Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194275 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #855 on: September 21, 2017, 02:47:56 AM »
Excellent!!   :pinkelephant: :whoohoo: :cartwheel:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #856 on: September 21, 2017, 08:12:14 AM »
The engine looks great! I'm really looking forward to seeing it in the metal at Forncett.

David
Don't die wondering!

Online sco

« Reply #857 on: September 21, 2017, 08:14:44 AM »
The engine looks great! I'm really looking forward to seeing it in the metal at Forncett.

David

Me too - see you soon Willy!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #858 on: September 21, 2017, 11:50:55 AM »
Congratulations on a fine runner and a nice scalemodel after all your work  :praise2:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #859 on: September 21, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »
 8) well done Willy,

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #860 on: September 21, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »
Thanks for all the kind comments, It was great fun making this engine and also being involved in a small way with the restoration, Also thanks to Clare ,my satnav and photography buddy for putting up with all my questions and comments about modern IT stuff !!. The next project may be the Elephant boiler and the Corn grinding 'Hurst' to go with it. I am also exploring the possibility of making the stand for the model with the scale bricks that one can purchase.... The next beam engine i would like to make is the Woolf compound by J.E.Hall that is ensconced in the Science museum... Also i would like to make one of the engines that was in the local sewage pumping station here in Norridge The only item remaining in the BLDG is one of the spiral staircases !!...There is one photo and lots of drawings in the local archives for these engines. So we shall see...........
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:38:36 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #861 on: September 22, 2017, 01:26:06 AM »

Beeleigh Mill model working under steam
Not a valid vimeo URL
So the engine is now working under steam after more adjustments here and there,! one of the advantages with steam is that you can see where the leaks are. So more tidying up and assembling the condenser and air pump. The governor also needs connecting up and unfortunately i have lost one of the bevel gears so it won't be revolving,  And just a week to go for Forncett...........

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #862 on: September 22, 2017, 01:46:37 AM »
Wonderful to see it under steam, beautifully done!

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #863 on: September 22, 2017, 08:49:56 AM »
Hi Willy, a beautiful job and great to see it running on steam, just as it should.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline kvom

« Reply #864 on: September 22, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »
How slow can it run?  When one sees videos of restored beam engines the beams have a very "majestic" motion.  It would be nice to see this model running at about half the speed in your video.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #865 on: September 22, 2017, 02:20:50 PM »
How slow can it run?  When one sees videos of restored beam engines the beams have a very "majestic" motion.  It would be nice to see this model running at about half the speed in your video.

Hi Kvom ,yes i know what you mean  , I shall try and see how slow it could go, at the moment it is between 60 and 80 rpm........ :thinking: It might need a heavier flywheel to keep the momentum though. I could mill out the rear of said flywheel and fill it with lead !!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #866 on: September 22, 2017, 03:00:29 PM »
On the twin beam engine I did, the way I got it to run slower was to fit a needle valve in the steam line close to the cyklinders and adjust the speed with that rather than changing the flow back at the boiler or compressor with the pressure regulator. That way it had higher pressure but lower flow at the cylinder, and would let me dial the speed down a lot more. At least, thats the explanation I wound up with, it did work though. That one had a small light flywheel, which at the low speeds was pretty much irrelevant. That was on a twin cylinder with 90 degree offset cranks, so no dead spots to have to carry through on. In your engine, the heavier flywheel would help with that.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #867 on: September 22, 2017, 03:08:33 PM »
Hi Chris ,i do have a needle valve on the inlet to the steam jacket so that might have the effect of wiredrawing the steam to slow it down ???????

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #868 on: September 22, 2017, 03:12:32 PM »
Hi Chris ,i do have a needle valve on the inlet to the steam jacket so that might have the effect of wiredrawing the steam to slow it down ???????
Quite possible, it worked on mine, but that one is not a compound like yours. If it's already there, worth a try! At worst, you get to steam it up and watch it go again, which is always fun anyway.   ^-^

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #869 on: September 24, 2017, 12:52:09 AM »
Well ,i have managed to slow it down but the needle valve is a bit tricky to get exactly right !! cleaning up some of the parts ...the beam bearings have square bolts just one per stud and they are just adjusted and then have a plate filed to keep them from turning. The weight of the beam and sweep rod and pistons keeps it from needing too much pressure to keep it in place.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal