Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193843 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #690 on: March 18, 2017, 10:52:02 PM »
The other parts of the condenser expansion gland are made but need to be tidied up. the gland bolts are turned and threaded 10BA. when i make these small components i turn them with a taper to stop them bending at the extremity, they are then threaded with the tailstock die holder and then finish turned afterwards. I use square bar stock as i can accurately drill the cross hole and also make it easier to file up in the vice with more precision using the square faces as datums. ...........I have also used the decimal inch gauge that makes sizing the small diameters easier. as this is an analogue measuring tool it is very quick to use and hold.......

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #691 on: March 18, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
Very nice as usual, I like your drill bit trick.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #692 on: March 20, 2017, 02:01:15 PM »
STOP PRESS,.....some Breaking News about the Beeleigh mill engine..............they have just managed to turn the engine flywheel 45 degrees after much lubrication and gentle tapping with a wooden mallet !! They still need to separate the engine from the flour mill, But things are looking good for this restoration project. This is the first time it has moved since 1875 !!! so good old victorian engineering and whitworth nuts and bolts that will always be removable !! No pics yet  but further info will be released................YEA...........Some old photos from the 50's

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #693 on: March 20, 2017, 05:45:04 PM »
Exciting news! Bet there were some wide eyes and big grins!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #694 on: March 20, 2017, 06:40:43 PM »
Why do Whitworth threads come free from rust better than 60* threads??

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #695 on: March 20, 2017, 06:53:15 PM »
Probably because 'Whitworth' threads are a coarser pitch, rather than thread angle. Maybe UNC lets go before UNF ??

Does seem to be true, maybe any penetrating fluid gets in better.

BSF or BSCycle ( 26 TPI ) often shear rather than unscrew  ...  :'(  been there many times ...  :facepalm:

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #696 on: March 23, 2017, 12:33:16 AM »
Started work on the air pump. I will be making a perspex maquette first as a demonstration model to see how the flap valves operate. first the outside 'casting' is turned up . the other piece of perspex is to locate the drilled holes in the bottom part that joins the condenser and air pump together.As there is a lot of overhang at the top of the air pump housing it would be difficult to spot the holes through to the base.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #697 on: March 23, 2017, 01:00:39 AM »
Its great to see the details that are usually hidden away. Great stuff!

:popcorn:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #698 on: March 23, 2017, 01:37:23 AM »
This is really cool stuff, Willy!! I'm still amazed that those badly rusted parts still come apart.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #699 on: March 23, 2017, 11:44:14 AM »
This is really cool stuff, Willy!! I'm still amazed that those badly rusted parts still come apart.

Pete

Talking about taking things apart ,this is the main steam valve that 'fell' apart when they undid the bolts !! the central rod is the governor valve and that is proving a bit more tricky. Also a pic of the mill in the 1950's with its chimney, that has now disappeared. They are a bit concerned about the corrosion but i said that actually all those small indentations will provide its own seal under steam......is that correct ??

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #700 on: March 26, 2017, 02:15:50 AM »
More  work on the perspex air pump and condenser housing, the top flap valve is made and it uses a piece of chamoise leather as they flap part. this would have been leather or latex rubber on the original and later valves used thin brass or bronze plates. the holes for the base part uses the turned flanged disc to drill the holes in the correct places. there will be a flap valve as part of the piston and also another between the condenser and air pump.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #701 on: March 27, 2017, 01:39:35 AM »
I have continued with the air pump and have made the condenser pipe and the bottom ball valve. as this is perspex i have made a brass seating for the the valve ball. so just the piston valve to make and then i can make the real item out of brass. I like to make these small maquettes to see how it will go together so i don't make any mistakes with the noble metals.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #702 on: March 27, 2017, 02:16:46 AM »
That works out great. Did you keep the perspex parts from earlier in the build? Bet they would make a nice side display to your engine to show how the inner mechanism works.

:popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #703 on: March 28, 2017, 02:58:23 AM »

Beeleigh mill air pump operation
Not a valid vimeo URLThe Air pump and Condenser parts are now made and here is a short video of it working .The photos show the flap valves and the transfer holes to pass the air/steam or in this case Tea out of the condenser pipe to the upper chamber of the air pump that is then transferred to the boiler feed pump and the overflow.......

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #704 on: March 28, 2017, 03:17:42 AM »
Thanks for the video! Hope the tea was cold.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal