Author Topic: Filing rest for an AXA toolpost  (Read 5616 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Filing rest for an AXA toolpost
« on: August 12, 2012, 02:36:49 AM »
Some of your expressed some interest in my filing rest...so I'll do a photo story on it.  It was made from multiple pieces of steel from the scrap box and a micrometer head and bracket from a yard sale find.  It all mounts to a AXA wedge type tool post though I suspect it would work for a piston type post.  It has a capacity of 1" diameter down to zero...and about 2 inches wide.  The rollers are commercial drill jig bushings and are very cheap from most machine shop supply houses...and about as hard as woodpecker lips.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 02:41:05 AM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
Re: Filing rest for an AXA toolpost
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 03:35:32 AM »
Thanks Dave

This is really good. I'm gonna build a version of it.

:cheers:
Steve

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 04:04:31 AM »
Dave,
That is nice. Thanks for the photos. I have added it to my list of stuff to build. I like the use of drill bushings a very cool lathe addition.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 05:23:35 AM »
Dave,

Pardon my ignorance, but do you have a shot of this in action? My mind can't quite wrap itself around how this is used, although from the comments it seems to be a great tool. Would you mind enlightening me as to how it is used?

Mike O
Rexburg , Idaho, USA

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
Here you go Mike....something it does well!

Making bolt hexes!

In use, to make a hex on a bolt, it only takes 3 minutes to get a hex generated on a small bolt.  It must be used with a spindle dividing device.   There are many ways of doing that.  Mine is mounted on the front of the headstock and picks up index holes I put in the backplate of the 5C collet chuck

In the first picture, the index pin is swung up and away and not in use.   You will notice in my design, the end of the pin is spherical.  This lets me adjust the position rotationally of the work piece while it's locked in the chuck.   In the next photo, the pin is engaged with the index holes in the backplate of the chuck.  To index, Only the cotter locking the pin is loosened and the pin raised and the chuck rotated.   If I swung the block, I would loose my zero position...
If I inadvertantly turn the lathe on without backing the pin out, as us humans are prone to do.... the whole thing swings up and out of the way all by itself...so nothing gets damaged.

The file shown has a safe edge.  A safe edge file has a side that has no teeth.  That edge doesn't cut.  In the photo above, the safe edge is the narrow edge in the foreground.  In use, this safe edge is brought up against the shoulder of the rollers and the roller shoulder is used as a depth stop.

In use, the part is turned to the "across the corners" diameter and the lathe is stoped.   The index pin is brought into engagement.  the tool on the toolpost is removed and the filing rest is installed.  The micrometer thimble is adjusted such that if the file is layed across the two rollers, the fill just touches.   NOW   turn the thimble down about .010" and lock the tool post.  No need to reef the toolpost lever.  Just snug

Take a cut on the first flat with the file.   Continue filing until the file touches both rollers and ceases to cut.  Make sure the safe edge of the file is up against the rollers also.

Now index the spindle around 180 degrees by, in my case, 12 holes.    Lock the indexer and without changeing the position of the filing rest, cut the second hex flat.    Once complete, roll the saddle out of the way and measure the dimension across the flats.   Say you wanted .1875 for a final dimension and the dimension you measure is .200.   The difference is .0125.   To take this much off the across the flats dimension, we must lower the filing rest by .0125/2 or .00625.....OK call it .007"

Unlock the toolpost, and rotate the micrometer thimble by .007, lowering the filing rest and then relock the toolpost.  Now take the remaining .007 worth of stock off the flat your on, and then index 1 flat, and cut to full depth.  Repeat this until all 6 ( or 8 or 12 or whatever) flats are cut to full depth.   You will be spot on the .1875 dimension and additionally, you will be DEAD concentric as the flats were cut while still mounted in the lathe that the diameter was cut on.   

It sounds lengthy....but it takes about 3 minutes to do this whole procedure....and the finish is very good.
Quicker than setting up the indexing head on the mill....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »

Nicely done Dave. That is something I need to make as well. Also the indexer.

Ron

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 04:04:10 AM »
Dave,

Now that's clever.  Thank you for the lesson.

Mike O

Rexburg, Idaho, USA

Offline KB

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 02:42:32 PM »

That's pretty slick Dave, I really like the indexing set-up.

Although I think you may have missed your calling, as a hand model.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »

".....Although I think you may have missed your calling, as a hand model."

I agree but I'm just thankful all the fingers are still attached!....I haven't been that kind to my hands over the years.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal