Author Topic: Pendleton, SC Model Engine Show 2015  (Read 9334 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Pendleton, SC Model Engine Show 2015
« on: March 07, 2015, 11:11:07 PM »
The show was held today and by all accounts was very successful for the first year of a new "regional" show. It was beautiful sunny day and nice to escape the rain and cold and enjoy the day with other modelers.  It was my pleasure to meet Larry Hoke who drove up from GA for the show. Also representing MEM was Dan Rowe (rowedan) who came down along with Doug Kelley. I am including some pictures from the show below.

Exhibitor set-up began at 6am and when I arrived at 7, a few had already arrived and had their displays up. The first few photos show the venue and some of the early birds...

One gentleman brought along 900+ pounds of iron in the form of a beautiful 4-6-0 steam locomotive in 1 1/2" scale.

I had taken along 5 engines which was enough to fill up the only table I took along.

Doug Kelley and Dan Rowe are shown with the nice collelction of engines that Doug brought including his 9 cyl radial, the "Little" Snow, and the Bruce McBeth.

I've  got more to post and will post them after dinner.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Pendleton, SC Model Engine Show 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 12:31:26 AM »
Here are the remaining pictures I took at the show.

About mid morning Doug fired up his radial. Its always an attention getter and one can almost listen and imagine it out on the tarmac and idling.

Here is one of Larry Hoke and his fine collection of engines...

Here are a few more if the many hit and miss models on hand at the show...

I saw this E.H. Myers engine and thought both the "umbrella" over the governor and the igniter tripping mechanism were interesting.

Finally here is an air powered radial based on Rudy's plans but scaled up to a bore of 1.25".  The prop is around 20" I would say..

All in all it was a great day. As I was leaving and thanking one of the organizers that I know from our local "Cotton Ginning Days" show, he said that regardless of how it came out economically, they would be doing it again next year. Something to look forward to.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 12:49:19 AM »
Bill it looks like you all had a good turn out. All the engines look great and thanks for taking us along.
don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 05:41:18 AM »
Hi Bill, thanks for posting the pictures. Good to see the "Mini Snow Engine". My regards and thanks to Doug Kelley if you meet him next time. His design still keeps me busy.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 08:37:06 AM »
 8) Nice display of engines. Bill thanks for those.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 11:45:35 AM »
A lot of nice work there Bill, looks like a good turnout for a first event. Cheers, Hugh.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »
Thanks for those, Bill.
Something nice about small shows. Imagine, two Rider-Ericsson engines in 1/4 scale. What are the odds?
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 01:06:06 PM »
Stan, actually there were 2  one quarter scales ones and a 3" diameter one as well.

Bill

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »
Nice show Bill.  Thanks for the pictures.  Looks like you had a good turnout especially for a new show

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 01:57:06 PM »
Bill, looks like a great first time show by a bunch of good old Southern boys.  The way things spread down South,  I expect this show will continue to grow.  Just look what we did with kudzu  :lolb:.  Thanks for the pictures

Cletus

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Bill. It looks like a good turnout of modelers. How was the attendance? We have a small one day show up our way and although it has some of the very best modelers we don't get much in the way of spectators.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 02:40:09 PM »
 George, the spectators were on the light side but even so there were some. Its going to be a learning process I am sure for the organizers. There was only one food vendor and he was overwhelmed I think at lunchtime. It was good to see that some parents brought kids to the exhibit also. It certainly isn't cabin fever or NAMES yes...but the interest is there and that's half the battle.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 02:47:19 PM »
Eric,

Yes it had a southern flavor for sure. One little example...one of the exhibitors had his daughter (probably around 2 years old) dressed in her coveralls and she was constantly walking around having a fine time. In the afternoon as she was getting a bit tuckered out, her dad put her on the hand truck he had brought...her feet on the flat part and her hands holding on to the side rails, and he was pushing her around that way. Redneck stroller of sorts, but too cute, wish I had taken a picture of it.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures Bill,

You guys ended up with a real nice selection of models; a lot of talent represented there.
Hopefully your show will continue to grow through the years.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 03:51:27 PM »
Thanks Dave, I  had nothing to do with organizing it but know one of the guys that did, he has been a big supported of our annual Cotton Ginning Days show here in NC over the years, and those of us in the local antique engine club wanted to go down and support his efforts in the modeling world.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 04:56:59 PM »
Hi Bill

Do you know the Holland Family? Curt Helped me with the design of a piston pattern and core box for my 3hp Falk engine; it has been a number of years ago now.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
Yes I  do Dave, they are also members of our local antique engine club. I even recall when Curt was more actively involved in making the patterns and core boxes. As I recall he had someone else do the actual casting though.

Bill

Edit: Curt went down to the model show too though he is still more interested in the full size versions :)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 06:35:48 PM »
Thanks for the photos Bill. I hope that they do it again next year.  It is these small things that keep the hobby alive with maybe getting new blood interested.

Vince

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 06:55:36 PM »
Hi Bill, I am a bit confused by your different pictures you have posted. Beginning of March you last engine build was shown painted. And now at the show it is visible unpainted. What  did  I miss ?
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 07:05:28 PM »
As of Tuesday night it was painted but I still wasn't happy with it so I took the flywheel off and dunked it in a tub of acetone to strip the paint off. I think because I had done a lot of the painting in too cold conditions it hadn't adhered well in places. At the same time the pinstriping paint arrived and I want to give that a try to see how it does with the texture of the castings. This way even if it turns out bad, I can just strip the pinstriping off and not wreck the underlying base coat which I wasn't happy with anyway. That's what happens when you get in a rush. It will be repainted as soon as it warms up some, and I hope in time for Cabin Fever.

Good eye though :)

Bill

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 10:18:25 PM »
Bill,
I was going to ask whether air was supplied for the show since main lines seemed to be absent, then I noticed your new (CA) compressor.  Quiet enough to talk over in normal conversational tones.  Did other exhibitors bring compressors also?

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 11:36:50 PM »
There were a couple of others Phil...one even had a California Air model...the single tank on wheels. I still love it !!

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 12:10:14 AM »
Hi Bill, I am a bit confused by your different pictures you have posted. Beginning of March you last engine build was shown painted. And now at the show it is visible unpainted. What  did  I miss ?

I was wondering about that my self; I'm sure that I saw that engine with paint on it? Thanks for the clarification Bill, all in good time. No point in rushing to the end at the expense of quality and craftsmanship.

Dave

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 12:29:09 AM »
Bill,
Thanks for the photos of the show, a nice bunch of engines.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline kuhncw

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 01:20:14 AM »
Bill,

Thanks for the photos.  The show reminds me of the Zanesville show as it was getting started.  Small group, but high quality models. 

I like the small shows as there is time to get to know the other builders.

Chuck

Offline jschoenly

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 01:29:21 PM »
Great collection in that turnout!  Thanks for the pictures!
Jared
                                 Cabin Fever Expo
--- Model Engineering and Home Shop Hobbies in all Forms! ---

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 07:42:21 PM »
Thank you for posting the pictures  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: There was a good selection of models there. I hope there are more visitors next year.
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 08:31:16 PM »
Thanks to all of you who expressed interest in the show. I really hope it will grow and take off for those of us living in the NC/SC/GA region. Anything done to promote the hobby can only help.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal