Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193754 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #450 on: August 15, 2016, 01:29:26 AM »
I am making the LP jacket protuberances next, i have bored out a piece of 2" brass using the Rotabroach which leaves a sizeable chunk of brass to use for something else. Only a small proportion of this tube is used however, and the pieces sawn off will be used as clamps when being held in the milling machine vice. I have used the Boxford  CUD for this as the belt has broken on the Myford, The first thing i did with the Boxford  was to change the position of the saddle handle wheel to the right hand side as per the Myford as i was getting into a muddle after being used to the myford after 40 years !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #451 on: August 15, 2016, 04:23:42 PM »
Am now machining the exhaust poet down comer part. this will take the exhaust to the condenser pipe below the cal table .the casting has two protuberances, one each side of the other bulge that is hollowed out to make room for the cylinder porting arrangement.I am having to think about how to do all this very carefully so as not to have any fresh air between the HP exhaust port connecting to the LP inlet ......I will have to solder an extra slab of brass to this part to be able to get the full curves in place..........

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #452 on: August 15, 2016, 04:28:25 PM »
Awesome Willy! I am really enjoy this cylinder fabrication. Nice work mate...... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #453 on: August 16, 2016, 02:00:15 AM »
Thanks for the comments Don , I am sort of enjoying it as well as i have all the tools and wherewithal to make this succeed with out to much difficulty......The down pipes part is milled and filed up and the cylinder base is made. I am taking this really slowly as i keep changing my mind about how to make the bits ....this will be silver soldered together as it will have to be machined when all the bits are joined together.The cylinder block is one large casting and it must have been quite a feat to get all the parts and porting to work out successfully.!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #454 on: August 16, 2016, 02:18:28 AM »
And there I was thinking that the rest of this engine was intricate... The cylinder assembly is going to be amazing. Fantastic work!

:popcorn:   :popcorn:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #455 on: August 16, 2016, 02:44:01 AM »
That cylinder is a pattern makers nightmare!! And it's huge to boot. A constant reminder of how some skills and technology has been lost....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #456 on: August 16, 2016, 09:32:45 AM »
Hi Willy,
 I'm with Chris on this one!   :popcornsmall: :popcornsmall:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #457 on: August 18, 2016, 01:30:26 AM »
The other parts have been made and they will be silver soldered together. I will have to make sure the ports line up and also ensure that there is enough clearance so they don't fill up with the solder. I have left more metal where the join will be as there is a port that joins up with the Hp cylinder. On the beeleigh engine there is quite a gap between the cylinder and the jacket casting and they have used some sort of filler to fill the gaps........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #458 on: August 19, 2016, 02:22:34 AM »
more work on the cylinders i have been milling the ports and drilling the base for the securing bolts to the cyl table. i have attached parts together with screws to keep everything aligned. The HP cylinder has been started and it will be silver soldered separately. the two cylinders will then be soft soldered together.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #459 on: August 20, 2016, 02:05:54 AM »
The LP cylinder is now silver soldered together, to make sure there was enough penetration the two parts were soldered separately then when checked the parts were all joined together. The steam jacket was milled to take the cylinder port face and it is a nice tight fit. The cylinder downcomer protrusion will now be fitted by plugging the jacket part and drilling down for a slight clearance fit. This has worked out ok and the exhaust ports are still open all the way up and into the steam chest which was checked by blowing into them. I am actually quite pleased with the outcome and now need to do the same with the HP side......Now i know this works.!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #460 on: August 20, 2016, 02:50:45 AM »
Again, wow!!  Quite a complex set of parts, you are making it look easy.   :popcorn:

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #461 on: August 20, 2016, 06:12:41 AM »
Hi Willy,
 That's looking really great! I bet it was nice to know that all the cunning planing came together!

Just taking to my Dad about this engine, as he mentioned the problems he's having pulling the steam car engine apart that he's playing with as somebody has "attacked" some of the bolts with a cold chisel which has made getting them out an issue, I remembered that you posted up about plumbers freeze that been used on the full size. Have you any info on it please, I could google but it would be nice to have some first hand knowledge of which one works.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Spamnchips

« Reply #462 on: August 20, 2016, 03:58:12 PM »
If any followers of this subject want to view the Beeleigh Mill Beam Engine, the next public open days are Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th of September between 11.00 to 1600 hours. Look here for more info. http://beeleighmill.co.uk/News.html

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #463 on: August 21, 2016, 01:13:15 AM »
Hi Willy,
 That's looking really great! I bet it was nice to know that all the cunning planing came together!

Just taking to my Dad about this engine, as he mentioned the problems he's having pulling the steam car engine apart that he's playing with as somebody has "attacked" some of the bolts with a cold chisel which has made getting them out an issue, I remembered that you posted up about plumbers freeze that been used on the full size. Have you any info on it please, I could google but it would be nice to have some first hand knowledge of which one works.

Cheers Kerrin
Hi, I was not actually there when they did this but will find out soon, cheers.....
The cylinder has been inserted in the steam jacket after the connecting ports were drilled...they will be plugged with 2BA brass screws and soldered in place with Fryolus solder paste as well as the gap around the cylinder. there does not seem to be much leakage when i blew into the exhaust ports as there is a really good fit with the steam chest . i I will be using gaskets with the cylinder and see what happens under steam !

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #464 on: August 25, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
I have started on the HP cylinder and have used a reamer as a cutting tool to cut the curved fit for the down pipe and the port chest......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal