Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 193899 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2015, 01:04:24 AM »
the next base cut out is done, The large hole is made to accommodate the hacksaw and after chain drilling the corners are filed square to get the saw into the best position to cut out the piece. the next job is to file it square, quite a long and arduous procedure........

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2015, 01:19:07 AM »
Willy good to see you making head way. Looks like you have a lot of work cut out for you judging from your start on the base. Still with you mate.......... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2015, 02:05:46 AM »
Willy good to see you making head way. Looks like you have a lot of work cut out for you judging from your start on the base. Still with you mate.......... :ThumbsUp:

Don
Yes i think i am cut out for this sort of activity......my thumb certainly thinks so.!! Another hole filed up and the next one drilled and sawn out.!!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2015, 12:08:32 PM »
Ouch! How thick is that baseplate? Hugh.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2015, 02:53:40 AM »
The base has its holes now cut out, quite a lot of hard work......
Ouch! How thick is that baseplate? Hugh.
The base is 1/2" plate however it will milled down to .4375 " There will be other local thinning of the top and the circular part will be about .1" thick with some webs.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2015, 11:33:07 PM »
still trying to sort out the measurements. I have made a large full size drawing on my floor to see how accurate the dimensions are and to tweet them slightly to make the parts fit.The full size engine is about 70 miles away so i don't get there very often. Also a photo of the condenser control plate that has ERECTEED spelt with two e's!! It actually says  ERECTED for 12 HORSEPOWER.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2015, 01:59:58 AM »
more 'drawing'

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2015, 01:05:26 AM »
i have now been experimenting with the webs on the A frame cut outs . as this is a bar stock engine i will not be using castings yet so have to simulate the casting features. The round parts are turned and the web thickness and width are turned up before parting off. a central hole is drilled in both parts and then bolted to the main plate in the correct position before soldering on. the parts are then chain drilled and sawn out then filed up. When i do the proper ones i will turn a slight taper to be like the "draft" of a regular casting........Oh and cabbage white caterpillars on the winter solstice !!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »
Hi Willy,
 They are looking good, still quietly following along.
Don't you just love cabbage white caterpillars..... :rant: :rant:...SWMBO uses derist dust ( think that's how its spelled) seems to slow them up a bit...failing that picking them off the plant & a foot fixes them!! Or chooks a pretty good....but they do a bit of damage in there own right....

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2015, 01:42:33 AM »
The cylinder entablature is made out of brass and all the basic parts are cut out and ready to be assembled. Before that the curved cut out parts will be made and soldered in place first................

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2015, 01:54:09 AM »
Clever way to do the 'casting' look - watching along with great interest here too!

:popcorn:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2015, 01:59:33 AM »
Cool Willy, are you planning to soft solder or silver solder?

8)
Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2015, 02:54:12 AM »
Cool Willy, are you planning to soft solder or silver solder?

8)
Don
The curved hole shapes will be silver soldered and the final putting together will be soft soldered with the odd rivet. the curved webs need to be drilled and filed to produce the contours, so need to be quite strong, and as there is quite a lot of surface area with the rest of the construction, this will be quite strong enough using soft solder.........i hope......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2015, 03:41:47 AM »
More work on the cylinder table. The three top parts are soft soldered together, after first tinning the parts and then riveting them together. The side plates are tackled next with the web parts cut out and screwed and riveted together. these parts are also soft soldered together and i will screw all the sides plates together with the top plate. the web features are cut out on the band saw and then filed up. this was a trial part but will be put on the back now know how to do it !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2015, 04:19:07 PM »
The side view of the cyl table, note the chipped away casting webs on the right hand side to accommodate the HP cylinder valve rod linkage !! This will be faithfully reproduced on the model.......Perhaps the table pattern was used on single cylinder engines initially.  They could have saved a lot of work and metal if the cylinders were placed on the base.......The A frames could have been shorter, as well as the sweep rod ?. So, The extra metal required to make this engine this large seems quite wasteful considering how expensive all the processes needed to make these engines were, including the pattern making and transport costs etc etc etc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal