40-50 minutes it doesn't really seem to be needed.

Bill

Offline MichaelP

« Reply #376 on: December 28, 2016, 05:14:46 AM »
Excellent work, Bill!

Did anybody convert the drawings into a 3D or common 2D CAD format, by chance? Or maybe you know if they're available directly from the seller in one of those formats (vs. the .pdf files I received from them)?

Thank you.

Mike

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #377 on: December 28, 2016, 05:34:19 AM »
Mike, to my knowledge, the Howell family only supplies them in .PDF format. I had asked Jerry at one time years ago what CAD software he was using and as I recall it was a DOS based program though I don't recall the name now. It likely didn't have many of the features we take for granted today.

Bill

Offline MichaelP

« Reply #378 on: December 28, 2016, 08:16:58 AM »
Thank you Bill. As far as I know he used Drafix CAD Ultra.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #379 on: December 28, 2016, 10:18:09 AM »
The fan does give the motor something to do, it's a bit more moving, that always makes it more interesting.
Ian S C

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #380 on: December 28, 2016, 06:02:40 PM »
Damn Bill, how did I miss this finished engine? Beautiful work buddy and she runs a treat.......I........like...... :Love:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #381 on: December 30, 2016, 03:06:55 AM »
Thanks for the recent comments guys. I always thought this was one of Jerry's most attractive designs. Not an easy project but very satisfying now that its a runner.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal