Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193974 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #885 on: October 12, 2017, 12:49:35 PM »
Hi Pete thanks for that....there is a hole ,but thought it might be an oiling hole , we did try to move it with Mole grips but did not want to force it too much, will try again ....a right hand thread presumably ?   I think my next engine will be the Boulton/Bertinat triple expansion engine as i can get the castings locally from a club member ..about 27 castings in all complete with condenser !!

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #886 on: October 18, 2017, 12:21:19 PM »
Yes definitely right hand in the ones I have here. Sorry about the slow response, I missed this reply for a while, "notify" hasn't worked for me for months.
DT
Don't die wondering!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #887 on: October 18, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »
Hi DT thanks for that and yes it has now been move the 2nd time in 70 years.......The Beeleigh engine is now being exhibited at the Lowestoft Model Engineers exhibition this W/E   LOWMEX  And after this i will be stripping it down again after readjusting the valves as it is being filmed by the Essex Film Group that is documenting the Restoration at the mill. They will be filming the engine running under steam and then i will be working on some of the parts for them to complete my part talking about and making this fine engine. I have now two new projects......A freelance Mill engine using the HP cylinder from a Stuart turner triple expansion engine  ! this will be made up as i go along !! And also i have the castings and drawing for the Boulton/Bertinat/Bailey triple expansion engine.....This is a quite large engine with 43 gunmetal castings....and 3 lots of opportunity to trip up with !!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #888 on: October 18, 2017, 04:03:20 PM »
Nice set of castings - keep the door locked or Jo might wander off with them...!  :Lol:

Hope we can get a view of the film when it is done, sounds very interesting. 

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #889 on: October 18, 2017, 04:45:19 PM »
I don't have a set of those  :thinking:  I wonder if they are a bit big :headscratch:  Would I want to make one  :noidea:

It might be best if I borrow them to check   ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #890 on: October 19, 2017, 01:48:37 AM »
Hi, Chris, The film is about the restoration of the Mill and i am just a part of this . The film won't be ready for some time  perhaps a few years ?? and as it is there own property it won't be available until it is finished and working, possibly with an electric motor. !!
Hi Jo, i have bought them from a fellow colleage from our club and they were quite reasonable , I have always wanted to build a triple and this seamed like a lovely engine. I have bean having second thoughts about it though and will get the write up from the 1985 Model Engineer, when Mr Betinat made one .

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #891 on: October 19, 2017, 02:16:57 AM »
Willy,
Go here for lots of info, links, etc. for South Bend Lathes:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/

If that doesn't yield the information you need then contact me directly. I know the 9" family pretty well.

Pete

Hi Pete i sent you a message but could not attach photos so here they are   Serial No 118877   ????  and gearbox No is  4447

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #892 on: October 19, 2017, 02:24:48 AM »
I was going to start a new thread/post on the Freelance Mill engine but don't quite know how ?? so here are a few more photos so far...... If someone could let me know that would be cool............Thanks

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #893 on: October 19, 2017, 05:34:57 AM »
I was going to start a new thread/post on the Freelance Mill engine but don't quite know how ?? so here are a few more photos so far...... If someone could let me know that would be cool............Thanks

Willy,
To start a new topic all you need to do is:

1) Go to the sub-forum where you want to start your new thread.
2) Click on the "New Topic" button circled in Red in the picture here.

Then give your topic a name, and type your post just like any other reply.

Good luck!
Kim

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #894 on: October 19, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »
OK thanks Kim so this is now on   Freelance Mill Engine  !!! And the Boulton Triple is on hold for the time being till i pluck up the courage to start it !!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #895 on: October 23, 2017, 03:31:31 PM »
More Photos from the restoration work on Beeleigh mill...the construction of the piston "rings" with round springs and square spacers.....
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 03:37:14 PM by steam guy willy »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #896 on: October 23, 2017, 03:35:16 PM »
Thats an interesting way they did it!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #897 on: October 31, 2017, 03:10:46 PM »
More pics of the LP piston at the mill  quite a lot of corrosion on the brass wedges  and they are looking to make new springs and spacers for them.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #898 on: November 18, 2017, 01:27:50 AM »
I have been trying to get the engine to work again after it seized up at Forncett and have taken it apart to find a nut had fallen into the LP steam chest and was fouling the valve. however this was an intermittent fault so not immediately apparent.It seems to have weakened the eccentric to valve cross shaft and it has broken so i have to make a new one of those and then retime everything to have another go at it under steam !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #899 on: November 19, 2017, 03:05:11 PM »
Have now made a new shaft for the transfer valve mechanism... the original  .125' shaft was turned down to  .069" which is why it broke. I fave filled the bores out to about .115 and the new shaft turned to match. the shaft is now back in position and should give no more trouble...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal