Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193943 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2016, 03:20:22 AM »
How appropriate! The can on the right is smaller.

Seriously though...happy for the pic. Looking good.
At some point you'll need a pic of the real thing behind the model. That would really tell the tale of the work you're doing.

:ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2016, 01:12:59 PM »
How appropriate! The can on the right is smaller.

Seriously though...happy for the pic. Looking good.
At some point you'll need a pic of the real thing behind the model. That would really tell the tale of the work you're doing.

:ThumbsUp:
Hi, Zee,.....here are some pics of the engine, some historic and some more recent, as they are restoring it they have built some wooden superstructure around it, and as it is in quite a small space it is quite difficult to get a photo of the whole engine........they flywheel is 15 feet diameter and actually protrudes into the wall on the far left !!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2016, 03:08:56 PM »
Nice. Thanks. I don't think I'd seen the one of the building.
"To work. To work."

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2016, 09:55:15 PM »
Very nice Willy. Keep at it. It's great.
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #304 on: April 30, 2016, 01:05:07 AM »
Nice. Thanks. I don't think I'd seen the one of the building.
  hi Carl this is the "front" of the building and everything has to go in and out of the very narrow doors. there is also the Elephant boiler that is in quite good condition insofar that it is complete with all the fittings. This boiler will not be steamed however and the plans for a new boiler system has been drawn up.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #305 on: April 30, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
Oh Dear , calamity, measure twice cut once......!! actually ..measure thrice ,look at thrice, calculate thrice.....etc etc etc.....After looking at the new photos from Beeleigh using the wooden non reflecting ruler i thought some of the bosses were not in the correct place......!!! and yes one of them is ,by about 1/10" so i am going to move it. Luckily i noticed it before i assembled the feathers on the rear of the beam so it will not be too difficult to remelt the solder and reposition them........
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:10:06 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #306 on: May 02, 2016, 12:32:44 AM »
the beam boss has been removed and the hole drilled in the correct place.......also went to the local old pump station at Trowse and after clearing away the ivy found this window with the large air ejector inside. I think this is a large tank full of air ,and when the engines pump the sewerage into it through a valve the air compresses slightly and sends the effluent on its was to Wittllingham sewerage works several miles away.....vis....this is the only part of the 1872 system that is still there !!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #307 on: May 02, 2016, 02:20:10 AM »
That is pretty cool.
Discovery is fun.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #308 on: May 02, 2016, 02:21:35 AM »
Glad you caught the mistake before too much of the rest was done. Going to be a great model!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #309 on: May 03, 2016, 02:32:45 AM »
The beam has now been changed to the correct boss positions and now just needs the shafts and filling to merge all the contours together.....i have been thinking about the beam since 2 October 2014 !!! when i first visited Beeleigh mill, and it is a bit of a relief now it is finished after worrying about all those contours.

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #310 on: May 03, 2016, 08:31:38 PM »
"i have been thinking about the beam since 2 October 2014"

Those sleepless nights have paid off!
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #311 on: May 04, 2016, 02:28:23 AM »
Impressive work Willy!

Looking forward to more.
Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #312 on: May 04, 2016, 08:30:54 PM »
"i have been thinking about the beam since 2 October 2014"

Those sleepless nights have paid off!
    Actually, John, the way i made it is possibly the same way they built up the wooden  pattern !!  Am struggling with chronic toothache aT THE MOMENT SO AM OUT OF ACTION FOR A WHILE.......And Dave... impressive depends on how close you look at the details !! also i am going to investigate  solder paste. I have a large quantity of solar and flux that i am using up ,but paste will be a lot cleaner in use so i am told.......also i would go about the construction in a different way if i make another........

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #313 on: May 04, 2016, 09:36:59 PM »
ahh, good old ejector pumps. got to be the only pump still made that sounds like a steam engine!

an ingenious design but I never really got on with them, too noisy and overly complicated.

the ones iv worked on looked like a large compressor tank but actually had a wall in the middle separating it into 2 tanks, one for vacuum and the other for compression. you suck up the sewage into the vacuum chamber whilst filling the compression chamber then when both are full you dump the compressed gasses back into the vacuum tank forcing the sewage back out and up the line.

we were always getting blockages in to non return valves thus sending the sewage back into the well! either that or the float valves would fall off and the compressor would suck up liquids. also very very prone to fatting up as they worked so slowly and in pulses.

anyways back to your fantastic work on the beam -  looking great as usual. ill have to pop into the museum at some point, drove past it last week but didn't have the time.
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #314 on: May 05, 2016, 01:08:53 AM »
ahh, good old ejector pumps. got to be the only pump still made that sounds like a steam engine!

an ingenious design but I never really got on with them, too noisy and overly complicated.

the ones iv worked on looked like a large compressor tank but actually had a wall in the middle separating it into 2 tanks, one for vacuum and the other for compression. you suck up the sewage into the vacuum chamber whilst filling the compression chamber then when both are full you dump the compressed gasses back into the vacuum tank forcing the sewage back out and up the line.

we were always getting blockages in to non return valves thus sending the sewage back into the well! either that or the float valves would fall off and the compressor would suck up liquids. also very very prone to fatting up as they worked so slowly and in pulses.

Hi Bertie, thanks for the info i shall have to look into this a bit more to try and understand exactly how it works with this set up. The Beeleigh engine in Maldon is open for the working team on Tuesdays after 1,30 pm , and the Beeleigh Mill Restoration Group   have a website on the web for other info. thanks for the info and have more pis of the Trowse engine showing the ground plans and other aspects  of the engine. These drawings are held in the County Hall archive section.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal