Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193906 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #870 on: September 24, 2017, 01:29:13 AM »
Those retainer plates are a new one to me, clever.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #871 on: September 24, 2017, 02:17:19 PM »
Those retainer plates are a new one to me, clever.

Here are the real ones, just dropped in place with no fixings !!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #872 on: September 24, 2017, 02:53:37 PM »
Very interesting - on the original ones you can see how the bolts at both ends could be retained at any 45 degree increment. Clever stuff!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #873 on: September 25, 2017, 12:52:01 AM »
[quote author=crueby
Very interesting - on the original ones you can see how the bolts at both ends could be retained at any 45 degree increment. Clever stuff!

Yes and i have not seen these on other engines on its sister engine at the Ramm brewery they have double nuts but this engine is still running unlike the Beeleigh engine that burnt down in 1875 and has been untouched since then, A few more pics of the restoration progress with removal of the pistons. Also a drawing of the piston construction....The piston is tapered at the bottom inversely and the piston was slid down the piston rod and a nut followed it and tightened up from above.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:57:06 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #874 on: September 29, 2017, 10:25:59 PM »
Hello Willy,

Having not been on here for far too long I've just caught up with the fact you now have your engine finished. That's a great result all round and a lovely runner to boot. Nothing beats that after so much effort so I expect you are well pleased with the outcome.

I'll look forwards to catching up with you on Sunday and seeing the engine run for real.

Regards for now - Ramon (Tug)
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #875 on: September 30, 2017, 01:27:19 AM »
Hi Tug thanks for that just a few little jobs to do before sunday.............will be good to catch up again on sunday ...cheers

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #876 on: October 09, 2017, 01:55:30 PM »
Hi, All   good fun at Forncett last week and i will be posting photos 8 at a time soon. Also News from Beeleigh....They have removed the pistons and have started to take them apart and this reviews the construction that i have not seen before!! So these are contemporaneous with the build about 1810-30, they do not have an exact date for the engine. The pistons have two sets of four iron 1/4 shaped hoops that have brass wedges to expand them into the bore. it looks like there is a spring behind these rings to expand them into the bore. They are all in a remarkably good state of preservation and even have a polished look to them, from the reflections of the table. So to Forncett, i took  the Beeleigh engine and attempted to run it on air....but after about half an hour it started to squeek and the stopped running as if it had seized up !! the motion was then very tight and would not run again and it was suggested i should have had an oiler in the air line ! Also as it is a compound it would work quite differently from steam as it would with air......any way good to see the other MEM men there. and here are the picks......

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #877 on: October 09, 2017, 04:30:16 PM »
Hi Willy,
 That's a shame about the engine, I hope theres no damage, I guess an oiler is in the pipeline.

Thanks for the photos of the piston, those old guys were pretty cunning! Would love to see some more pictures when you guys get it apart some more

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #878 on: October 09, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »
Hi Kerrin , an oiler in the pipeline !! yup diffinately.....More pics.......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #879 on: October 10, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »
more pics........Also at the local Mans Shed we have a very worn used Southbend lathe  9" ,Model A , bed length 3 1/2 feet  Gearbox plate No 4447....bed number 118877  with the cross slide feed screw  3/8 " it needs a new one of these with the nut which is also worn......are spares available and any info about how to remove the feed screw as it has a powered cross slide gear wheel attached. Any info about this would be very useful ..........Thanks.......

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #880 on: October 10, 2017, 09:33:53 PM »
Willy,
Go here for lots of info, links, etc. for South Bend Lathes:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/

If that doesn't yield the information you need then contact me directly. I know the 9" family pretty well.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #881 on: October 11, 2017, 01:21:45 AM »
Hi, Pete thanks for this , I shall look it up and it looks to be really helpful......
Willy.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #882 on: October 12, 2017, 01:28:37 AM »
Hi Pete, i cannot log into this site as they have told me that my email address is already in use ??? I wanted to know how to remove the cross slide feed screw and is it possible to get a replacement feed screw and nut , possibly in the UK ?? if you can help that would be great. Also the serial number on the bed is  118877 So this seems a bit unusual ?? This screw has a gear attached that stops it being extracted ? Thanks

willy

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #883 on: October 12, 2017, 04:56:45 AM »
Hi Willy,
If my Hercus is as good a clone as I think it is the pinion that is machined at the near end of the cross-slide screw doesn't stop it being removed. Just behind the boss that has the fiducial line for the cross-slide index there should be a small hole on the underside.  This is for a pin spanner to unscrew the sleeve - the feed screw should come with it. I'll PM you with more details.
DT
Don't die wondering!

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #884 on: October 12, 2017, 06:28:16 AM »
Willy, Just remembered that I had a scrap saddle at the back of a cupboard so I took a couple of pictures. I don't have one from a Model A with a gear but they come apart the same way. This one doesn't have a hole for a C spanner, might have to use a strap wrench
DT
Don't die wondering!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal