Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194059 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #615 on: December 27, 2016, 01:35:14 PM »
[quote author=plataman
What a fantastic project and huge challenge! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to model this unique engine, I am envious and will follow your progress with great interest. Have a great holiday! Terry across the pond in Texas.

Hi Terry, yes i do feel lucky to be able to make this engine, and to clamber all over it unsupervised. They are in the process of restoring it but it has lane open to the weather since 1875 when the mill burnt down, so is completely seized up. This will be a long job for them i think!!.
I have had to make a few minor adjustments to my engine to fit all the different parts together in proper alignment. also i found another blowhole leak between the cylinder steam jackets that i have filled with J B Weld. I originally used Milliput but that was a mistake. We do have a lot of engines over here that are in various stages of restoration and decay so there is a lot more work for me to do.................
Willy.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #616 on: December 28, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
Ok so the J B Weld has blocked up the pinhole and all i need to do is sort out the timing and adjust all the Linkages to get the valve events correct. I have changed the eccentric sheave to get more movement on the valves and also had to slightly (actually quite a lot) eccentricate  the sweep rod pinion as the pistons were bottoming out in the cylinders !! There is hardly any room to get at the valve rod adjusting nuts on the HPcylinder side and to give an idea how small these parts are, the threaded rod is 10BA !!What i have to do is remove the cylinder block and table ,adjust them then replace them and try a steam test again, and again, and again...........I have also had to strengthen the A frames at the bottom as there was quite a lot of sideways movement from the eccentric rod causing the soft soldered fabrication to part company This should have all been silver soldered in the first place or a casting made !!..............
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:44:46 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #617 on: December 28, 2016, 05:50:07 PM »
Willy been taking in all you pitfalls and still with you mate. Still enjoying your fabrication work..... :praise2:

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #618 on: December 28, 2016, 07:29:13 PM »
The part of the build where you have to disassemble/reassemble over and over is not a lot of fun, but the feeling you get when it finally goes is fantastic!

:popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #619 on: December 29, 2016, 03:08:44 AM »
[quote author=crueby
The part of the build where you have to disassemble/reassemble over and over is not a lot of fun, but the feeling you get when it finally goes is fantastic!

:popcorn:

Hi, yes i agree with that ...so i tried the steam test again and again the LP piston went up and down ok but the HP piston just stayed up and would not push down ....so i have taken it all apart and found a pinhole in the HP cylinder, so the steam was leaking into it from the steam jacket,  the same as what happened in the LP side. this will be caulked up with J B Weld and tested properly then reassembled .......................

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #620 on: January 03, 2017, 10:13:31 PM »
Ok at last the engine is going under its own steam !!!!!! theam condenser and air pump is not yet made and more stuffing needs to be installed in the glands. I now have to make all the proper parts for the motion work etc etc  and now am very pleased that it is now working........ :whoohoo: :cartwheel:

P1100285
Not a valid vimeo URL Anyone

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #621 on: January 04, 2017, 12:43:20 AM »
Well done Willy!

That's looking really cool!

Stuff box leak? What ..... aren't they scale as per the original? They add to the charm! I'm sure you will get them sorted in due course

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #622 on: January 04, 2017, 12:54:06 AM »
Excellent!!  The smile said it all!

:NotWorthy:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #623 on: January 04, 2017, 01:02:18 AM »
Awesome Willy, yeah the smile says it all mate....../ :praise2:

Don

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #624 on: January 04, 2017, 02:35:05 AM »
Beautiful, Willie!!  Wonderful motion that is.. can't wait to see it go with all the bits attached.. :praise2:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #625 on: January 04, 2017, 03:03:44 AM »
Nicely Done Willy!    She's a runnah!!!!

Congratulations Sir!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #626 on: January 04, 2017, 01:13:02 AM »
Very nice Willy. Running them on real steam sure adds a lot too!!

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #627 on: January 04, 2017, 03:22:11 AM »
Congrats Mr. Willy, your persistence has paid off; very nice!

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #628 on: January 04, 2017, 01:41:44 AM »
Wow .thanks for all the comments and I'm glad you all like it. It was well worth all those long hours and head scratching in the middle of the night. Now comes a lot more work on the motion work that will be more like watch making !! I also like everybody else's work on here that i would find quite difficult to emulate !!  some pics of the correct motion work and straps to make next. When making the substitute motion work it was quite amazing how minute adjustments made evening free up and move effortlessly !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #629 on: January 04, 2017, 09:40:17 PM »
[quote author=sco
Still following studiously Willy.  What do you think the stepped cone was for just inside the eccentric?

Hi Simon , I think the stepped pulley may also have been used to drive the indicator to produce the graph for the cylinder pressures. Once drawn the would have used a planimeter to work out the horsepower of the engine. I do have an old Elliott example myself ,so i could make a miniature indicator to put on this engine !! That would be fun !...........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal