Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194149 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2015, 12:39:19 AM »
more details of cyl table fabrication and a pic of an elevated early compound engine, It has been suggested that this is to avoid damage by flooding but i don't think so. i have now modified construction by screwing the parts together after tinning and then  sweating the parts together.I have a german made vice that can swivel in all directions to enable parts to be held horizontal when filing, it avoids kneeling on the floor !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2015, 03:21:43 AM »
new work on the cylinder base. As the side piece has the bottom lugs protruding the part is screwed to a piece of SRBP before sawing off the waste.this is to keep the plate level.  Just one more panel to finish now before attracting permanently to the top.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2015, 10:47:01 PM »
the sides are being worked on and all of them have been soldered together. now the spaces have to be filed out. also my modified pliers to hold these small parts when drilling

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2015, 02:14:24 AM »
the cylinder progresses. the sides will be screwed to the top . when tapping the holes into the top a hole is drilled adjacent to it to prevent tap breakage, it will also lighten the engine by small increments. The screws holding the sides in place will be countersunk and the final parts of the moulding  glued on top of them.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:42:48 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2015, 02:28:44 AM »
I've been watching...and looking forward to more.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2015, 12:52:27 AM »
Have now started on the A frames, after a year of looking studying drawing and measuring........I have used some up cycled brass of the correct gauge and have sawn them out leaving the lugs to attach to the side pieces for soldering. I now have to prepare all the webbed parts for the cut outs about 20 of them for the front and back , so ,lots of work on the lathe and bench
I've been watching...and looking forward to more.
Hi Carl, there is lots more still to come, about a years worth possibly!! However it is mostly finished in my brain !!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2015, 12:56:27 AM »
Willy your making some very interestingf headway. Still with you mate and enjoying it.

Don

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2015, 01:07:33 AM »
Nice progress, I think getting it finished in your brain is about 90% of the job.  :lolb:

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2016, 02:26:46 AM »
The side cut outs are prepared. The parts are marked out and sawn ,then filed to fit accurately then the other 3 are made from them. the circular parts are next.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2016, 11:10:36 PM »
The circular parts are now made......there are two of them each size so two blanks were cut out square and soft soldered to a thin steel backing plate. This was attached to the faceplate and a central hole drilled to align the part on the A frame and then turned to size, desoldered and temp attached. The top cut out has also been made and bolted in place. The triangular parts now need to be adjusted to follow the contours of the central cavities.the other pair of circular parts will be made the same way. the parts are also held in a thin piece vice from a car boot sale to clean off the verdigris prior to soldering.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:22:10 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2016, 03:21:27 AM »
more work done, the bottom circular openings are turned up and i have turned an adjacent slot this time to mark out how much to remove when all the holes are cut out. as these are made in pairs i can only do this with the outermost part. I keep changing how i do things at the moment!!. the bottom stretcher is made with the cut outs for the tabs and one of the side pieces is started. the bottom part of the side piece is perpendicular for about 3/8" and to make this easier to bend at this quite tight angle i have filed away some of the inside with a small round file. So, only the other side and the top part that holds the main beam bearings now..

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2016, 11:45:50 AM »
Watching, as always, love the intriguing shots of hopelessly rusted bits of of old machinery, and seeing how you make them. Will you replicate the rust? Happy new year, Hugh.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2016, 02:25:20 AM »
I have made the bottom bolting to the base part that runs the full width of the A frames. Also the side parts are attached to the sides using the tabs to align them at the correct angle etc, also some views of the vice that swivels in all directions. this is the first one i have that really works and is really stable in use. The bottom of the A frames have been partly cut away to make it easier to remove once everything is soldered together.
Watching, as always, love the intriguing shots of hopelessly rusted bits of of old machinery, and seeing how you make them. Will you replicate the rust? Happy new year, Hugh.
Hi Hugh, "hopelessly Rusty" !! I think the restoration team call it "Patina" !! It has been open to the weather though since 1875 !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2016, 02:36:17 AM »
The top part of the A frames are made, these are milled in one piece together and then sawn apart later, this will ensure that they are the same.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2016, 01:36:40 AM »
The top part is now remade as the first one is about 1/16th  too small and won't quite fit properly. The underneath is also milled out, The top part has a slot cut in it to receive the tabs left on the side members. There is more fitting to be done to get more of a fit to solder.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal