Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193807 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #660 on: February 17, 2017, 02:11:44 AM »
Still watching, Willy.  :popcorn:

It's a fascinating and worthwhile project.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #661 on: February 17, 2017, 02:33:43 AM »
Still watching, Willy.  :popcorn:

It's a fascinating and worthwhile project.

It has been both  interesting and informative constructing this engine ,and i feel quite privileged with the help and access given to me by the Beeleigh Mill  restoration group to be able to make this engine. I have learnt so much about steam engines as well as this is an original and unrestored or modified engine. Here is a pic of one of the straps lattice work !!. I used to make kits that was interesting but you only get a fairly simplified set up ,however they are helpful to get people started in this hobby, to then go onto other projects.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:42:14 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline billmac

« Reply #662 on: February 17, 2017, 04:06:01 PM »
Saw this paragraph from an 1872 book about steam.................................!!!

I can't refute this from first hand experience (not having been scalded by high pressure steam), but everything I have learned about steam says that this advice is seriously wrong. The temperature of high pressure steam is obviously high and heat flows from a high temperature to a lower temperature (your body). A rule of thumb is that a steam scald at a moderate pressure is about 10 times more destructive than a typical water based scald. Added to this is the fact that steam is transparent and if coming from a high pressure source is invisible. The speed with which steam issues from such a source is sufficient to cut chunks out of you as well as simultaneously cooking you. An old steam guy once told me that if you know that a steam pipe has let go in your vicinity, but you aren't sure where, the last thing you should do is walk around looking for the leak. If you walk into the steam jet (invisible) that might be the last thing you do. And if it doesn't immediately kill you, you will wish it had.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #663 on: February 17, 2017, 05:38:22 PM »
Saw this paragraph from an 1872 book about steam.................................!!!

I can't refute this from first hand experience (not having been scalded by high pressure steam), but everything I have learned about steam says that this advice is seriously wrong. The temperature of high pressure steam is obviously high and heat flows from a high temperature to a lower temperature (your body). A rule of thumb is that a steam scald at a moderate pressure is about 10 times more destructive than a typical water based scald. Added to this is the fact that steam is transparent and if coming from a high pressure source is invisible. The speed with which steam issues from such a source is sufficient to cut chunks out of you as well as simultaneously cooking you. An old steam guy once told me that if you know that a steam pipe has let go in your vicinity, but you aren't sure where, the last thing you should do is walk around looking for the leak. If you walk into the steam jet (invisible) that might be the last thing you do. And if it doesn't immediately kill you, you will wish it had.

Yes i totally agree with what you have said .......i have talked to a few people that have witnessed this and they all say the same thing about the dangers of steam leeks, this book was obviously written by an   Academic   rather than a steam worker ......This book was written by someone called Henry Evers.  The front page is missing so do not have any info about him.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 05:41:26 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #664 on: February 19, 2017, 03:05:57 AM »
The new strap stretcher has been made .the sides are 1/4" so at 1/16 th scale the thickness of the sides is 15/10000" thick which is quite small. what i have done is to file this part so the wall thickness is tapered to give more stability to it.,,bit like the draft in the wooden patten !!I have made a small jig to make this easier and the slots are filed out and the diagonals silver soldered in. this is done in two stages. so this second attempt is a bit more presentable and i am reasonably happy with it. so only 3 more to make.....................

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #665 on: February 19, 2017, 10:01:24 PM »
Those are looking great!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #666 on: February 24, 2017, 03:00:27 AM »
I have made a start on the HP strap and it seemed to be going well but it is smaller than the LP strap so was a lot more fiddley, This will have to be made again but with much thinner diagonals. so it will look a bit like this when made properly................

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #667 on: February 24, 2017, 05:40:55 AM »
Willie, I thought you were doing some very fiddley bits when you started this project, but now the parts are sooo much smaller and more complicated!!

Excellent work!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #668 on: February 25, 2017, 12:06:37 AM »
Wow, very fiddly bits, but the result is amazing.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #669 on: February 26, 2017, 03:08:33 AM »
Yes these bits are fiddly and i am going to make the spacer parts again using much thinner diagonal parts .the gibs and cotters have been made however and the straps filed to size..........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #670 on: March 02, 2017, 01:39:29 AM »
I have another go at these tiny spacers and have used 20 Thou steel for the diagonals. I have also used thinner silver solder to hold them in place. I have cut grooves in the parts to hold the silver solder in position, using this thinner solder stops the holes filling up with too much solder. So, this new one is a bit better..........Also a corliss ship engine i found in The Engineer from 1876.......Also if you look at the lettering on the modern penny, you will find it is not very good, this is because they are made from steel rather than copper......just something for the Numismatists  amongst us !!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 01:44:25 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #671 on: March 02, 2017, 02:19:15 AM »
Just incredible tiny bits!

I like the marine corliss drawing, an elegant design.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #672 on: March 02, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
Just incredible tiny bits!

I like the marine corliss drawing, an elegant design.

Hi, I  included the Corliss engine because i think i read in previous comments somewhere that they didn't have Corliss engines on steam ships ? this is from the Engineer  October 20TH 1876 if you want to look it up on Graces Guide.....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #673 on: March 02, 2017, 04:13:40 PM »
I was not familiar with Graces Guide or The Engineer - just took a browse through a couple issues, some fantastic illustrations and articles!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #674 on: March 02, 2017, 11:32:05 PM »
I was not familiar with Graces Guide or The Engineer - just took a browse through a couple issues, some fantastic illustrations and articles!

Everybody should know about Graces Guide  !!!!!!! i am slowly working my way through it......... It started in 1856 and i have got up to 1876 at the moment and the engravings are superb   :praise2: :ThumbsUp:............It is a weekly paper that covers so many fascinating subjects........I love it....and it is still being published.........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal