Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale  (Read 24387 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale
« Reply #210 on: September 08, 2017, 06:24:49 PM »
Enjoyable and instructive!!! 

Watching along.....

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #211 on: September 08, 2017, 06:43:39 PM »
This is like looking through the Victoria Secrets catalog: mouth hanging open and dreaming  :cheers: :naughty:. Magnificent machining.

Cletus

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #212 on: September 08, 2017, 07:12:09 PM »
Hay Cletus

Ha Ha, At least we did not catch you looking through the Ann Summers catalog

Cheers

Mike :LittleDevil:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:25:38 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Online Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #213 on: September 08, 2017, 08:29:23 PM »
Had to Google it, but, same effect  :lolb: :lolb:

Cletus

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #214 on: September 09, 2017, 12:51:29 AM »
Impressive work Mike!
I'm really enjoying the whole project.

Dave

Offline Art K

« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2017, 01:21:09 AM »
Mike,
I just caught your latest installment. Looking at the welded cylinder and having a grandfather who was a welder. I can appreciate the skill of the man who welded that MB cylinder and head. I can also see myself in welding step 1. :lolb: Great workaround to an engineering problem.
Art

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #216 on: September 16, 2017, 06:01:48 PM »
Part 11B  The Cylinder Blocks

In the previous installment from Vixens Den, we had reached the stage that the water jackets were finish machined on the inside, the base flange was machined and the mounting holes drilled. The outside of the jacket being only roughed to shape.

You will recall that on the full size cylinder blocks, the water jacket consists of thin pressed steel sheets welded in place around the cylider assembly. The lower section of the water jacket had a distinct corrugated shape to allow for expansion. I have attempted  to create this corrugated appearance with a 4.0mm ball mill cutting to a depth of 1.0mm, with a lot of hand filing to complete the shaping. This left a bare 1.0 mm of wall thickness for the water jacket, so the chances of accidentally braking through were quite high.

Each water jacket was carefully positioned in the machine vice so that the individual corrugations could be added. The upper corrugations were reasonably straightforward, running the full length of the water jacket and curving around the the centre line, at each end. The lower two corrugations were much more interesting, as they followed the contour of the individual cylinders thereby forming three large undercuts.

The engine driven water pump delivers fresh coolant the water jackets through an external pipe welded to the water jacket . The fresh coolant is delivered equally to each cylinder via a long tapering pipe through a series of holes cut into one side of the water jacket. The external pipes of the model engine are to be bolted in place rather than welded.

Here we can see two of the water jackets before and after the corrugations were machined. There is not much of the original aluminium billet left by this stage.

The external water pipes were externally taper turned and drilled with different diameter drills to create the taper on the inside. The eight mounting holes in the pipe were drilled and tapped M3.0. One side of the external pipe was then milled away along the joint face with the water jacket. The angle of this cut was carefully calculated so the intersection of the cut resulted in parallel sides which exactly matched the side of the water jacket.

The exterior machining on the water jacket was cleaned up with small files and wet-n-dry abrasive papers to create an acceptable simulation of the steel pressings. The external water pipe will be joined to the water jacket with a row of eight stainless steel button head M3.0 screws. The screws and the joint face are to be sealed with either JB Weld epoxy or a two-pack flexible Polyurethane elastomer, if I can locate some. I would much prefer to use the Polyurethane because of it's inherent flexibility. I also propose to use this material to seal the water jacket to the cylinder heads when the time comes.

In the next installment, a start will be made in the cylinder heads.

So stay tuned.

Mike

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:06:22 PM by Vixen »

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #217 on: September 16, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »
Wowzers.!  :ThumbsUp: :)

Nick

Offline Admiral_dk

• S°ften - Denmark
« Reply #218 on: September 16, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »
Very impressive  :praise2:

This left a bare 1.0 mm of wall thickness for the water jacket, so the chances of accidentally braking through were quite high.

OK - now you are into nail biting territory  :insane:

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2017, 09:18:40 AM »
OK - now you are into nail biting territory  :insane:

Hi Admiral,  Most parts of this project take me into that territory

Mike