Author Topic: New Minimag Low Power Ignition Kit  (Read 5908 times)

Offline RayW

New Minimag Low Power Ignition Kit
« on: February 26, 2015, 05:48:54 PM »
I have just been trialling a brand new product from Minimag in the U.K. - their Type MCL-1 Low Power Capacitor Ignition kit. This is a professional looking little unit that runs off two Alkaline AA cells which are housed in a neat pack with on-off switch, and an indicator LED to aid in setting up ignition timing. The body of the ignition unit measures only 66 x 38 mm and 34mm high and has connections for use either with a Hall sensor or with contact points triggering.
My test was with the engine running on Propane and using contact breaker points and it ran extremely well. I understand that battery life should be several hours, and I will be testing the unit with rechargeable batteries in due course. I have been looking for a nice compact ignition system for some time and this seems to fit the bill perfectly.
For further information contact Minimag at www.minimagneto.co.uk

Ray

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: New Minimag Low Power Ignition Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
Ray have you tried the S/S ones, typical size is 50x32x18 which is a lot more compact or one of Jan Ridders Blokker derived ones that are far smaller still and only need one AA cell.

Offline RayW

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »
Hi Jason,

I know that there are other small systems on the market, but I thought that members would like to hear about the Minimag unit as another possible alternative. The beauty of all these compact units is that they are easy to conceal, leaving the engine clean and uncluttered.
Ray

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
Ray, was that a flyer you got from them perhaps?  I am not seeing it on their website...or do I need to have my glasses checked? :)

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
By "trialing a new product" I thought it was a pre production item, much like the low tension coils that I tested for Julian and used on my Galloway.

Ray, you may also be interested in this thread about using smaller sized but similar voltage Lithium cells and phone batteries to keep the sizes down.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=3764.0

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »
Jason, I guess I focused more on the "new product" than the "trialing."  And with the picture, logo, and drawing, etc. I had expected to see it on their website since Ray posted that as well. On this side of the pond I am more familiar with the S/S products, but anything that expands availability in this hobby can't be bad :)

Bill

Offline RayW

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 03:10:24 PM »
Hi all and thanks for your responses. Sorry for confusing you all.  I first heard about this unit when I spoke to Julian at Minimag enquiring about their mini coils, and I offered to try out a pre-release unit for them as I understand that it had only been trialled up to then with Hall effect whereas my Wyvern uses contact breaker points. I e-mailed Julian yesterday to confirm that the trial had been successful and he will be adding the unit to their website this weekend.The document attached to my earlier post is the front of the instruction leaflet. Thanks Jason for the link relating to smaller batteries. I will certainly have a look at that.
Ray

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 11:19:15 PM »
As I am designing and building an ignition module, I was interested in seeing this. The products page is:

http://minimagneto.co.uk/Products.php
http://minimagneto.co.uk/Buy.php

I did not see the MCL-1 listed, and the prices of the components seemed high.

Perhaps there is some benefit to CD ignition. The energy and voltage of the spark can be tightly controlled by the size of the capacitor and vthe voltage to which it is charged, It may also be more efficient. I'd like to get a smaller coil for my device, but the big "pole pig" I have will suffice for the demo. A piezoelectric spark generator like those on gas ranges is another option.

Offline RayW

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 08:04:30 PM »
For those of you interested, the MCL-1 is now illustrated and listed on the Minimag website.
Ray

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 05:31:23 AM »
I still don't see it on the "products" page. Do you have a link?

Never mind. It's the first item on the page. But the model number is not displayed, unless you look closely at the drawing. Also, it seems to indicate that it is a capacitor discharge type. Is it?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:34:58 AM by PStechPaul »

Offline RayW

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 10:02:18 AM »
Hi Paul,

The following is a copy of an extract from the instruction sheet that hopefully explains all. I am no electronics expert, but I am sure that Minimag would be happy to answer any further questions.The instructions refer to using the unit with a Hall sensor, but the same principle applies to contact breaker points.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:45:40 PM by RayW »
Ray

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal