Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193855 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #705 on: March 28, 2017, 11:03:19 AM »
Tea? Isn't there a law about that where you live?  ;D

:popcorn:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #706 on: April 01, 2017, 01:27:54 PM »
Tea? Isn't there a law about that where you live?  ;D

Hi, There is a law about this yes,unless one is a teetotaller !!?

Have started on the proper air pump sub assembly and will make it out of brass, I have sawn it out of a large lump !! and as my mum also said  'let the tool do the work' so it didn't take too long !!I have also used the plastic template to 'spot' through for the holes.............I have been using 'small woods decimal gauge and noticed that they used the same divisions from a metric rule to get the thousandths of an inch graduations. this gauge only measures up to 1/8". I thought it would be quite easy to make my own from two rulers to measure wider distances......will keep you posted...........

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #707 on: April 01, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »
You crack me up Willy!     Nice demo!   I like that one a lot!

Dave
 :lolb:
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online sco

« Reply #708 on: April 01, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »
You crack me up Willy!

Dave
 :lolb:

Me too!  Still following your progress,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #709 on: April 03, 2017, 02:30:56 AM »
more work on the air pump, the condenser and the air pump cylinders have been turned up and will be bolted to the base with 10BA square headed bolts the condenser gland has 12BA square headed bolts. these will be filed up from standard hex headed bolts from EKP.......incidentally his bolts and nuts have different size a/f heads as he makes the bolts but buys in the nuts !! so i have two different size spanners and nut runners.......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #710 on: April 04, 2017, 02:11:42 AM »
More work on the base 'casting' milling and filing etc etc......This is almost the last part to make so getting there slowly........

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #711 on: April 04, 2017, 02:16:49 AM »
Impressive!

:popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #712 on: April 07, 2017, 01:35:30 AM »
M making the bottom valve twixt the condenser and air pump. i am using a Nitrile ball and after boring out the connecting hole have made a seating for the ball, this is slightly convex and the bore is smaller than usual to stop the ball being sucked into it !! this tube is loctighted in place ant is pushed in using the other long tube. the ball is held in place with a very light spring. also a pic of where it is being installed under the base plate.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #713 on: April 07, 2017, 01:38:24 AM »
Neat, never knew that they made balls in nitrile. Are they about like an o ring for hardness? Will it flex a bit to help seal well?

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #714 on: April 07, 2017, 04:33:22 AM »
Hi Willy,
 That's looking real cool!
Haven't said much lately but have been following along!

On the nitrile ball front, I use them in the boiler feed water clack valves on my loco...they work really welll. The only down side I found is that after awhile they seem to either go out of round, or get the seat marks in them. Found this out by chance after having the steam blow back, & replacing them they worked fine for a while longer. While investigating what was going on I did the suck blow test & was getting a seal then no seal! Have since seen somewhere that instead of a nice square faced hole that you need for stainless balls you need to have a taper for the ball to sit in, not sure how much sorry. I guess the idea is to give a bigger seating surface.
Recently saw a reference to ceramic balls for something else I was looking at, & think I may give these ago with the square hole to see how they work. My clacks have pressed in seats so not to much of an effort to replace, but Chris's elves while nick them if I take them out!

Cheers Kerrin

Whoops Chris, they are harder than orings
Get excited and make something!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #715 on: April 07, 2017, 03:24:29 PM »
Hi Willy,
 That's looking real cool!
Haven't said much lately but have been following along!

On the nitrile ball front, I use them in the boiler feed water clack valves on my loco...they work really welll. The only down side I found is that after awhile they seem to either go out of round, or get the seat marks in them. Found this out by chance after having the steam blow back, & replacing them they worked fine for a while longer. While investigating what was going on I did the suck blow test & was getting a seal then no seal! Have since seen somewhere that instead of a nice square faced hole that you need for stainless balls you need to have a taper for the ball to sit in, not sure how much sorry. I guess the idea is to give a bigger seating surface.
Recently saw a reference to ceramic balls for something else I was looking at, & think I may give these ago with the square hole to see how they work. My clacks have pressed in seats so not to much of an effort to replace, but Chris's elves while nick them if I take them out!

Hi ,thanks for the info,  and...is there any info from the manufactures about metal and profiles for these items ??
Willbert

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #716 on: April 07, 2017, 10:57:29 PM »
Hi Willy,
 I've never looked. A few guys in this part of the world were using them & having great results, so I got a couple to try. As I said they worked well for a while, then started to pass. They weren't very expensive that I remember so I just replace them when I get annoyed at the leak!
As my loco has been in the shop for repairs for far too long, I haven't done anything about making new seats with the taper but it's on the to do list, just not near the top!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #717 on: April 08, 2017, 02:45:51 AM »
Thanks for the nitrile info.........The rest of the air pump is made so now it can be installed in the engine .....then the feed pump to make......then remaking some parts etc etc etc. you may notice one of the gland bolts is missing !! thats because i have lost it ! those WKSP gremlins again.....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #718 on: April 13, 2017, 02:05:23 AM »
The Hot well assy is made and after drawing it up and trying it out the proper one is made from 18G copper. it is sawn out on the mini bandsaw then filed up and some of the bends made using the bending tool. The other bends are made with dead reckoning, then cobbled together and adjusting the parts to fit !! it is now bolted together and after some pre fettling will be tinned up and then riveted  and finally soldered together.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:20:16 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #719 on: April 13, 2017, 02:07:33 AM »
More pics with the copper hotwell....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal