Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194000 times)

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #435 on: August 07, 2016, 09:57:23 AM »
Thanks Willy. I may have to come up to Forncett to see this, even if you haven't got it in steam by then!
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #436 on: August 11, 2016, 02:36:41 AM »
The cylinders have been started on, this is the low pressure one that the H P hangs off. The tubes are cut out of solid bar using a Rotabroach Cutter, then bored out and the cylinder tube reamed to 7/8th". Luckily the drills and reamers are long enough to reach right through the tubes, about 3.3/4" inches. More pics......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #437 on: August 11, 2016, 02:41:12 AM »
Thanks for the messages and i hope it will be going for Forncett, and more pics

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #438 on: August 11, 2016, 09:04:38 PM »
More work on the engine........This engine is a Woolf compound with steam jacketed cylinders......The cylinders are inside the main casting and as the steam chests ate at the top of the engine there has to be two downpipes to get the steam to the bottom of the cylinders. This is done as i have shown and as there is not mushroom between the inner and outer castings there has to be the protuberances on the jacket part. The photos shows how i will do this with the various bar stock materials. I find that when i am doing the drawings i draw how i think i will  make it but once inside the WKSP and i look at the tools and stuff to hand i do it in a different way. The port face is a case in point as i was going to bore it out of one piece , but to get the accuracy needed to solder the bits together i chucked a piece of 1" bar in the four jaw and used the 25mm Rotabroach to make an accurate hole and the Cylinder was then turned down to fit this hole. The block was then milled to size..........Vis........I have been thinking inside the fox and have come up with some novel file handles which are quite ergonomically shaped to fit the hand.!!!......

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #439 on: August 12, 2016, 12:13:46 AM »
Willy I am still with my friend and enjoying your fabrication work still. I am interested in seeing this cylinder develop though....... :praise2:

Don

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #440 on: August 12, 2016, 01:33:06 AM »
Wow, I continue to be amazed and impressed!

The fabrication of the cylinder assembly is going to quite a piece of work; and you are off to a great start.

I'm still following along and enjoying watching you work.  :praise2:

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #441 on: August 12, 2016, 02:14:45 PM »
Willy I am still with my friend and enjoying your fabrication work still. I am interested in seeing this cylinder develop though....... :praise2:

Don
Hi Don and Dave, following your request, more photos of the cylinder construction......

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #442 on: August 12, 2016, 03:06:08 PM »
That is quite a complex shape to the cylinder assembly - looking great so far!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #443 on: August 12, 2016, 05:21:21 PM »
Hi Willy, thanks for the close up of the parts. Are you going to soft solder are silver solder it, I would do the later...?

Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #444 on: August 12, 2016, 09:04:18 PM »
I was going to soft solder as there is no load on the parts and i think that there will be quite a lot of filling to do to seal the parts to stop any steam escaping. Also it will be using only about 40 psi, so won't get too hot. also more pics.........
Hi Willy, thanks for the close up of the parts. Are you going to soft solder are silver solder it, I would do the later...?

Don
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:10:01 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #445 on: August 12, 2016, 11:28:09 PM »
the LP cylinder is now soldered up with soft solder, Fryolux plus tin lead solder as a filler. It was tested of leaks and seams to be ok. the next job is the steam jacket, then the HP side the holes in the side are the exhaust ports and these line up with the two outer protuberances on the steam jacket. the middle protuberance is to make room for the cylinder down comer to go.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #446 on: August 14, 2016, 02:18:49 AM »
More work on the LP steam jacket, the top and bottom bolting faces are made, however there is an extra piece at the back that holds the rear station for the motion bracket. Also there are the cavetto mouldings that are part of the detail. I have an idea of how to do this but it needs further thought...........

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #447 on: August 14, 2016, 03:43:49 AM »
Hi Wiily,
 You are making good progress. Love the photos of the orginal as the guys are working on it. Think it's been asked before but is the hope to get her back into steam or just preserve?

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #448 on: August 14, 2016, 05:10:01 AM »
It's just amazing to me that disassembly of the engine is even possible with the amount of rust visible!! And not a single gas axe in sight.

That steam jacketed cylinder is a pretty great approach to the problem of cylinder condensation. Quite advanced!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #449 on: August 14, 2016, 01:24:59 PM »
It's just amazing to me that disassembly of the engine is even possible with the amount of rust visible!! And not a single gas axe in sight.

That steam jacketed cylinder is a pretty great approach to the problem of cylinder condensation. Quite advanced!

Pete

Hi Wiily,
 You are making good progress. Love the photos of the orginal as the guys are working on it. Think it's been asked before but is the hope to get her back into steam or just preserve?

Cheers Kerrin
Yes ,they are trying to bring it back into steam and they have a full report on the actual boiler requirements in place. This is going to take some time however. They have been using plumbers freezing spray to free the seized up bolts. As all the threads are quite course they are coming undone eventually. They do say that you can always undo a Whitworth nut and bolt because of the dimensions. The threads used on the cylinder gland are actually a square thread so you only need one nut to adjust them  Vis...The nuts on the adjusting rod for the motion brackets are 16 TPI so these are very fine indeed and to model them in 1/16 scale will be challenging.....    .0039 thou !! Thanks for the interest and i am trying to figure out the easiest to way to make the LP porting........The Condensation for the cylinder jacket is catered for with a treaded hole at the back of the casting ,but no provision is made for the actual cylinders as far as i can see ......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal