Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194118 times)

Offline Bertie_Bassett

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #315 on: May 05, 2016, 09:17:16 AM »
ejectors are quite simple once you've got your head around them. there is quite a few still working in the Anglian area, not as old as the one you've found but still a fair age
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #316 on: May 05, 2016, 10:36:37 PM »
the 2 beams. together thanks 2  Clare

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #317 on: May 06, 2016, 01:39:09 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #318 on: May 06, 2016, 12:01:10 PM »
Here is a pic of the engine with a scale Hepplewhite contemporary chair to give an idea of scale........also for the denizens of Norridge and its environs, Class Olsen in Chapel field is closing down on June 5th and everything is 40% off at the moment..........

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #319 on: May 06, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
looks like things are coming together very well indeed!
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #320 on: May 10, 2016, 11:55:25 PM »
a bit more on the beam............i have made a clamping jig to drill the end holes square, the next job is the bolting stubs for the motion hangers....Also i was in this cafe with a tips bowl, i wondered how much to put in and decided it was a matter of a pinion........1

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #321 on: May 11, 2016, 12:37:57 AM »
Nice work on the beam!

Also nice pun!   :Lol:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #322 on: May 13, 2016, 03:22:45 PM »
am now thinking about the beam bearing stubs ,On this engine and the similar Wandsworth example the stub shafts seem to have covers on the motion ends but not on the sweep rod ends. The bolts holding on the covers are very small indeed and perhaps these covers were made to make assembly a bit easier. The other parts of the motion do keep the hangers in place however so perhaps these small bolts are enough to keep things ok.......

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #323 on: May 13, 2016, 07:31:59 PM »
Those covers are interesting. Looks like one side has square stubs sticking out, the other side is sunk in on all of them. Are they actually covers, or is that just the ends of the axles, with remnants of what was used to hold in a lathe for turning them, maybe? If covers, wouldnt both sides be the same?

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #324 on: May 14, 2016, 01:36:00 AM »
I have started on the motion work ,I have made the mock up hangers to see how they go together. the bottom holes are for the parallel motion strap and the other holes are there to make the parallel motion work properly........on the high pressure piston and air/waterpump rods. this is worked out by a strait line from the outer piston rod to the centre of the beam bearing. this is why the motion work looks so complicated. With only one cylinder the cylinder rod will rise and fall vertically but with 2 cylinders and the air pump the geometry is totally different, but easy to work out. On this engine they did not quite draw the parts correctly so to allow the air pump to have the clearance to work they had to chip away some of the beam !!!This can be seen in one of the pics, there is another pic of an engine where the beam has been modified to take this into account.[quote
Those covers are interesting. Looks like one side has square stubs sticking out, the other side is sunk in on all of them. Are they actually covers, or is that just the ends of the axles, with remnants of what was used to hold in a lathe for turning them, maybe? If covers, wouldnt both sides be the same?
 Hi, Crueby, as i cannot take any bits off i will have to assume they are separate covers, the sweep rod shaft seems to have very little "meat" on it to be a separate cover.......we shall see.....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #325 on: May 14, 2016, 01:54:13 AM »
Nice to see that they made simaler clearance goofs on the real engines tbat we do on the models sometimes! Guess that they did not make the clear plastic mockups like you have.

Great progress!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #326 on: May 14, 2016, 02:21:24 AM »
Nice to see that they made simaler clearance goofs on the real engines tbat we do on the models sometimes! Guess that they did not make the clear plastic mockups like you have.

Great progress!
Just found this pic of the Wentworth engine with the same beam alteration but in a much tidier fashion........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #327 on: May 17, 2016, 12:29:02 AM »
i have started on the crank. It is made from 3 pieces of 1/8" steel plate silver soldered together. I have made filling buttons to file the round profiles to

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #328 on: May 17, 2016, 01:20:58 AM »
Wow - even the crank web is ornate! Is the original a cast piece? Seems like it must be. Some back room somewhere had some great wooden masters for all these parts - if only we could find it!

:popcorn:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #329 on: May 17, 2016, 01:34:07 AM »
Wow - even the crank web is ornate!

Yeah. The early machines were works of art. Particularly, in my mind, the UK.
Must have been the bean counters, nay, stockholders, that put an end to that.
Sad.

I say the UK in today's thinking. You all know what I mean.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal