Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193805 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #630 on: January 04, 2017, 11:52:21 PM »
Ah, have not seen a reference to a planimeter in a long time. I have one that I use for boat hull design, got it for calculating areas and displacements before the days of software design tools on home computers. Really neat tools, another one where someone had a brilliant moment of thought to design them.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #631 on: January 05, 2017, 02:20:00 AM »
Nice Willy!     Love the planimeter!....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #632 on: January 05, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »
Nice Willy!     Love the planimeter!....

Dave

Hi dave , yes ,I got it for £20 at a flea market as the chap did not know what it was !! Oldschool stuff is good .......i prefer to say  Olds cool  though. As experts with using this tool, can one use it in reverse to plan out a certain area that you may require ??

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #633 on: January 05, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »
Reverse plotting out an area wouldn't really work, you could draw a number of curved areas and measure to find what they are by trial and error though.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #634 on: January 06, 2017, 03:46:13 AM »
Reverse plotting out an area wouldn't really work, you could draw a number of curved areas and measure to find what they are by trial and error though.

thanks for the info...      I have now had to remake the motion hanger pins as the first ones that were drilled and tapped for 10BA broke off because there was not enough meat on them, new ones have been made using 12 BA bolts and, because the accuracy is not that critical i have used a heavy duty automatic drill chuck. this is used, as, being quick release the job doesn't take too long when removing and installing the rods

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #635 on: January 06, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
Great job you are doing with this unique early engine, industrial archaeology and model engineering, inspiring thread !
I made an ETW's "Vulcan " beam engine in the past, I see now that I should have done the square nuts as in the plan...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #636 on: January 07, 2017, 05:59:38 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63c9KR0bqb8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63c9KR0bqb8</a>

Hear is the video showing the workings of the Electrically heated steam engine, also the more detailed version that appeared in EIM a few years ago

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #637 on: January 09, 2017, 12:10:34 AM »
I have had to make some bolts different lengths so i have had to make this simple device.......it was some lateral thinking when someone wanted a lightweight bowden cable cutter when cycling to Japan !! it is made from silver steal and at the moment is in its unhardened state it also works well on rivets.......I have not seen this before in my ME mags and i am sure someone else has also come up with this idea.......The problem with most cable cutters is that the shears move apart and don't cut ,however with this device the shear faces can not separate....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #638 on: January 20, 2017, 01:09:41 PM »
More work on the Radius reach rods .........I have used square stock as this is easier to hold in the vice when filing up. I have also turned the ends up round and support them in a brass bush in the tailstock chuck, i find this easier to hold work as i have found when using a centre this can heat up ,expanding the rod so causing the headstock to jam up and slow down ,also the stock is held really rigidly preventing distortion when turning down. The rod end that attaches to the support bracket is made in two parts and so to make it easier to file and drill accurately the parts are silver soldered together ,filed and drilled then reheated and parted. ...................

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #639 on: January 20, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »
More pics.......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #640 on: January 27, 2017, 02:36:29 AM »
The lower air pump crosshead has been made and the parts silver soldered together. The motion work is quite complicated and will have to be very carefully measured up so all the parts fit. !! I am having to make the parts not quite to the drawings so they will actually fit and work, so this part had to be taken apart and re dimensioned.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:45:44 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #641 on: January 27, 2017, 02:41:16 AM »
That's some delicate work, very nice!

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #642 on: January 30, 2017, 12:37:18 PM »
Looking good!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #643 on: February 01, 2017, 02:48:52 AM »
The air pump straps are made next. they are made from square stock so when the holes are drilled using the brass template, they are kept in correct alignment. Once drilled they are filed to shape....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #644 on: February 01, 2017, 03:09:49 AM »
Thats a clever way to do it! Looking good.

What is the purpose of the air pump in the engine?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal