Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193875 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #465 on: August 25, 2016, 01:51:40 PM »
Clever use of the reamer, I wouldn't have thought of that. Much longer cut than a normal end mill bit.

:popcorn:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #466 on: August 25, 2016, 09:04:03 PM »
Willy that cylinder is turning into a lot of work mate, but you look like you have it all in hand. Amazing work........ :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #467 on: August 26, 2016, 03:50:37 AM »
Willy that cylinder is turning into a lot of work mate, but you look like you have it all in hand. Amazing work........ :ThumbsUp:

Don
Hi Don ,yes it is lot of work and i hope i don't have to redo any of the parts  !! the cylinder is soft soldered and the steam jacket is carved out and silver soldered ready to mill out as per the LP cylinder assy. the next job is to join the two together exactly the right distance apart, as per the beam strap widths . They also have to be parallel in both planes so i will have to make some form of jig.....
Clever use of the reamer, I wouldn't have thought of that. Much longer cut than a normal end mill bit.
Using the reamer like that is a new idea and in use the swarf was like dust and took quite a long time to do..... some more pics..........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #468 on: August 27, 2016, 02:00:31 AM »
The HP cylinder block is made and now needs attaching to LP block this will be soft soldered all together. As the steam jackets are connected this will be quite tricky and needs a bit of thinking about.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #469 on: August 27, 2016, 02:26:12 AM »
If the issue is not melting apart any previous parts, can you go to an even-lower-temperature solder for this, like Tix jewelry solder? Any possibility of a screw fastener somewhere between the two? Though it doesnt look like it - lots of parts in that assembly. It is looking incredible - sure you will get it sorted out.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #470 on: August 27, 2016, 11:51:59 PM »
More work in progress the exhaust port from the HP cylinder feeds to the LP cylinder steam chest and i have used a stub of copper pipe to help keep the cylinders in alignment. The cylinders are then filed to meet each other with a flat to join them together. These flats will be drilled to allow the steam to go through from the LP cal to the HP cal and then into the HP steam chest. When the flats were filed I used centered  plugs to get the correct distance between them ,to match the strap centres on the beam (quite important) !! The two copper thick wires will be used to help seal the join by creating a fillet to hold the solder in place ..i think this will work......still more plugging and the steam pipe inlet to make and also a few holes to go between the cylinder steam jackets  before i take the plunge and solder them together.........
If the issue is not melting apart any previous parts, can you go to an even-lower-temperature solder for this, like Tix jewelry solder? Any possibility of a screw fastener somewhere between the two? Though it doesnt look like it - lots of parts in that assembly. It is looking incredible - sure you will get it sorted out.

Hi, The cylinder outers are silver soldered ,so i will soft solder the pair together and hope they seal ok and then use miliput to make a nice filet

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #471 on: August 28, 2016, 03:10:25 AM »
The cylinders are ready now to be soldered together. a Jig has been made to keep the cylinders aligned. the holes have been drilled to allow the steam to reach the HP cyl and the inlet boss has been made from a piece of the metal left over from the down pipes using the Rotabroach. I will solder this tomorrow and hope it be successful.............The copper loop will be inserted between the cylinders to provide a key for a fillet....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #472 on: August 29, 2016, 12:27:28 AM »
The cylinder block is now soldered together....and all the ports are still open including the jacket transfer holes, and nothing else has come apart !!.... there is still lots of cleaning up to do and i shall fill the joins with Milliput to give a nice fillet. The steam chest covers are next and the valves.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #473 on: August 29, 2016, 01:11:51 AM »
Awesome Willy the results speak for itself....... :praise2:

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #474 on: August 29, 2016, 01:26:08 AM »
Looking wonderful. Still following along, great build! 

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #475 on: August 29, 2016, 01:42:33 AM »
Hi Willy

Can you imagine the complex cores that would be required to cast what you have just fabricated here? Wow, like Don said; amazing work!

Dave

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #476 on: August 29, 2016, 02:29:32 AM »
I'm still having trouble envisioning all the ports and passages in that thing..... I understand the compound principle and the reason for the steam jacket but how they are all positioned in there, along with those removable cylinder liners, is very confusing!!   :thinking: :headscratch: :insane:

Certainly a pattern makers nightmare!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #477 on: August 29, 2016, 03:11:39 AM »
I'm still having trouble envisioning all the ports and passages in that thing..... I understand the compound principle and the reason for the steam jacket but how they are all positioned in there, along with those removable cylinder liners, is very confusing!!   :thinking: :headscratch: :insane:

Certainly a pattern makers nightmare!!

Pete

Hi Pete, here are some of the drawings i has made and also the plastic maquette i made earlier, Thanks for the comments ,I am quite pleased with it myself as well actually......there is a description with lots of photos in an earlier post at the beginning of this thread.....

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #478 on: August 29, 2016, 04:24:31 AM »
Ah Ha said the blind man! So the main steam supply goes through the jackets, of both cylinders, before it is valved into the HP cylinder. I think.....

LP jacket first, then HP jacket, then HP cylinder, then LP cylinder, then out.  What a trip!! That thing must be blazing hot when operating....

Wow. And we think we're advanced.....

Thanks very much, Willy. Not only for explaining this but for the entire project! Wonderful stuff, just wonderful.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #479 on: August 29, 2016, 02:37:15 PM »
Hi, Pete,   also there are usually drain cocks on cylinders to let the condensate out from the cold cylinders, however as they are inside the jackets that would be quite to difficult to do. So after finding this hole at the lowest point of the steam jackets ,i can sumize  that they let the steam into the jacket first and let the whole lot get hot and then once everything was at operating temperature, drain off the condensate and start the engine. This would prevent the individual cylinders filling with condensate and bursting under pressure...........some pics.....I have not been able to actually see inside this engine block so can only guess at what they are like. this has been quite an interesting project and has taken quite a lot of thought since October 2014 when i first discovered this engine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal