Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194090 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #480 on: August 31, 2016, 02:27:15 AM »
the cylinder caps are made, quite a strait forward turning job , the gland adjusting arrangement is quite unique using two ball ended bolts with a square thread for the nuts ,possibly so only one nut is necessary......The cap bolts are not exactly equidistantly placed and this is copied on the model.....

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #481 on: August 31, 2016, 02:39:02 AM »
I like that gland bolt set up! It would be very quick to get the gland up the rod and work on the packing without having to remove an entire bolt.... very clever those guys.

I love your work Willy, and your dedication to doing it correctly.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #482 on: August 31, 2016, 03:37:37 AM »
Do I understand correctly that the hole in the ball end fits over the post sticking out of the side of the top of the cap, and the threaded rod goes up through the T of the gland fitting? Never seen anything like that before. In the picture of your cap, there is a pin going all the way through, that will have the center cut out?  :thinking:

Very interesting build! Have you considered documenting it all in a book? Your drawings are quite detailed.

:popcorn:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #483 on: August 31, 2016, 03:58:17 AM »
Yep, that's how it fits! I've seen that a couple of times (not on a steam engine!) but the eye bolt was not free to just slip off the pin. They had a washer and cotter (split) pin holding the eye to the pin.

This set up is super easy and fast!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #484 on: August 31, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »
 In the picture of your cap, there is a pin going all the way through, that will have the center cut out?  :

:popcorn:
[/quote]

Very interesting build! Have you considered documenting it all in a book? Your drawings are quite detailed.

HI, Yes the pin was drilled across the recess and the pin inserted and soldered in place then returned to the lathe and drilled out. I have thought about writing something up for one of the magazines possibly Engineering in Miniature but that will be in the future.........Willbert

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #485 on: August 31, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »
Beautiful results Willy, I just love all your fabrication work. You layed them out in great details and thanks for all your efforts....... :praise2:

Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #486 on: September 02, 2016, 02:02:00 AM »
The piston rod gland bolts are fitted but will need cleaning up at a later date.......

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #487 on: September 02, 2016, 02:18:58 AM »
Every time I look I see more little details, really like the looks of the gland bolts. The head bolts on the seam are interesting too. Very nice work!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #488 on: September 03, 2016, 02:10:00 AM »
Have started on the steam chest. it is made from 4 pieces that will be silver soldered together, these parts are getting quite small with the valve and gland fittings ,a bit like watch making, so i hope everything will work out...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #489 on: September 04, 2016, 11:41:18 AM »
The steam chest cover is soldered together after changing some of the parts. I found some more photos of it from a sideways angle and it was different .Putting all the valve gear train together is going to be very fiddly and difficult ,but will see what happens !!

Online sco

« Reply #490 on: September 04, 2016, 12:01:49 PM »
You seem master of any challenge Willy so no doubts here.

Will you be bringing the engine to Forncett?

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #491 on: September 04, 2016, 01:59:58 PM »
You seem master of any challenge Willy so no doubts here.

Will you be bringing the engine to Forncett?

Simon.
Hi Simon, yes i will be bringing the engine to Forncett, together with the finished  Hedley and the Bridewell engines.... Will be good to see you there........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #492 on: September 05, 2016, 01:20:56 AM »
Starting on the HP steam chest cover. I think the shape dictates that the main steam valve is tapered. as i cannot see inside this casting it is all guesswork the 4 spoke wheel is the main valve and the smaller rod is connected to the governor. weather there are two parts to the valve inside i don't know but will do some more drawings, as these were done in October 2014 !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #493 on: September 07, 2016, 02:02:37 AM »
Have started on the HP steam valve, a reamer was made at 4 degrees taper and the shaft is stainless steel it will be cut to length later. at the mo it has  flats filed on it to test it. The porting has been figured out as it has to miss the valve cavity...... I did try a blowing test but the cylinders and everything have to be finished and sealed for that to work.....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #494 on: September 08, 2016, 02:01:50 AM »
The HP valve has been made...and fitted and the rear motion stantion support lug soldered in place....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal