Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193797 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #750 on: May 30, 2017, 02:56:40 PM »
Hi Cris, this engine was built by Thomas F Rowland ,Continental Works  Greenpoint Brooklyn in 1881/2   In the writeup it says there are but two steam chests, the exhaust valve is inside the inlet valve, I shall get a copy of the full writeup later..............

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #751 on: May 30, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »
Hi Cris, this engine was built by Thomas F Rowland ,Continental Works  Greenpoint Brooklyn in 1881/2   In the writeup it says there are but two steam chests, the exhaust valve is inside the inlet valve, I shall get a copy of the full writeup later..............
Nested valves, sneaky!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #752 on: May 31, 2017, 01:20:28 AM »
Hi Chris, this is the explanation  of the engine...........hope you can read it

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #753 on: May 31, 2017, 02:04:28 AM »
Hi Chris, this is the explanation  of the engine...........hope you can read it
Very interesting description, thanks! Amazing how many variations of each component there are.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #754 on: June 01, 2017, 01:50:09 AM »
I have attached the cross bar to the boiler feed pump tank and bolted on the air pump assy to see how it all goes together.......

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #755 on: June 01, 2017, 03:12:25 AM »
Intersting article. I only understood a little of it, but what really hit home was that this was all "state of the art" 125 years ago. Makes me wonder what "state of the art" will be 125 years from now, compared to todays "state of the art".  :shrug:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #756 on: June 07, 2017, 01:17:39 AM »
The engine is now ready for finishing the details and painting. I have been making the casting webs detail on the air pump tank with brass and nickel silver bar that is the correct sections. Nickel silver is still available in lots of different sections on the web. Also some BA spanners i bought at the Doncaster show, these are available from  2 to 12 BA and are lazer cut in stainless steel.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #757 on: June 07, 2017, 01:30:56 AM »
I love those spanners! Are they available online? Great detail pieces for models.

Can you post a link or two for the nickle silver sections? Have not seen them around.

Looking forward to seeing the model finishing process... :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #758 on: June 07, 2017, 10:53:01 AM »
H i Chris, The spanners came from one of the stalls at this years Doncaster show but i did not take a note of who they were ,perhaps somebody else knows who went there, The ring spanner ends are really good at holding nuts and bolts in awkward places !! There are numerous Nickel Silver suppliers here in Blighty and if you type it in you should find somewhere in the states. It is quite a large industry and there are sites selling it for jewellery and other small end users...The lombard is looking really good, will post more stuff soon.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #759 on: June 07, 2017, 02:35:42 PM »
H i Chris, The spanners came from one of the stalls at this years Doncaster show but i did not take a note of who they were ,perhaps somebody else knows who went there, The ring spanner ends are really good at holding nuts and bolts in awkward places !! There are numerous Nickel Silver suppliers here in Blighty and if you type it in you should find somewhere in the states. It is quite a large industry and there are sites selling it for jewellery and other small end users...The lombard is looking really good, will post more stuff soon.

I have been looking, but must not be hitting the correct phrase in my searches - lots of suppliers for the sheet stock and round bar, but thats it... Nothing with other section shapes.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #760 on: June 07, 2017, 09:36:05 PM »
Hi Chris, I bought mine some time ago so can't remember exactly where. Here are a few links i have found....I don't think the suppliers put on every size they do, but if you contact them they may have it in stock........

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #761 on: June 07, 2017, 09:51:35 PM »
Thanks, I will check them out!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #762 on: June 12, 2017, 02:03:58 AM »
Am now finishing the engine..lots of square headed bolts to make. i use the hardened steel thread gauge for this, using hex headed bolts and filling them square.  painting has started with the acid etch paint first as this is mainly brass and copper.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #763 on: June 12, 2017, 02:06:27 AM »
Those square head bolts look great, nice touch!

:popcorn:

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #764 on: June 12, 2017, 06:30:21 AM »
Hi Willy,
 The square head bolts are making a great difference! Much more in era!

The detail on the end of the sump adds a lot!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal