Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193814 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #780 on: July 04, 2017, 02:58:15 AM »
Ok, so i have been trying out how to make these parts ......there are two of them so two pieces of brass are soft soldered together, then a paper templates glued on and the slots sawn out to feature the casting flanges. the legs are then slotted after soft soldering to a back plate to stop them flapping about. A plate is then silver soldered in position, but left oversize to give some rigidity whilst fashioning to fit the back plate etc, I will see how this turns out and may try something different............
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:36:12 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #781 on: July 04, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »
Well this works in principle so will make some more........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #782 on: July 05, 2017, 02:30:53 AM »
So this one has been made ...the technique is ok but the execution leaves a lot to be desired so i shall have to make a new pair ...........learning on the job i think it is called,!!......A few pics and one where it attaches to the A frame

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #783 on: July 07, 2017, 02:45:25 AM »
The top governor transfer trunnions are now made and in position ....still a few items to make before i can start painting the A frames.......

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #784 on: July 07, 2017, 02:55:59 AM »
Looking great!

:popcorn:

:popcornsmall:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #785 on: July 12, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »
I have made the Governor primary shaft  bearings ,however there we're two, but one of them has totally vanished so will have to make a new one :'(..................

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #786 on: July 12, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »
Uh oh, forgot to leave a plate of cookies out for the shop gnomes?   :facepalm:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #787 on: July 12, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »
Uh oh, forgot to leave a plate of cookies out for the shop gnomes?   :facepalm:

Hi, It is weird how some things completely disappear......./despair..yes./dissolved....possibly...,discover? hopefully !!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:11:55 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #788 on: July 13, 2017, 03:21:13 AM »
more work ........trial assembly to get the position for the governor primary bearing block position/ also the base and bearing blocks will be painted black and the A frames beam  engine and sweep rod will be green. also the base plate with Beeleigh Mill lightly engraved upon.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #789 on: July 13, 2017, 10:53:12 AM »
Beautiful work Willy,  a pity about that bearing, but the extra one usually goes quicker.  When it is complete you will no doubt find the third.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #790 on: July 13, 2017, 11:05:14 PM »
It's shaping up beautifully  :praise2: and unless you're going to do the whole setting, building and everything .... you're not far off a finished project  :cartwheel:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #791 on: July 14, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »
It's shaping up beautifully  :praise2: and unless you're going to do the whole setting, building and everything .... you're not far off a finished project  :cartwheel:

Hi thanks for that, it has been a long project ,but i think it will be worth it .I have been thinking about also making the elephant boiler to go with it, and also the  Hirst corn grinding set up but at the moment it is just the engine. I have investigated using proper miniature bricks rarther than wallpaper, but as i will be transporting this around it needs to be quite sturdy......we shall see...........!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #792 on: July 15, 2017, 01:39:51 AM »
more work on the finishing and painting the parts. One of the things you find when painting with the matt grey etch primer are the flaws in the surfaces !! however this does mean you can rework the parts with filing and fillers !! i have been using Brummer Stopping as this is pre mixed and very quick drying and is not affected by paint. I found the bearing block ! after making the new parts i went to the soldering heatproof pad and it was sitting there looking very smug!! I have also extended the height of the old 20's drilling machine to be able to reach over the top of the 'A' frames

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #793 on: July 15, 2017, 01:54:18 AM »
Looking great! And now that the shop gnomes returned the bearing, you have a spare. To use it up, you need to build another copy of this wonderful engine!!

:popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #794 on: July 15, 2017, 02:10:13 AM »
thanks i could offer a kit (just one) wth a load of bar stock and just this part to one lucky purchaser !! a bit like a set of Hepplewhite restored chairs..........using one original chair that has been taken apart and one piece incorporated into the other 12 !! ...actuallyi have quite a few "spare" parts ready to be gold plated and turned into jewellery !! some lucky friends..........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal