Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193970 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #900 on: November 20, 2017, 02:05:38 AM »
I connected everything up again and found that the locktite had failed on two of the arms so took everything apart and pinned them in place after using locktite again a new photo showing the balance weight in position..Also some of my homemade nut runners for these small 10  and 12 BA nuts and bolts. With the twelve BA sizes the nuts are different A/F to the blots.!! I do not understand why there is a counterweight as the valve linkage is driven from the eccentric which the weight has no control over ? perhaps there is some predetermined  inbuilt play in the linkage ?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:42:22 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #901 on: December 10, 2017, 01:52:45 PM »
More pictures of the restoration at Beeleigh mill ..They have now removed the HP steam chest and have to replace the historically broken off bolts. I wish that all this had been done before i started on the model as it would have been easier to see how everything was actually constructed and put together !!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #902 on: December 10, 2017, 01:55:45 PM »
Really interesting to see the inside parts!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #903 on: December 10, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »
Really interesting to see the inside parts!
[/quote]

Hi, yes ,And this is what i did on the model ...just two holes rather than the quite large slot at the bottom.!!!

Willy.........
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 02:43:24 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #904 on: February 18, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »
More work on the engine at Beeleigh... they have removed the air pump casting and it has this butterfly at the bottom that lets the water/ air  travel from the condenser to the air pump so the restoration is well under way...

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #905 on: February 18, 2018, 05:29:15 PM »
Neat!

Hope when it is all restored that you/they will publish a book, with full plans, about the mill and its engine!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #906 on: February 18, 2018, 05:36:15 PM »
There is a film being made by the local film group ,but there is still lots to do and i don't know about getting it into steam as they cannot use the original elephant boiler. I have all my own drawings that will need modifying somewhat  as more of the engine is revealed !

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #907 on: February 18, 2018, 05:39:46 PM »
There is a film being made by the local film group ,but there is still lots to do and i don't know about getting it into steam as they cannot use the original elephant boiler. I have all my own drawings that will need modifying somewhat  as more of the engine is revealed !

It would not be as efficient since it is a compound engine, but it could be run off a construction-site style air compressor. They use one to move the Lombards around the barn for maintanence when it is not worth firing the boiler. Hope you can get your plans published when it is all done!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #908 on: March 08, 2018, 01:21:03 AM »
Hi Chris , good idea with the compressor i will suggest it to them...more removal of parts on the restoration side... and intriguing that there is still bright steel on some of the parts...the ball end of the lever on the valve cross shaft.
!! The part on the red background is the jet condenser valve with thick lead gasket.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #909 on: July 11, 2018, 02:32:36 PM »
More restoration work on the engine ...They have taken the crossheads apart and have found quite substantial pitting and damage to the brasses...however they are 180 years old..

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #910 on: July 12, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »
More pics of the straps undergoing the restoration work ....the dummy wooden piston will be used as a makeshift hone to investigate the cylinder bores...

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #911 on: July 12, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »
Great to see the restoration is continuing!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #912 on: July 24, 2018, 11:45:35 PM »
More restoration work.. they have cleaned up the HP crosshead and also discovered that the piston rod boss was separate to the journal shaft. This was to provide a bit of lateral movement to align the piston rod to centralise with the cylinder....cunning stuff

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #913 on: July 29, 2018, 11:23:07 PM »
Restoration continuing with honing the HP cylinder and Looking at the bearing block between the flywheel and the hurst, This bearing has a lower insert part of brass but the other top part is just cast iron and this part has the mating surfaces cast i such a way as to only slide in one way,  the bearing surfaces look to be in tolerably good condition. Also the cylinders after being honed are looking in good condition,

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #914 on: July 30, 2018, 12:29:05 AM »
Very interesting to see the restoration photos, thanks!
Terminology question: what is a 'hurst'?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal