Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193933 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2016, 11:41:03 PM »
I have now attacher the blanks for the side apertures, first i drilled the retaining holes fixed them with screws and then adjusted the shapes to fit the round parts more accurately, then put on a slight taper. The A frame is now almost solder ready, I shall tin the parts first and may make a suitable jig to hold the parts firmly in place although the lugs seem to be doing a good job.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2016, 11:28:14 PM »
I have been making the stand/base/ hotwell/coldwell/Flywheel aperture today This is to contain the huge Flywheel and the water to operate the condenser and air/water pump. This is going to be quite a large and heavy engine when finished. I have also been investigating the manufacture of the name plate for the condenser control lever decal, if made to 1/16 scale the large letters will be  .6 mm high about the limit of the engravers capabilities !!,still it has to be done to complete the engine. Also where are all the previously made models of this type of engine. I have looked on the web for them but to no avail. If anyone knows of any models like this ,please let me know.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2016, 01:22:48 AM »
I have now made a jig to solder the a frames together, it may look a bit over engineered but it will work and this is what we do ! i will have to remove the paint off the back of the main brass bit first though.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2016, 01:52:51 AM »
All I can say is you must have the patience of Job!!  But then again, such beautiful renditions of these old engines doesn't' come easy. Its a pleasure to see how you do it all and the amazing results. I haven't commented a lot but are still watching faithfully.

Bill

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2016, 02:11:04 AM »
All I can say is you must have the patience of Job!!  But then again, such beautiful renditions of these old engines doesn't' come easy. Its a pleasure to see how you do it all and the amazing results. I haven't commented a lot but are still watching faithfully.

Bill
Hi, Bill, Having decided to make a model of this engine i have to actually do it !!, I knew it would be a challenge but did not realise exactly how it would pan out. I am just as amazed and surprised at what i am achieving as everybody else !!. We are all doing really good things and i feel really lucky to have the opportunity to see this project through and to share it with other like minded people.  :) :ThumbsUp:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2016, 02:15:33 AM »
Hi Willy, are you going to soft solder these parts? Quiet a setup you made there.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2016, 02:19:39 AM »
I assume the rubber bands will get swapped for twisted wire before heat is applied?

Clever setup.  Would make a great "what is it" photo without the frame inside it. Would look like a mini iron maiden or something.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2016, 02:28:59 AM »
Yes, Don, they will all be soft soldered as the trial set worked ok.I will have to tin all the pieces first though and try to not lose any bits or get them in the wrong places. there is no load on most of the finished A frames and most of the detail is cosmetic. I am really looking forward to getting this all cut out to see how it looks actually !!. The elastic bands were just used to hold the parts together while adjusting the retaining screws.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2016, 06:41:07 PM »
I assume the rubber bands will get swapped for twisted wire before heat is applied?

Clever setup.  Would make a great "what is it" photo without the frame inside it. Would look like a mini iron maiden or something.
tenuous links,  A frame  Iron maiden ,A team, Face plate. etc etc etc  add more at will !!!!!!!! I wonder how long it will be before that smile disappears !!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2016, 07:22:03 PM »
 :lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2016, 07:54:10 PM »
 :o

:ROFL:

Perfect!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2016, 09:28:55 PM »
And thus always to Ken dolls.

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2016, 09:29:39 PM »
Well done, that man! 

And the model is looking good too!

Cheers, Joe

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2016, 02:31:08 AM »
The A frame is now soldered all together after first tining the main part. the other parts are screwed on after smearing with flux. The Iron maiden behaved herself admirably and all went as planned !! All the orifices  now have to be cut out and also the other side made.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2016, 05:21:09 AM »
Hi Willy it is impressive. I like your fabrication work.
Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal