Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194066 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #405 on: July 09, 2016, 02:34:44 AM »
The spokes ar now being filed to width....they are the same ,just a bit of shadow makes them look different....still working out how to make the spoke webs........

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #406 on: July 09, 2016, 04:28:31 AM »
Looking good Wille!

Lots of work so far....and way more to come! Better see if I can get  :popcorn: in bulk!

Loved the look of your model so far, as I checkin frequently one tends to forget just HOW much work you have put in to it!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #407 on: July 09, 2016, 02:05:05 PM »
Still following your outstanding fabrication work Willy and enjoying the work your doing on the flywheel. Looking great by the way........... :praise2:

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #408 on: July 10, 2016, 01:35:11 AM »
Just that bit of taper on the spokes makes a big difference in the appearance. All in the (many many) details!   :ThumbsUp:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #409 on: July 10, 2016, 10:17:08 AM »
Not commenting much Willy, just quietly following along and being mightily impressed.             Terry

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #410 on: July 10, 2016, 12:15:35 PM »
Just that bit of taper on the spokes makes a big difference in the appearance. All in the (many many) details!   :ThumbsUp:
Hi, everybody ,thanks for the comments and stuff, The tapered spokes also have the cavetto moulding detail slightly tapered so when i mill those there will have to be a slight bit of offset as well ,that is halved of course. The hub end of the spoke is  .312" and the rim end is .25" over about 2.5" so the taper is ......................... and then halved to ................The last lesson in maths i had was 50 years ago so i need to do a bit of trial and error or consult my maths friend. I have a lot of friends that are experts in their own fields so i can save my brain cells for other endeavours !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #411 on: July 14, 2016, 12:00:20 AM »
More work on the spoke web parts........ The webs for the spokes are drawn out and the dimensions sorted and reduced to 1/16th. The webs are made from 3/16 square brass stock and are milled out using an end mill and a 1/16 ball end cutters. the stock is soldered to a piece of 1/8" x1/2" brass backing piece and then screwed to a 1/4" part. This is done so the part being milled can be positioned in the vice using the vice as the reference and does not move sideways whilst being milled. the part is then desoldered after the curve on the top is filed to shape with a bit of taper on the bottom part to match the spoke taper........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #412 on: July 20, 2016, 01:57:25 AM »
The webs have all been made for the backs of the spokes... The front mouldings will be next....... am not spending much time in the WKSP as we are having a heat wave at the moment,so am spending time in the sun........

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #413 on: July 20, 2016, 02:19:48 AM »
Looking great!
 :popcorn:

And I agree about the weather, gotta take advantage of it when you can.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #414 on: July 21, 2016, 01:34:59 AM »
The front spoke webs are next to be made and this is more complicated than the rear ones with the odd shaped part on the rim. the hub parts have two circular pieces with the strait parts mitred in ...all 12 of them that have to match each other..

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #415 on: July 21, 2016, 11:54:19 PM »
so a start has been made to see how it will all fit together at the hub end.......I may make the rim end detail from boxwood or maple as this will be easy to carve out by hand as per the original wooden pattern......once it is painted up it will look ok.........

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #416 on: July 22, 2016, 12:05:15 AM »
Willy love all the detail work mate. You continue to impress us all........... :praise2:

Don

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #417 on: July 22, 2016, 07:41:13 PM »
fantastic work as always!
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #418 on: July 24, 2016, 01:02:50 AM »
I have made one of the front spoke webs and soldered it in place and made the square headed bolts, these are standard 10BA hex bolts with the heads filed square an attempt has been made with the rim end detail using my Grobert and Valorbe files but more work needs to be done with these......only five more to now..........Also found an article about going metric from 1863 in the Engineer magazine......it only took 100 years to happen ,sort of !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #419 on: July 25, 2016, 11:40:22 PM »
I have had a new attempt at the spoke end parts, I have milled out the parts as a set of six and then cut them out and filed to shape using the special files from my grobert and valorbe collection The spoke ends have an inside curve on the cavetto part of the moulding which is quite tricky to reproduce. Now i am reasonably happy with flywheel i shall start on the engine proper as i hope to get it finished for the Model engineers day at Forncet on the October meet up......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal