Author Topic: TOOL TRAY FOR NUT AND HEX HEAD ALLEN DRIVERS  (Read 5030 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
TOOL TRAY FOR NUT AND HEX HEAD ALLEN DRIVERS
« on: March 19, 2015, 10:29:22 PM »
I thought I would share this with you. I had seen different ways to make a simple tray from plastic containers to wood blocks to insert nut drivers and Hex head drivers. I wasn't happy with using them so I came up with these simple trays to housed them in. I made a simple circle turning attachment to fit my bandsaw out of scrap pieces of wood and cut enough circles to make two trays. After drawing them in Autocad I printed them to scale and glue them to the cut circles and drilled the required holes for each tray.
 The bottom circle has three brass balls ( I already had these) to use for the feet. Using a  .5" spacer I lifted the second circle and drilled a tapped a .3125" Rod 4" long to rise the third circle with. Made a .75" washer with a curved face for the top to stabilize the top circle and cut a .2" deep inset for the lifting Rod to fit into. And Jo is going to like this one, cutting a stud to fit the top lifting Rod and screwed the top circle and lifting Rod together. I also cut 25" x .2" deep on each end of the lifting Rod so I could insert a ball on one end and the other fit into the inset of the top washer.
Ok some photos for you and this is my circle cutting attachment.

The cut circle on the attachment.

Gluing the templetts to the circles.

Here I have a little one inch vise in my mill vise holding the drill bit for alignment to drill the perimeter holes.

A look at how the bottom feet are done.

A top view of the tray.

The two trays complete, well for now  am thinking of painting them black.

I hope this is of interest to some and thanks for looking.

Don

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: TOOL TRAY FOR NUT AND HEX HEAD ALLEN DRIVERS
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:43:08 PM »
That's a couple of neat little storage units Don - beats my rummaging in a drawer for sure  :ThumbsUp: Certainly something to consider given the low build time versus usefulness.

Thanks for sharing it - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 10:50:34 PM »
Nice Don. I use some top of the workbench holders I got from MicroMark years ago but they have blind holes for the drivers to fit into and I forget which is which and pull out a hex driver when I meant to grab a nut driver. Your solutions solves that as you can see which is which.

Bill

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
Don,
That is a nice holder, and you have my compliments for all of the nice work that went into it.
Mosey

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:42:52 PM »
Or you can drill some suitably sized holes in a block of wood and use a router bit to carve out a tool-tip viewing window...

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 12:20:16 AM »
One of the good/bad reasons for having a 3-D printer!

John

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 01:09:11 AM »
Great idea. I need something for pliers, side cutters, etc.
warming up my printer
Best,
Stan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 11:04:11 PM »
I applaud all of you for you ingenuity in making some thing that you like to use for your tools. Remember this is a model engineer site and making things out of metal is what I perfer to do, as I had posted in the beginning. Thanks all for you inputs.

Don

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 11:13:16 PM »
That's just slicker than a snail's belly.  Just gotta know though dog, why didn't you use brass?  Sure would have polished up pretty  :stir: :naughty:

E

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 11:20:31 PM »
That's just slicker than a snail's belly.  Just gotta know though dog, why didn't you use brass?  Sure would have polished up pretty  :stir: :naughty:

E
Dog I didn't have that much brass for them and didn't want to buy anymore. Hell the grasshopper is costing me enough now.  :lolb:

D

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 11:25:09 PM »
I hear you my brother.  You know I think I've got a couple of old door kick plates,  don't know the quality of brass,  but I think it's worth a look.  These look quite teh nick. Not only that,  but,  they look darn good too  :cheers:

Cletus

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 11:31:37 PM »
I hear you my brother.  You know I think I've got a couple of old door kick plates,  don't know the quality of brass,  but I think it's worth a look.  These look quite teh nick. Not only that,  but,  they look darn good too  :cheers:

Cletus
The older kick plates were brass but I don't know about the newer ones. There is a lot of plated brass kick plates. If they are brass they sure would make a nice set of trays. These were quiet easy to make, that is if you have a band saw. Just spit them out like an assembly line.  :lolb:

D

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 03:06:46 AM »
Love the tool holder walsheng and admire those that can do the drawings.  :praise2: I'm struggling with 3d at the moment mainly due to age related memory so all my printer goodies come from the net. One day I hope to be able to draw up simple stuff to print just need to keep attacking it to keep it locked in.  :Lol:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 03:07:58 AM »
Love the tool holder walsheng and admire those that can do the drawings.  :praise2: I'm struggling with 3d at the moment mainly due to age related memory so all my printer goodies come from the net. One day I hope to be able to draw up simple stuff to print just need to keep attacking it to keep it locked in.  :Lol: In the meantime  I may just copy the idea Marv shows.
Pete
]
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 10:27:34 AM »
Love the tool holder walsheng and admire those that can do the drawings.  :praise2: I'm struggling with 3d at the moment mainly due to age related memory so all my printer goodies come from the net. One day I hope to be able to draw up simple stuff to print just need to keep attacking it to keep it locked in.  :Lol: In the meantime  I may just copy the idea Marv shows.
Pete
]

Seems there are a lot of people with 3-D printers these day and I would be happy to post the files for anyone who wants to use them.
Nice looking tool holders Don, and I like your choice of tools.

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal