Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194160 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #495 on: September 08, 2016, 02:10:50 AM »
More stunning work!   :ThumbsUp:

What is the round hole in the side of the large cylinder for, shows in the first picture? Has a fitting on the outside it looks like too. Looking at the pics some more, looks like two holes inside the smaller cylinder too?

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #496 on: September 08, 2016, 02:39:10 AM »
More stunning work!   :ThumbsUp:

What is the round hole in the side of the large cylinder for, shows in the first picture? Has a fitting on the outside it looks like too. Looking at the pics some more, looks like two holes inside the smaller cylinder too?
hi, yes the hole in the LP cinder jacket is the main steam inlet pipe connection, and the other holes between the cylinders feed the steam to the HP steam chest. a couple of pics that show this. Thanks for the comment and there is still lots to do,,,,,,,

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #497 on: September 08, 2016, 02:50:32 AM »
Ah - got it - I forgot that the cylinder goes inside, and that I was looking at the outer jacket. Quite a complex machine!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #498 on: September 09, 2016, 03:47:47 AM »
the LP valve is started ..i use a piece of rectangular bar oversize and mark it out on the end and mill the cavity to size. The waste is sawn off after using a knife type needle fillet start the blade in the right place. They part is then filed to shape using the length of it to hold it firmly in the viice. The stock is place lower in the vice and the side is used as a stop with a hand safe edged file to keep it aligned. more later......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #499 on: September 10, 2016, 12:59:37 PM »
More work on the valve gear....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #500 on: September 11, 2016, 02:03:30 AM »
The gland fittings have been made and also some pics of how i make the square headed bolts using hex headed standard bolts,They are screwed into the thread gauge and filed to shape, then unscrewed to length and filed off. this gauge is hardened steel so it is not damaged by the file. i have found as well that the hex sockets actually turn them ok . The engine won't be finished for the model engineers day at Forncett but will be taken as work in progress.....also to show the construction that is usually hidden by the paint !! The bottom right hand bolt has been broken off on the original and by chance i managed to break off the drill on the model !! so i will have to put in a new bolt as well !!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:16:17 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #501 on: September 12, 2016, 01:53:49 AM »
The main steam valve has been made that's in the HP steam chest.When i drill holes in the small minidrill i hold the vice in place with a round flat magnet. the vice is then positioned in place whilst touching the drill stand rod, this completes the magnetic circuit and holds everything firmly in position.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #502 on: September 16, 2016, 04:02:25 PM »
I have been back to Beeleigh and taken more measurements and photos ,some of them are wide angle thats gives a really good pic in the confines of the small engine room. I have found some discpencies in the measurements and have taken more measurements of the parts relationships with other parts as some parts don't have enough clearance and others too much. Also there is a new unused piston in the Swindon science museum  showing the method of construction.......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #503 on: September 18, 2016, 12:17:12 AM »
I have made the HP support web and used Milliput to fill in the joins with a smooth fillet. The LP valve rod has been made from Nickel Silver in one piece as the cotter is really tiny in this scale. i have to alter the front table profile as well,with the help of some new photos of this part to contain the valve rod.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #504 on: September 19, 2016, 02:27:25 AM »
I have now taken the plunge and fixed the cylinders in place with the Trulock  and the ports are still open as i could poke a bit of solder through the transfer port. hopefully once the gaskets are on the cylinder heads there won't be any leakage. the Cyl table has been modified but needs tidying up and the HP valve has been filed to size, it is quite difficult to work on these small items but i file them up by holding them with the fingers on this squishy green felt stuff ,the pressure of the fingers and file stops the part moving about

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #505 on: September 19, 2016, 02:34:15 AM »
Very nice Willy!

You are continuing to make great progress on this little beauty.

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #506 on: September 21, 2016, 01:00:19 AM »
The valve rod glands have been made and the bolts are 12 BA so quite small and fiddly. the cross stubs are made by drilling across No56 drill and then the end of the drill is silver soldered in and then the middle part is ground away with a Dremel tool and the part is soft soldered in place. The steam chest covers need to be made next then the cylinders are finished.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #507 on: September 22, 2016, 02:06:18 AM »
I have been measuring up the valve dimensions and there seems to be a few discrepancies with the valve timing, the dimensions of the ports in the LP cylinder don't seem to correspond with the HP cylinder valve movements. any way i will have to check that out later. the nameplate has been engraved and attached with loctite. the original at Beeleigh is missing and does not have any screw holes to attach it, and the same with the engine in the Ramm brewery.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #508 on: September 22, 2016, 02:12:22 AM »
Still with you Willy and enjoying your work........ :praise2:

Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #509 on: September 23, 2016, 03:15:33 AM »
The valve shaft bearings are begun and they are cut from a piece of 1/4" thick angle. This is first milled to give square datum edges for marking out. As it is angle iron there is ample space to clamp it for drilling etc....It is Forncett model engineers day next week end and i will be there with the Bridewell and Hedley engines as well as the Beeleigh

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal