Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193988 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #525 on: October 06, 2016, 01:51:58 AM »
Those are beautiful engines, thanks for the pictures!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #526 on: October 08, 2016, 12:58:58 AM »
I have now made a trial set up for the valve events and the dimensions work out, so now have to work back to the eccentric

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #527 on: October 08, 2016, 02:05:38 AM »
Very clever way they did the valve lifters, have not seen that type before. This engine just keeps getting more interesting!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #528 on: October 08, 2016, 03:07:26 AM »
Very clever way they did the valve lifters, have not seen that type before. This engine just keeps getting more interesting!
Yes  quite clever and they only need one valve rod instead of an up and over type. they then need this push part so the rod does not bend.Here is a picture of the Bridewell engine showing the up and over push rod type. You can also remove the steam chest covers to make adjustments easier as well i think. these early engine makers were quite cunning in using as little metal as possible !!........

Offline IanR

• Derby, UK
« Reply #529 on: October 08, 2016, 11:52:03 PM »
Some great looking models there! Thanks for sharing them.

I was wondering about the one with the 'feet' on the drive wheels, looks like a rotary duck walker. Was that a real vehicle? It also has a great companion piece behind it on the right, a 'model tree' - great idea!
Yes ,this is a Burrell of Thetford traction engine and the date on the drawings is  AD 1855 Nov 27   !! a few more pics as well......These are antique engines from the collection of R.O. Clark a local historian and writer of Steam engine collections in East Anglia.
H O Clark was the collector of these engines, his son R H Clark was the writer, and R O Clarke was a motorbike shop in Norwich.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #530 on: October 10, 2016, 01:27:02 AM »

H O Clark was the collector of these engines, his son R H Clark was the writer, and R O Clarke was a motorbike shop in Norwich.

Hi, thanks for that, I should have known that as R.O.Clark motorbike shop was just down the road from where i live with Chapmans  shop.
I have started on the ball joint valve links and  these are made like this as there is a small amount of movement in both planes. They are made with two pieces of square brass drilled with a round nose milling cutter to the correct depth for the ball that will be silver soldered to the arms. the two parts are bolted together using the ball to align them prior to soft soldering to a stout piece of copper faced printed circuit board. bolted to the  faceplate. I have not tried this before so will see what happens. I have used a piece of this board as it will not be so heat conducting as solid copper to enable easier and quicker soldering together.,,,more tomorrow
n

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #531 on: October 11, 2016, 02:49:26 AM »
The part is soldered onto the facedplate PC board with the 250 watt soldering iron. The part is first centred using the tailstock, then turned to dimension. The part is then desoldered and turned over after drilling a hole so the part can sit flush on the board. the part is then desoldered again and sawn and filed to shape. still a bit more cleaning up but it has worked out OK.....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #532 on: October 12, 2016, 11:58:45 PM »
Have made the arm for the ball joint, I have silver soldered a 1/8th steel ball to the end of a square shaft and filed to shape another one to do then all the linkages are made. Good to see Tug tonight talking about his steam engine boat at the model engineers meeting in Norwich......

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #533 on: October 13, 2016, 01:27:36 AM »
Some beautiful fabrication on those links.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #534 on: October 15, 2016, 12:58:49 AM »
the top linkage has been made and connected to the valve shafts.   there is more adjusting to do though.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #535 on: October 15, 2016, 02:46:47 AM »
Quote from: crueby
Some beautiful fabrication on those links.
[/quote

Thanks for the comments, however they should be a bit better and will be worked on before painting. I am being filmed in 2 weeks by the Essex film maker group who are documenting the restoration of the mill at Beeleigh so i shall be saving some of the work for them to film. The restoration will be quite a lengthy undertaking so any footage will not be available for some time!!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #536 on: October 15, 2016, 12:21:42 PM »
I will be filing the use of PCB cut-offs away for future use - nice idea.

Thank you for documenting your interesting project.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #537 on: October 19, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »
I will have 3 of my models engines at the Lowmax exhibition this weekend...The Bridewell beam engine, The Headley beam engine and the A.M.Oscillating engine. I won't be there in person but there will be members from the Norwich sosciety  in attendance.........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #538 on: October 26, 2016, 02:55:46 AM »
The valve gear has been made but it is quite a tight fit trying to get everything in the right place and to adjust everything in situ. It is also very difficult on the big engine as well getting in to measure everything, I will have to make the bearings on the standards again as they are slightly to long. It is a good idea to measure the distances between all the components, as well as the parts themselves.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #539 on: November 01, 2016, 12:48:46 AM »
I have finished the valve gear and it has been posted on VIMEO the link is      Valve events Beeliegh Mill   I will try to post it on this site but so far have not been able to. I have not got much done over the last 2 months as i live in a council house and have had my 5 year inspection and have been told i am a hoarder and have to "clear" the property. so i have had 3 more inspections and it is still not good enough as they have a duty of care to not let me hurt myself....rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb.........................anyway the motion work is next on the list

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal