Author Topic: "We can build that!" The Union Chronicles  (Read 12755 times)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: "We can build that!" The Union Chronicles
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2015, 02:23:47 PM »
You're right about the investment castings Roland, they are exquisite. Thanks for that insight. Cheers, Hugh.

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2015, 08:06:58 PM »
I like investment castings also. Roland, thanks for showing it.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline RolandMM

• Curmudgeon
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 03:54:56 PM »
Roger, Hugh & Achim,  Thank you for your comments.

Now that the governor weights are made, there needs to be the holder and assorted pieces.

We borrowed a full size Union governor so had good details. It was a simple, fun exercise in machining.  If it looks complicated, maybe it is because we need three (3) so will make four (4), because it is easier to hold and surely will find a use for the extra one someday.

First was to find some bar stock that was suitable.  A piece of cold finished 1018 was on hand so a couple pieces were cut off.  It was decided to make two (2) sets of two (2) and save some steel.

After the blocks were squared up the center holes were drilled and reamed.  This step assured everything would be true with the bore.

Then the sides were faced to finished width, one side cut to finished length, and that side was grooved to fit the governor weights.

All this was very accurate because I knew exactly where the center hole was because I had just drilled it.

Then same operation on other side and repeat on the next block.  We are almost done.

Roland
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal