Author Topic: NEMES Show 2015  (Read 6176 times)

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
NEMES Show 2015
« on: February 20, 2015, 02:29:50 AM »
Breaking News.

The 2015 New England Model Engine Society show  will be held two weeks late this year at a New venue.

Place:
 Boot Cotton Mill
Lowell  National Historic park
115 John St 4th floor
Lowell MA

Parking 75 Johns ST
When: Saturday  Feb 28th  10 AM - 4 PM     setup @8 am
Show flyer here:
 NEMES Show Flyer
More Info Here:

NEMES Show info
NPS event page
http://www.nps.gov/lowe/planyourvisit/event-details.htm?eventID=569825-232573
There should be plenty of compressed Air to run engines 

As of this writing propane and liquid fuels will not be allowed. 
Tin
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:01:34 PM by Tin Falcon »

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Re: NEMES Show 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 04:31:51 AM »
Thanks, Tin.
I'd better get cranking' on that 1/25 scale hot air snow plow or it won't be done in time. Sure wouldn't want to miss the great MA weather.
Hope they can thaw out Steamer and Ron Ginger in time.
Best,
Stan

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 01:05:38 PM »
We have two more snow days promised before the show, but only 5-8" each. Those would have been storms in any other year, now they are just a small nuisance.

I plan to be at the show if at all possible.

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 01:26:37 PM »
A little update.
the show is free
the parking address above is paid city parking lot. Free parking available at the park visitors center about a 10- 15 minute walk to the show venue.
The event permit apparently includes open alcohol flame for sterling engines.
but not fuel for IC engines. Hopefully this will be worked out for next year.
And it is actually only one week late . so if you have any friends that have attended previous shows  get the word out.

and last but not least last years show pics.
http://www.neme-s.org/2014/NEMES_Show_2014/new_england_model_engineering_so.htm
tin

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 04:46:45 PM »
the show is free

:headscratch: How do they do that?

We run a show and our costs run over £10K to put it on. We use our own grounds so there is no rent but we still have to rent the Marquees (£1500+), pay the insurance (£1K +), Have to have Professionals keeping watch on the models over night (£1K), Paying the required qualified first aiders, pay the council employees to supervise parking :facepalm: rent extra loos, the costs go on and on.......

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline mikemill

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »
Looking through the NAMES website they have a very talented group, I am particularly impressed by the model of  the Jaguar XK straight six, does anyone know the fellow who is building this engine and possibly encourage him to join this site and share his build  or does he use another site?
Thanks

Mike

Offline AOG

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 05:28:04 PM »

:headscratch: How do they do that?

We run a show and our costs run over £10K to put it on. We use our own grounds so there is no rent but we still have to rent the Marquees (£1500+), pay the insurance (£1K +), Have to have Professionals keeping watch on the models over night (£1K), Paying the required qualified first aiders, pay the council employees to supervise parking :facepalm: rent extra loos, the costs go on and on.......

Jo

While I am not a member of NEMES I have helped with smaller local shows. The answer is most likely corporate sponsorship. You put together a coalition of business sponsors who donate products, services and money in exchange for advertising and product placement and in some cases recruiting booths. ( after all skilled machinists tend to attend these shows  :) )  Thanks to the US tax laws the companies can write off the donations on their taxes and add it to their "corporate citizenship" reports to their investors. 

Tony

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 06:01:30 PM »
Well jo I am not a club member but can only speculate. Most shows here in the USA do charge a fee.
In the past the show was held as a museum fund raiser and people paid  the normal museum entry fee to see the show the show is a draw. And the attendance for the day way higher than a regular non special event day in the middle of winter.

The new venue is a National park.  So the show should draw people to the park/historical site for the day. By park regulations  no money may change hands at the show so no vendors no collection of membership fees to the club no sales of shop aprons or t shirts. I expect people who also want to see the NHS displays will have to pay the regular park fees that are usually a few dollars.
So I expect bottom line in this case most of the expense for the show will be covered by the us park service.  Heat light  bathroom cleaning ,insurance etc.  and a one day show so no security  overnight needed.

Most shows I have been to  charge entry fees and rent vendor tables to cover expenses.  Also one show uses lots of volunteers volunteer parking people, shuttle drivers, Museum guides,security for the models  is covered by the model people sleeping in the display building and the doors locked.  the local volunteer first aid people are often there.
Tin

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 07:52:06 PM »
Does anyone have pictures from this year's show?

John

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 10:40:08 PM »
The red cut away of a marine engine was built by Greg Young. ( that's Greg in the Photo)   A old and dear friend.    Greg and I were both volunteer operating engineers on "Sabino" at Mystic Seaport Museum.

The model is a 1/10th scale model of her engine.    It runs when you put the missing cheek piece on.  He had to make a full set of scale wrenches to put it together.

When I say it's exact....let me tell you....I KNOW THAT ENGINE!...

Dave
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:49:25 PM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 10:46:32 PM »
Here's her engine in full size.

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 12:28:59 AM »
I was the founder and first president of the club, am retired now but I do know about the finances. We had to pay a fee to the National Park service of a few hundred dollars. That simply came out of the club treasury. In years past we had to rent tables and covered that cost by running a refreshment stand. This year the club did have coffee and hot coca for members, also paid out of dues. When we were at the Museum we considered our show day to be a kind of rent to the museum for our monthly meetings, we drew a big crowd that paid their museum admission.

We have no insurance issues. The club owns no property, has a modest treasury raised by annual dues of $25. We would not make much of a target for a lawyer, so see no need for insurance. The bigger shows, like Cabin fever and NAMES do have insurance. At NAMES they indicate by paying the admission you are joining the club so that you fall under their insurance. I have always been slightly amused hearing about the UK folks and their insurance for everything. We also have no boiler inspectors or certificates. The shows that run Gscale locos simply run them, no one asks about certificates or insurance.

The two day shows simply close the facility at night and whatever normal security they have covers the models. I have never seen extra security guards hired for the night.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 12:29:35 AM »
The show is on my list to visit someday. If not for anything else but to see everyone there.
I wish it was later in the year.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 09:40:45 AM »
The two day shows simply close the facility at night and whatever normal security they have covers the models. I have never seen extra security guards hired for the night.

Sadly at the Guildford show one year we had a teenager get into the tent over night and steal one of the members Minnie traction engine :cussing:

Thankfully Norman took the loss of his engine well, especially the generous insurance pay out. It turned up a few months later in pieces offered to another friend of mine who immediately recognised it and called in the Police ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal