Author Topic: Cabin Fever 6 weeks out  (Read 42625 times)

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: Cabin Fever 6 weeks out
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2015, 07:18:53 PM »
The chance to meet Steve makes it doable. Forget what I said.
Mosey

Your awesome! 
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2015, 07:24:29 PM »
Well by God, here's my bitch,  no RV, no DOG, no beans ,no BBQ, and no chance of  a group gathering in the warm spring sun under the awning. I'm sorry,  but,  to me it kinda seems like having " spring break" in February,  in the Poconos. I know it was in January for years, but,  there had to be a "bottom line" decision that made them change it in the first place and I'm betting it's one again. Perhaps,  Professor Leroy,  we should seriously explore the possibility of a new Southern show,  the head bean counter said I should seriously consider loosing a few business bucks this year, but, if I just fed all of Y'ALL I'd still at least break even. :lolb:. I thought that was what "cabin fever" meant, been locked in all winter and now it's time to roar,  not, oh its the middle of winter, let's dash through the snow to a ME show. Ok, tell Zee I'm headed to the jelly jar  ;)

Cletus

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2015, 08:03:30 PM »
Before you folks complain too much, have a bit of sympathy for us poor sods out here on the west coast.

Back in ~2003 Jared and Gary organized the "Men, Metal and Machines" show in Visalia, CA.  Many of our club members and I attended and exhibited.  Located in a farming area, the show seemed to attract a good number of locals as well as gearheads from the California population centers.

Sadly, the show was canceled after the third year due to "poor attendance" according to Gary.

We're left with GEARS in Portland but that's a whole lot of driving if you live in LA or San Diego. 
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2015, 08:33:56 PM »
Well for the organizers this is a pseudo business after all. Just like our October antique engine show, if we break even or make a little money or cover our insurance for the year we are pretty happy, but neither do we charge admission or have to pay for the venue so that simplifies things greatly!  I suspect this boiled down to a business decision also...venue rent went up or something else...and I can appreciate if this is all they can do to keep the CF show alive. That's far better than the alternative even if some of us don't like the date change. I will certainly go again once I don't have a job to schedule around, weather permitting.

Cletus, I know SC is probably as far from you as York, PA, but I am hoping this new little show down here can grow some. At some point I would be happy to help organize this or another show, but again 2-3 years down the road for me due to work. TO put on something like CF, even without the auction part of it is a huge undertaking.

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2015, 09:01:52 PM »
To put on something like CF, even without the auction part of it is a huge undertaking.

Huge :lolb:

At GMES we have "the book" put together by my fellow female model engineer at the club who found the traditional haphazard/too often failing/lots of stress method of organising a show wasn't for her. So she captured for each month what had to be done, who to contact for what and the anticipated costs. Each year they just have to keep it up to date and the first action starts immediately after we close the show the year before. We have a full time committee for organising the show alone  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2015, 09:11:38 PM »
I was very happy with the York location because it is very close to me, about an hour's drive, but Lebanon is still within a couple hours, so it's not a deal-killer or major problem. However, the weather could be an issue, and as climate change worsens, as we have experienced the last couple of years especially, it can be very nasty in January. I don't much like driving in snow and ice or even when the threat of such conditions is present, so I won't take the risk if there's a significant chance.

I am also concerned about such a change of venue as a possible harbinger of diminishing attendance and eventual discontinuation of the show altogether. That has happened with the Timonium Hamfest, which I usually attended about this same time each year for perhaps 20 years, and originally it was two full days, with a huge outdoor flea market / tailgate, and several buildings packed with vendors and attendees. But in the last five years, the outdoor portion dwindled and everything moved indoors, and last year it was scheduled only for Saturday, and only partially filled one building. Attendance was minimal, and the vendors seemed increasingly old and "tired", and the items they were selling were of greatly decreased interest and value. I have always enjoyed buying electronic components and equipment there, but my newer projects are much better served by purchasing from distributors like Mouser, or getting them on eBay.

The biggest attraction IMHO has been meeting some of the vendors and attendees and talking to them, and often renewing contact with old friends. That was a great loss, and I'm not really into Ham Radio so the local clubs don't have much interest for me. I can understand the financial decision to shut it down, but there were other factors that might have made it less profitable. The show is supposed to run until 5:00, but usually I would get there about 2:00 or so, and many vendors were already closing up and getting ready to leave. Also, many times the entry gate was no longer manned, and I just walked in free. If they continued the show into the evening, it may have attracted another wave of people, and would not disappoint late-comers.

I enjoy the hobby of model engine building, but mostly as a way of learning more about machining and engines of various types. My main interest is in electronics and EVs, and although there is machining involved, it is much different from that required for ICEs and steam engines that are the mainstay of MEM. I enjoy the challenge of designing and building a unique engine such as I'm now trying to complete, but I think the novelty will soon wear off, and I am not really smitten by the desire to tackle other similar projects. The social aspect is important to me, and I enjoy seeing the wide array of models, but I'm more interested in the few electrical motors and generators shown there, and even more in the machines and tooling that can be purchased.

Perhaps some of us can discuss this decision, and the future of such shows, and the hobby itself, with the show organizers, and maybe come up with alternate venues and dates that may help assure the continuation of this major event. I think we should be involved in some way with the decision, and I think it was not right that they did this without advance notice or input from the attendees and exhibitors and the various clubs and forums that support this hobby and hopefully encourage its growth.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2015, 09:47:16 PM »
Perhaps some of us can discuss this decision, and the future of such shows, and the hobby itself, with the show organizers, and maybe come up with alternate venues and dates that may help assure the continuation of this major event. I think we should be involved in some way with the decision, and I think it was not right that they did this without advance notice or input from the attendees and exhibitors and the various clubs and forums that support this hobby and hopefully encourage its growth.

I hate to say it but I strongly disagree. As Gary from Cabin Fever and Mike from NAMES are laying out all the cash, they need all the say. My feeling is, tell me when and where and lay out the rules and then I'll tell you if I can make it. If they ask my opinion I'll surely give it and I have been asked. They need the freedom to things there way.

"We", unless involved in organizing the event, don't see the big picture of insurance, venue rental, tables, piping for air, and the list never ends. I say we cut old Gary some slack as it is his show.

Just sayin.

Ok, let me have it.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2015, 09:59:51 PM »
Well said Steve. 100% agree.
A few hours ago we learn of a date change for CF and people are already predicting its demise.
It seemed to grow into what it is today with January dates for years.
Let's just enjoy it. If u can come: great. If not: not
Best,
Stan

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2015, 10:05:48 PM »
Steve, I agree with you I can't imagine the outlay of money and manpower to make this happen. I hated when the show changed to April but found that it was nice to hang outside in the warm weather.  I guess we will have to get cold again. Long live Cabin Fever

Dave

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2015, 10:26:48 PM »
I agree with Steve.  It's not for us to determine. It's nice that the show even exists for the model engineering community.  When I was into the car racing scene I use to laugh at the guys who would want a class created  that fit their combination rather than build a car for a class.  I never understood that mentality. 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline jschoenly

« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2015, 12:02:00 AM »
Hey Guys,

As it's somewhat difficult to contact many of the attendees and visitors (We send out emails, Please if you'd like to get updates on the show, please visit our home page and sign up!), we gave our vendors the following heads up (Removing some booth pricing information, email us if interested - We'll have limited amount of single vendor tables in 2016):

"We are now only days from the 19th Annual Cabin Fever Expo and it should be a great year.  There has been much interest, we have a nice seminar schedule, and we hope you are as excited as we are!

We wanted to take a moment and contact our Vendors who are currently supporting us and have in the past to give a first *Heads Up* to some changes for 2016.  It's discussed every year that the costs are always on the rise and as most will surely agree, it's not easy right now.  We have been exploring a few options for a change and after MUCH consideration and discussion, the 20th Annual Cabin Fever Expo will be returning to January AND Lebanon Expo Center.

Jokes and comments have been made since our change to April that it's just not Cabin Fever anymore.  Truthfully, we've shared some of these feelings as well.  We are not upset about the April move we made, but we think many can agree that there is just A LOT going on as spring is breaking and it competes for everyone's time.  We all have yards or spring cleaning to tend to after the long winter, various other type shows starting back up, and just a lot more activity in April than January.  So for that reason, we are getting back to our roots and what made us CABIN FEVER at the time when we all need a break in the winter.  The dates for 2016 are January 15-17, 2016.

With this date change, we are also moving to Lebanon Expo Center (80 Rocherty Rd. Lebanon, PA 17042).  Obviously a lot has changed with the show since we were last in Lebanon, but the same is true for their grounds.  The Lebanon grounds that most remember has well over doubled in size boasting essentially the same usable square footage as the current York location.  There are more "rooms" than York which allows for some different booth and exhibit setups than our current floor plan which we feel will work out nicely. 

We have had great luck working with Lebanon in the past and we are excited to work with them again.  We've mentioned the costs ever-growing in York and it is harder now than ever to get any help from them.  Lebanon is willing to work with us however they can to help make the show an ongoing success.  This includes some help should there be a weather event (a big reason we had decided to move to April!).  There are a few new and renovated hotels and restaurants in the nearby area, it's only a short drive to Hershey with many hotel/food options, and Lebanon County is excited to bring the event in.  We hope you'll agree with our decision and continue or come back to help support this great hobby.

Many will be on their way now or soon, so safe travels and looking forward to seeing you all.

The Cabin Fever Crew,
Gary, Jared, Joan, & Jen Schoenly"

We fully understand that there was going to be some for and some against the changes for 2016.  We freely discuss the costs and work that goes into this show every year with anyone that wishes.  We spend A LOT of time and effort bringing it all together and for the live and love of the hobby, we hope we can continue for a long time to come.  We want to make sure the it's clear, the move back to Lebanon is not a step back.  We were there years ago and outgrew the grounds, but they now offer the same square footage as York and are much more willing and excited to work with us.  We have discussed other locations (Philly Expo Center in Oaks, PA, Fort Washington, etc) but the costs as you get closer to a large city are even harder to swallow.  I can assure everyone that a lot of thought has been put into this and we expect some hiccups for the first year back there and in Jan, but we feel it's for the best and are excited for the future. 

If anyone wants to discuss further directly with me or Gary, feel free to PM me and We are happy to discuss ideas.  And for those attending in a few days, feel free to talk to us.  We'll be quite busy but will be happy to talk about ideas.  But it is a definite the information on the change is correct.  We'll have flyers at the show and more available for the year if people would like to hand them out at other venues. 

Thanks for the support and making the show and hobby what it is.  We look forward to seeing everything this weekend!  For those of you on multiple forums, please feel free to cross post, I really appreciate the help passing the word.  We hope everyone has a great weekend attending or not!

Jared
                                 Cabin Fever Expo
--- Model Engineering and Home Shop Hobbies in all Forms! ---

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2015, 12:15:25 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:

No doubt a tough decision. Economics being what they are, competition for such venues (places) is only going to get harder and more expensive as the economy improves.

But I'm in! This is a great show, particularly with the chance to see so many people (and vendors) that I can only interact with on-line.
Whatever it takes to keep it going!

I really appreciate (and understand to some degree) what goes into it.

I hope (and expect to some degree) to see you all (i.e. my forum friends) again next year.  ;D

In the meantime...let's have a blast this year.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2015, 12:19:08 AM »
Gary, Jared, Joan, & Jen Schoenly,

Believe me when I say from my experiences talking to past Expo show exhibitors and vendors that we' re very appreciative of your efforts to bring this show together for us in the model engineering community. :ThumbsUp:  I'm looking forward to this years show as well as those in the future wherever they may be held. 

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2015, 01:41:15 AM »
Jared, many thanks for your dedication to the show and for taking the time to explain what went in to this decision. Things change for all of us at times, and while the January dates (which I have also attended previously) aren't great for me at the moment, I also wish the show to continue and it gives me one more reason to look forward to in retirement when travel dates aren't a personal constraint due to the day job !!

I am looking forward to a great show as always this year!!

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2015, 02:12:11 AM »
Bill
Cletus can pick you up in the Douglas Enterprises G-550
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal