Author Topic: Help on ignitipon setup  (Read 4714 times)

Offline ozzie46

Help on ignitipon setup
« on: April 04, 2015, 03:59:32 PM »
I built a 2 cyl Hoglet engine and I have 2 lead coil to use with it. The coil has 2 pos terminals and 2 grnd terminals.

The Hoglet doesn't have a distributor as such, just 2 magnets set a certain amount of degrees apart that rotate past a Hall sensor.

How do I wire the coil into the circuit that was designed in "2013" as "New Ignition Circuit"?

I understand how to do it with a regular single lead coil but not the 2 lead coil. I used it successfully on an opposed 4 cyl I built.

I really like the circuit although my understanding of electronics is nil

Also does this set up use a "wasted spark" in setup in the way the way the magnets rotate past the sensor?

Here is the circuit I'm using (see post # 47)

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=20415&highlight=ignition+circuit&page=3

Here is the coil I have, it is off of an Evenrude boat motor. There are 2 + post. One on each side of the plug wires. How are these wired into the circuit. A simple crap-o-cad diagram will be be more understandable to me as electrical jargon might as well be Greek to me.

Will post pics later.

Thanks

Ron

Offline gbritnell

Re: Help on ignitipon setup
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »
Hi Ron,
If you have two magnets that means it fires the coil twice in a revolution which means that there is a wasted spark. I have the same thing on my V-twin. The coil you have is for a 2 cylinder engine that fires each plug independently, I presume from the fact that you said it has 2 pos. and 2 neg terminals. There is no need for that type of coil on your engine. S&S makes an ignition module that is capable of firing 2 plugs at once.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:04:03 PM »

Thanks for your reply George.

I really didn't want to spend $110.00 for the ignition system.

Is it not possible to use the coil I have?  I have built that circuit before and it worked with a regular distributor type ignition. It took me awhile and I scrambled my brains plus the first board but it's running on my 4 cyl "Mastiff".  But it used a single High tension lead coil not a dual lead coil.

Ron

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 08:17:13 PM »
I would say treat it as one coil and connect the two +ve and two -ve terminals together and then wire into the circuit as if it were a single coil, this will give a lost spark but one coil to each plug.

The S/S hoglet ignition has two coils and thats how they are connected if you open up the box, same with their twin spark ignition.

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 01:08:03 PM »

Thanks Jason, I called S/S and he said the same thing. ( Gads my short term memory seems to have taken a long term vacation. can't recall his name).  He was extremely helpful. very nice
ed gentleman.  That kind of service is, sadly, missing a lot nowadays.

Ron

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 01:20:23 PM »
"Roy" made the first dual plug coil at my request, and it works perfectly. I recommend getting one, and will bring mine to CF.
Mosey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal