Author Topic: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.  (Read 194111 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Beeleigh Mill, Woolf compound engine.Maldon, Essex.
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2015, 01:02:24 PM »
Willy I will be following alone on another one of your great model engineering projects. I am pulling up a chair for the ride.

:cheers:

Don
Thanks for the post, and i hope i don't disappoint anybody......This will be quite a lengthy project i fear....I have not seen many models of this type of engine about and i don't think there have been any kits or plans produced for an engine such as this with the Woolf compound and condenser and pump arrangement. Incedentely here in  norfolk at a place called Lound there are a pair of Easton and Anderson  grasshopper engines that are on my list to make !!They have been taken out of commision with the steam pipes removed.
Willbert.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 01:10:10 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »
I doubt I'll be disappointed, but I will be watching. A compound! Hugh.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2015, 12:04:21 AM »
this is the actual size the engine will be at 1/16 scale............

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2015, 01:20:26 AM »
Hi Willy

Good to see this project moving along again; I had to go back and and do a quick refresher to remember where you left off.
It will be enjoyable watching this one come together.

Dave

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2015, 08:41:31 PM »
Hi Willy. Great to see this one on the go. I loved your engine at Forncett and seeing the finishing touches coming along since then. This is going to be another interesting build. Thanks for posting.
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2015, 02:19:13 AM »
the perspex base is made and the standards are drawn out and glued to 2 pieces of perspex ready to cut out. Doing this this way enables one to see how to tackle the process when using steel for the A frames proper. Also Johnb.....this is a very interesting project for me as well as i am learning so much about how these engines were made and how they work !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2015, 01:51:59 AM »
The "A" frame stations are made and are awaiting the top bearing and side pieces also the governor stretchers need to be drawn up and made.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2015, 01:50:28 AM »
the front A frame is made ,all glued together so is a bit flimsy !!............

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »
Once again, your model of a model is is a remarkable way of building a prototype. Is this one somewhat larger than the previous two that you've shown here? Hugh.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2015, 11:44:55 PM »
Once again, your model of a model is is a remarkable way of building a prototype. Is this one somewhat larger than the previous two that you've shown here? Hugh.
Yes, this model will be 14" x 14" x 5" this is to avoid watchmaking with some of the parts ! I cannot seem to post photos at the mo ??
Willy
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:50:09 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2015, 02:11:21 AM »
more pics.....the base needs to be changed slightly as the photo shows and the other a frame is completed

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2015, 01:40:05 AM »
The cylinder base is now made and in position. It is quite quick using perspex ,i have a large quantity collected from skips. One just saws it up on a mini bandsaw and glue it together......The model will be quite large with a few parts under the base......the condenser (posh word for a bit of pipe) and the air pump ,that actually pumps water into the boiler feed water pump. I am still trying to find other models of these Woolf compound engines possibly working under steam ,so ,if anybody has seen any please post them.......
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 02:28:19 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2015, 01:09:21 AM »
The underneath of the cyl table is glued on, this is the casting connection for the condenser pipe. I was rather confused as to the exhaust arrangement via the LP cylinder and have surmised that the exhaust passages divide and exits via the two protuberances at the front of the cylinder casting. The cylinder block was cast this way to look aesthetically pleasing as well as to balance the shrinking forces to stop too much distortion when the casting cooled.......i think !!You can see on the HP web where the casting has shrunk !also the steam jacket drain pipe connection.Also i saw this in the Model engineers mag from the BBC and was wondering about submitting an application !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2015, 01:52:53 AM »
The steel base is started with chain drilling sawing and filing, Hopefully i should only have to do this once unlike the Hedley that took 3 attempts !!  This is the advantage of making the perspex one first.Also i found a vid of the Dogdyke engine in the Fens That shows the starting procedure with the separate jet condenser lever that is similar to the Beenleigh   I think......

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2015, 04:28:16 PM »
looks like a good start! 
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal