Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194077 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #330 on: May 17, 2016, 03:43:14 AM »
The engineers of that era were, especially by 1890, classically trained and were versed in classical art and architecture.
It was exhibited in everything they designed and built from major engineering works to houses. The era produced some
of the most wonderfully artistic work since the Greeks.

The Arts and Crafts movement was a reaction to that ornate display and by 1910 the era was one foot in the grave.

I guess that after the Great War the focus was more on quantity than ornate decoration... too bad.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #331 on: May 18, 2016, 11:26:06 PM »
more on the crank the 3 parts cut out and nut and bolted together to solder. The rear part is actually tapered but to keep it in position when soldering ,it is extended all the way along and bolted with the front part. This will be filed down afterwards,......Also the Two hole filing rest has appeared in the Model Engineers Workshop Magazine. this was submitted about 3 years ago !! so things do get published eventually........Also can anyone identify this piece of metal....it is very heavy about 3/4 " wide and 1/8 deep with lots of holes drilled in it........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #332 on: May 21, 2016, 02:43:46 PM »
The crank is now in position with the rear web filed off. I am now drawing up the sweep rod/con rod and figuring out out to make it from bar stock of course......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #333 on: May 25, 2016, 01:39:05 AM »
I have started on the sweep rod and after measuring the beam and crank centres there was a difference of about 4" from the Beeleigh mill engine......only about 3% so not too bad. I have used a square piece to start off with as it is easier to mark out and machine. The middle webs will be made separately and soldered in place. the top bearing housings will be made from steel that will be polished whilst the bottom and middle part will be painted. I am not too sure about how the brasses are made as the straps are not open at the ends so they cannot be slid in.  I may have to round off the inside parts so the can be inserted sideways, then twisted 90 degrees to line up. This will leave the brasses with not much metal inside.  any ideas will be helpful ...

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #334 on: May 25, 2016, 02:18:20 AM »
Willy great details mate and I do enjoy seeing your drawings ............  :cheers:

8) Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #335 on: May 26, 2016, 01:22:21 AM »
a bit more work on the sweep rod and seeing how it will fit with the rest of the engine and a few more adjustments still need to be done

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #336 on: May 26, 2016, 01:38:55 AM »
Willy great details mate and I do enjoy seeing your drawings ............  :cheers:

Yes! What Don said. I also enjoy seeing the pics of the original.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #337 on: May 26, 2016, 02:01:26 AM »

Yes! What Don said. I also enjoy seeing the pics of the original.  :ThumbsUp:
Hi, I do have about 700 photos now, but still need more !!!!! but as it is such a confined building, plus the wooden walkways it is quite difficult to get a full on frontal pic......I am actually quite enjoying this build now as it is slowly coming together.....and the more bits that get done the less there is. The engine will be tackled soon and this will be the greatest challenge, however once in the workshop everything seems to happen !! A mirror is quite useful for some of the pics as well. I do look quite happy in one of the pics...but then who wouldn't given the chance of getting close up to an 1830's engine and having totally free access to all ares without any supervision !!..Thanks for all the comments and encouragement as well.......

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #338 on: May 26, 2016, 02:09:37 AM »
I do look quite happy in one of the pics...but then who wouldn't given the chance of getting close up to an 1830's engine and having totally free access to all ares without any supervision !!

Indeed!  :ThumbsUp:

Nearly two hundred years! It's fantastic.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #339 on: May 27, 2016, 12:08:42 AM »
I have worked out how to assemble the bottom sweep rod parts and have made a model to test it out........The slot is first cut out making sure there is enough room to insert the bearings from a sideways position . a small amount is removed in a curve to allow the bearings to swivel into position. a block , white, is then inserted to wedge the bearings together and the top plate bolted on. there is a bolt at the bottom to take up any slack. .........easy really......

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #340 on: May 27, 2016, 01:27:28 AM »
Clever!

.........easy really......
Everything is easy once you figure it out! Time travel took a while...  :Lol:

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #341 on: May 28, 2016, 08:21:25 PM »
Elegant solution!
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #342 on: June 02, 2016, 02:16:04 PM »
Am now back at work after Strumpetshaw steam museum gathering.........Have made the bearings and keep plates for the bottom sweep rod bearings. I drilled the holes in the top keep plate first then glued it in position on the sweep rod to get the alignment correct to drill through the inside block. I left the glued plate in position to file it to thickness as well.......the securing bolts are 16BA !!.....I have also made a start on the rod webs.....they are cut out of brass leaving dowels in the width to insert in holes drilled in the rod prior to soft soldering.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #343 on: June 02, 2016, 02:58:04 PM »
Nice!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #344 on: June 02, 2016, 07:15:20 PM »
Very intuitive Willy............. :ThumbsUp:

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal