Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193774 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #210 on: March 09, 2016, 02:51:05 AM »
Looking good - glad you are feeling better!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2016, 12:35:26 AM »
the governor is put together and installed but needs quite a bit of tidying up, that will have to wait as i need to proceed with the other bits and pieces

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2016, 12:54:44 AM »
Looking good Willy and glad your feeling better mate. Governor looks great....... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #213 on: March 11, 2016, 03:15:23 PM »
Have now started on the main bearings, fairly standard apart from the brasses being 0ctangular and without flanges. There is possibly a part of the casting that prevents them moving sideways but can't see anything. The steel is marked out and the holes drilled for the bolting curved parts. The curves at the bottom are drilled out and to stop the drill bit wandering the holes are temporarily filled with a turned piece of steel which is removed afterwards.Photos of the bearing and an old one of the top bass removed.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #214 on: March 11, 2016, 04:01:03 PM »
Interesting, never seen hex bearings before, still watching your build with great interest!

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #215 on: March 11, 2016, 08:45:59 PM »
"There is possibly a part of the casting that prevents them moving sideways but can't see anything."

Looks to me like the brasses fit over a reduced diameter of the shaft so there is a shoulder on the shaft either side of the brass. Am I mistaken? Would the whole shaft/crank/flywheel tend to move from side to side? Would the clamping force of the cap be enough to hold the brass and hence the shaft etc? Interesting stuff. Thanks Willy.
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2016, 08:25:53 PM »
"There is possibly a part of the casting that prevents them moving sideways but can't see anything."

Hi John , Yes there is a reduced diameter on the shaft, I shall be there again on the 19th Aprill so will look closer for any lugs that might engage with the main casting. Most if this engine is seized solid, but they are restoring it slowly, .....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »
Nice to hear they are working on restoring it - hardly anything like that has survived in the US.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #218 on: March 13, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »
Continuing with the bearing blocks .......the waste is sawn away and the blocks filed to shape, the round rod is inserted and the top ends have grooves in them to hold them position. I normally silver solder these parts but this time i am using soft solder to see how that works. After they are soldered i flick off the excess  solder onto the floor, holding they parts with a pair of pliers. the Round parts are predrilled in the lathe for the bolts before soldering.The next job is to make the octagonal brasses and the holes to locate them........The top caps are sawn off and the soft solder seems to be quite strong enough to hold everything in place so far. The parts need to be filed to proper shape an also profiled as per originals.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:22:39 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #219 on: March 13, 2016, 04:08:40 PM »
Willy, I'm a pretty clever guy when it comes to fabricating things but I have to say that while watching you build this engine
I have learned some really neat and new tricks when it comes to making parts look like their full-size prototypes. I congratulate
you on your inventiveness!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #220 on: March 15, 2016, 03:34:23 AM »
The octagonal bearing is filed with the 2 hole filing rest using the 60 tooth bull wheel in the Myford headstock, however, 60 divided by 8 is 7.5............................. so the ident for the bull wheel is filed at 90 degrees to straddle the gear teeth as well as sitting between them. This enables 120 positions to be used............ The bearing brass is turned with a taper to enable the octagonal slot in the Bearing block to be filed out. The slot is not that close fitting however so i will use soft solder as a caulking medium........Also a pic of me stuck in the motion work.                   
Willy, I'm a pretty clever guy when it comes to fabricating things but I have to say that while watching you build this engine
I have learned some really neat and new tricks when it comes to making parts look like their full-size prototypes. I congratulate
you on your inventiveness!!

Pete

Thanks for the comment, however i am just copying the original and using bar stock rather than wood as would have been done to make these " castings" as per the original

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #221 on: March 18, 2016, 12:37:19 AM »
more pics and work on the other bearing block. The bottom bearing half is held in position with an 8BA countersunk screw and the top curves are milled out in the lathe.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #222 on: March 23, 2016, 08:07:18 PM »
back at work after doing my back in ..planting asparagus......now i have to wait 3 years for them to be harvestable..........The beam bearings are made next ,T he foot is quite wide to fit on top of the A frame, so the base and upright parts are made in two operations . The round bolting flanges are drilled in brass stock and to keep the curved detail it is made as normal bearings. After the round parts are soldered in, the base is sawn off and filed as close to the curved details as possible. the base is drilled and attached with an 8BA screw to the upright part and soldered in place. The bar stock that is in the vice is almost sawn off to reduce the heat transfer into the vice. The next gob is to file to length and mill out the top curved details. The beam shaft actually covers completely the actually bearing so i cannot see if there is a separate hexagonal block. so it may be just steel onto cast iron. As i have made this item in brass i shall just drill and ream them.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #223 on: March 23, 2016, 08:25:40 PM »
Nice!

Interesting that the joint at the bearing on the original is not at the widest spot on the shaft, which is how I assumed they always were done. Any idea why? Possible that it has worn downwards over the years and they shortened the cap? Though that would change the rod lengths below too...?

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #224 on: March 23, 2016, 09:28:26 PM »
..planting asparagus......now i have to wait 3 years for them to be harvestable..

I'm going to have to keep T away from this thread. She loves asparagus...me not so much.

Following along Willy.  :popcorn: It's a cool thread.

[EDIT: had the wrong name. Sorry about that.]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:18:51 PM by zeeprogrammer »
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal