Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194150 times)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #765 on: June 12, 2017, 06:58:52 AM »
Hi Willy, always impressive to see your progress.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #766 on: June 17, 2017, 08:13:43 PM »
Great progress as ever, I like those laser cut BA spanners  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #767 on: June 19, 2017, 12:46:28 AM »
Hi, the spanners came from    Model Engineer Laser......that i bought at Doncaster show this year.   More pre painting work.  When i set up the valve events i left a spigot on the eccentric sheave with 4 gru/b screws to get it in the correct position in relation to the crank. Now it is in the right place i have drilled through the sheave into the crank shaft to position a pin, and the rear part of the sheave will be removed. This pin will be locktited in place before the strap is replaced. I will remove the shank of the drill to use as the pin as this is good quality steel and is the same size as the drilled hole.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #768 on: June 23, 2017, 04:13:53 PM »
more work on the eccentric sheave, the rear part is removed and the spaces drilled and filled out using the edge of the removed part as a guide to work to. As this would have been a two part pattern casting, the profile is slightly tapered on both sides towards the middle. This makes it easier to file from both sides so as not to cut too deep and loose the correct shape on either side.Also as a casting the inside would not be machined, only fettled so the finnish will have a bit more of an as cast look to it.!! Also seen in another post...is this item a rather posh die holder or a convenient holder when using dies of different sizes when threading a rod of differing threaded portions ??

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #769 on: June 27, 2017, 09:32:34 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx2SYiMbyk0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx2SYiMbyk0</a>

Hi doing more to the engine getting ready for painting ...in the mean time here is a vid of me making instruments circa 1978............

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #770 on: June 27, 2017, 10:30:50 PM »
Fascinating work! At least now we know where you learned the file and torch work.... Do you still do instrument work along with the engines?

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #771 on: June 27, 2017, 11:36:04 PM »
Did you catch that re-saw..... without a fence!!!

"That Boy, I say, that Boy there got the talent early!!"

That's a wonderful video, Robert. Thank you very much for sharing!

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #772 on: June 28, 2017, 01:27:54 AM »
Willy,  you leave me in awe.  What magnificent craft.

Nice to see the bandsaw, after serving its apprenticeship, found its real purpose in life.  Loved those clamps, and puss was a nice touch.

Wonderful

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #773 on: June 28, 2017, 01:41:45 AM »
Thanks for the comments , I don't actually make instruments anymore as my health has let me down...quite hard work using hand tools !!  Now i use machine tools ,much easier... and yes the catgut for for strings came from somewhere else !! Also no health and safety in 1978 just common sense !!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:44:47 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #774 on: June 29, 2017, 02:25:01 PM »
This is Happening this W/E..........just down the road from me........

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #775 on: June 29, 2017, 07:20:01 PM »
Wish I was a LOT closer - looks to be a fun event, videos, we need videos!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #776 on: June 30, 2017, 02:17:19 PM »
Hi Chris ,the steam ups are once a month at Forncett and i have been there many times and the next visit will be at the MEM meet up on the 1St October. iSo i will be there and promise to take some video footage then !! In the meantime i will be finishing off the engine and am thinking about a suitable base. I have made the first one from MDF and dolls house wallpaper, but am looking to perhaps making it with real bricks from Stacey's. I have a few samples "free" and to make the correct diorama with full bricks rather than 'slips' will cost about £200 !! this will be a '9'inch wall without queen closers or voussers etc etc.....so will see what happens..............

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #777 on: July 02, 2017, 02:19:03 AM »
I have now started painting some of the parts, the base plate and bearing blocks. there are a few more parts to be made but these will have a chance to really dry and harden off prior to assembly. ``i have been using JD weld as a filler but is there a solvent one can use before applying this to make a really good bond....

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #778 on: July 02, 2017, 10:46:55 AM »
Good morning Steam Guy Willy

On aluminum and brass I use a product called Alumabrite it will clean all oil, surface oxide and etc. I then wash the parts real good with clean water and then dry off with paper towels. Apply the first coat of primer as soon as the parts are completely dry. This is a acid compound so you have to be careful using it.
Thomas

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #779 on: July 03, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »
So a few more bits to make    the governor linkage......so ....a lever comes off the governor and goes up to a cross shaft and then back down to the main steam valve. I do not know why it goes up just to come back down again ?? It could just operate the valve by an arm coming off the lower shaft ??.
anyway it is there so will have to feature on the model !!
Good morning Steam Guy Willy

On aluminum and brass I use a product called Alumabrite it will clean all oil, surface oxide and etc. I then wash the parts real good with clean water and then dry off with paper towels. Apply the first coat of primer as soon as the parts are completely dry. This is a acid compound so you have to be careful using it.

I do use the acid etch pre painting paint from Phoenix Precision Paints, am was just enquiring about a solvent to enable the JD weld to adhere to the brass and Nickel silver components.....Thanks for your info.      .a few pics

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal