Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193873 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #360 on: June 15, 2016, 06:09:43 AM »
That gauge is nothing short of brilliant!! A center square with an off-setting leg built in! How many time I could have used such a device........

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #361 on: June 15, 2016, 01:09:07 PM »
here are some photos of the hub and flywheel arrangement, the spokes are separate to the hub and outer so it will be interesting to get everything to fit and run true.......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #362 on: June 15, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »
That gauge is nothing short of brilliant!! A center square with an off-setting leg built in! How many time I could have used such a device........

Pete
Hi Pete, er um yes er um I have finally got round to making this myself after 40 years of procrastination.......it is not copywrite or patented so please feel free to make one yourself !!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #363 on: June 16, 2016, 02:55:16 AM »
More work on the flywheel hub . The two sides have been turned up and will be attached to the central part with a tube inserted in them. this tube will have a slot cut in it that will carry the keyway for the crankshaft.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #364 on: June 16, 2016, 03:00:03 AM »
Gettin' better every week! And thanks for the additional information on the spoke gage.  :cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #365 on: June 16, 2016, 03:00:30 AM »
That hub is great. On the original was it one cast piece?

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #366 on: June 16, 2016, 03:16:09 AM »
That hub is great. On the original was it one cast piece?
Hi, yes it is cast as one piece including some webs on the back that help support the bolts that hold the spokes in place. these will be soldered in place later.........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #367 on: June 18, 2016, 01:03:29 AM »
Have started on the spokes now the hub is finished with the keyway insert. There is quite a lot of work now to do all the mouldings and get them all the same.......the holes are tapped 10BA and will be fitted with square headed nuts and bolts.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #368 on: June 18, 2016, 01:22:09 AM »
The moldings on the spokes add more nice detail to this engine; the designers and pattern makers didn't hold back on this one did they, should keep you busy for a while? I'm looking forward to seeing more of the flywheel construction.

Dave 

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #369 on: June 20, 2016, 02:17:44 AM »
the spokes have been fitted to the hub and the rear webs have been started.The round bolting parts will be bolted on with rusty bolts and then with the web parts, soldered in place, and once they are attached they will be filed to shape......Using the rusty bolts will mean they can be removed easily after the soldering.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #370 on: June 20, 2016, 02:46:16 AM »
Great looking webs, I like the style they used. Can't wait to see the finished engine.   :popcorn:

Interesting technique with the rusty bolts. Wonder if you could get a government grant to study which type bolt, which garden to bury in for how long, etc!  :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #371 on: June 20, 2016, 03:21:55 AM »
Great looking webs, I like the style they used. Can't wait to see the finished engine.   :popcorn:

Interesting technique with the rusty bolts. Wonder if you could get a government grant to study which type bolt, which garden to bury in for how long, etc!  :Lol:
Hi , if we are still in the EU after Thursday i may apply for a grant from Europe !!!!

Um, ignorant question, more time recently outside than watching the news: what happens Thursday? You guys joining South America?!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #372 on: June 20, 2016, 02:40:22 PM »
Big doings! Makes you want to go back to the shop and build something real!

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #373 on: June 20, 2016, 03:30:37 PM »
Big doings! Makes you want to go back to the shop and build something real!

Doesn't it just ...  ::)

The electorate is supposed to make an objective decision based on lies, half-truths, threats, promises etc. from a bunch of self-serving, nepotism-infested grasping bunch of incompetent charlatans in one camp or a polar opposite set of lies, half-truths, threats, promises etc. from a bunch of self-serving, nepotism-infested grasping bunch of incompetent charlatans in the other camp.
Nice to be offered the choice though.  :praise2:

This South America idea seems to have some merit ...  :ThumbsUp:  I think we should go for it ... Rum any cheaper there I wonder ??

Dave

Apologies for being political, off topic, ranting etc.  Off to continue my sulk 'cos my bits haven't arrived from R.S.  :'(

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:38:53 PM by Bluechip »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #374 on: June 20, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »
 :offtopic:

Guys lets stick to discussing making our models rather than the political challenges of the world. Thanks

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal